Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

260 Details - What Are Yours?

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
1. Four-in-hand knot
2. Tie must hang at or just above the waistline
3. Hat must be OFF when at a table
4. Hat brim must be dead level at the sides when snapped down in front
5. Hat must not be pulled down too far on head and should be placed on the head such that the effect is a raffish sort of casualness while exuding a respect for the inherent elegance of a fedora
6. Must not be too much extra shirt material bunching up above the waist (thus, custom shirts are required)
7. "Gig line" must be a straight line (shirt buttons to belt buckle to pants zipper)
8. Dress socks must be pulled up all the way
9. Shoes should have leather soles
10. Black and gray are to be avoided by opting for dark hues of actual colors
11. ETC.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Forget the superfluous stuff. The most interesting folks I've met in life probably didn't have any fashion sense at all but they had PERSONALITIES!
This along with good manners and the ability to listen makes the person. I've come across way to many abrasive jerks dressed well who I wouldn't turn a hose on if they were afire.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Twitch said:
Forget the superfluous stuff. The most interesting folks I've met in life probably didn't have any fashion sense at all but they had PERSONALITIES!
This along with good manners and the ability to listen makes the person. I've come across way to many abrasive jerks dressed well who I wouldn't turn a hose on if they were afire.
I like to think that my "strongly accentuated" character, and my wide array of life experiences, are what lend themselves to certain idiosyncrasies, of the sartorial type and the cerebral type. I myself have yet to meet what I'd call a "real character" who didn't have a distinct style of dress, whether it be from lack of attention to it or from hyper attention to it.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Zemke Fan said:
But I -- for one -- have yet to meet anyone here who adheres to a "code of vintage authenticity." Everyone seems to have their own standards and with the very few (mostly women) who dress head-to-toe vintage every day, all of the rest of us mix in whatever vintage elements work for us individually. As for me, my vintage touches include some antique watches, cufflinks, and hats. But, even in these categories, most of my accoutrements are classic in style but not vintage in age.

That is the beauty of the lounge. I notice there are many different types here. Some aspire towards a classic look, weather it be vintage or modern. Others aspire towards a mix of old and new, using the best elements of the past, mixing in touches here and there.

Personally, I never wear vintage anymore, although I used to 24/7 in San Francisco. My daily wardrobe only has a few vintage items that look fairly contemporary but are better quality and cheaper.

But I have a closet full of vintage clothes and on occasions, such as parties, I will break it out. At that time, other than my socks sometimes, I wear all vintage and put it together in a scrupulously vintage way t hat will only matter to me. I time my tie with the skinny end long, I wear my belt to the side, I cock my hat just so. It is as much an exercise as it is a look. That is the fun for me.

Disclaimer, when I want to look more hip, I will wear a modern black shirt with my suit.

But I do miss the days when I was always dressed up, and kind of lived the life of a well dressed gentleman.

FUnny thing is, if I worked in an office or something where I had to dress up, I would probably be the type who cultivated a classic, well dressed look all the time and would enjoy it. But I honestly cultivate a strictly vintage look. What I wear stands out as vintage. IT would never fit in in an office, and when I walk down the street, people think, "Hey, look at that guy dressed in old style." This is a blessing and a curse. In San Francisco, it went over well. In Seattle it does not and I just end up feeling weird. Maybe a better man than I could pull it off, but I just can't here.

Well, I miss those days, and did get a chance to dress up over the holidays.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
If I had the means, I'd be 100% vintage. You don't have to wear a suit, although it's certainly a great look and a finger in the eye of overly casual and sloppy modern society. Wild Root seems to be able to pull off a well-composed vintage casual. I'd like to find some striped T-shirts and silk sport shirts, properly cut flat-front trousers that AREN'T cotton khakis, so forth. I'm well-stocked in vintage / repro (I will NOT call what I do / buy / wear 'retro', it implies cheap, hokey imitation in my mind...I'm such a snob.) sneakers and will be for a long time.

If I could get 100% vintage at the same price as modern stuff or cheaper, I would...it's tough to find, and there's the issue of not wearing it out because it's not only rare, it's a piece of history. As it is, I try to find stuff that is timeless / classic in looks and construction that won't break the bank. I want the look and the quality, the style and substance...which is tough to do, especially on my budget.

I'm t-shirt and jeans most of the time these days. 2" - 3" cuffs on the jeans, PF Flyers for sneakers, plain white t-shirts and either an A-2 or my gabardine gas station jacket. When I had my office / corporate / industry jobs, I'd wear full-blown vintage at least one day out of the week, and the rest would be vintage inspired or mixed & matched.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
My shirt must fit immaculately; meaning that it does not blouse nor is the collar loose nor are the collar points poorly cut and the collar must also roll correctly furthermore, the cuffs must show at least two-thirds of an inch when worn with a coat or sweater. The collar must also show above the coat collar and cover most of my neck up to the hair-line. Preferably, the cuff-links are partially visible when a coat is worn. The breast of the shirt must lie flat.

The tie must have a dimple and if it is a bow-tie, it must have two dimples! Cravats must be appropriately arranged (and possibly pinned) after being tied.

The hat must be pinched and arranged in a stylish and personal manner and I usually wear my hat slightly cocked at a somewhat rakish angle. (meaning in the style in which a rake or a cad or a scoundrel might wear his hat! Though, I hope I should not be mistaken for a rake.)

My pocket-watch chain must be perfectly straight (un-twisted) and gracefully arc in the proper way.

My pocket linen must just gently peek up above the edge of my breast pocket enough so that it is visible and the fact that it is hand sewn is visible and if my pocket kerchief is a silken pocket scarf, it must be appropriately arranged to appear insouciantly haphazard. The work we put in to appear as if we didn't put any work in is sometimes amazing to me as a man.

My shoes must be gorgeously shined so that one may see one's reflection.

My collar must be straight and my neck-wear must not be riding up on my detachable collar but properly snugged beneath the front and back studs when the collar is stand up.

A vest or sweater is a must, also my rings; usually three if gold or four if silver.

Leather colors must match. My two exceptions to this are the leather patches on riding breeches and gloves though brown gloves should never be worn with black shoes or black gloves with brown shoes. Suspender leathers should generally match but the exception to this is white suspenders which have white leather straps and these go with everything.

Matching metal tones. Collar studs, cuff-links, belt buckles (when worn, I usually don't wear belts), rings, pocket-watch and pocket-watch chain, pen or pencil, tie-pin (cravat pin), and any other studs or buttons or bits of metal which may be lying about with the exception of metal bits on suspenders.

Oh, and the socks must be interesting and usually do not match either my shoes or trousers. My socks are in most cases spring green and patterned with fuchsia, or they are bright crimson (a sort of blood or carnelian red), or they are pure fuchsia with the exception of socks worn for funerals or formal evening or daytime events which are usually sheer black woolen or silken ones. (I do however often wear red socks with semi-formal evening attire: black tie)

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Orgetorix said:
Well, ain't this a geometrical oddity! What does a perfectly straight arc look like?
I have flat figaro links on some of my watch chains. These tend to look messy when they do not lie flat....Also when the chains do not lie flat, the chain does not curve in a gentle parabolic arc as it is supposed to....Furthermore, my braided silver single-Albert chain has a drop chain which is of a sort which also "lies" a certain way and which when it does not lie in it's flat manner twists and looks twisted and messy and also does not allow a good view of my Athenian tetradrachm. In short, I do not like my pocket-watch chains to be twisted or disordered. I don't find anything particularly funny about it. Any chain can become twisted even when it is composed of cylindrically woven or interconnected links and when this happens, the arc will not lie flatly. The arc is after all a more or less two-dimensional thing it only arcs in one direction and lies flat in the other. There is no contradiction in terms.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Widebrim said:
Wow, this thread's been out of commission for some time! I think, Evan Everhart, that you have really covered most of the bases, though. :eusa_clap

Thank you much sir! Hehe! I just use my grand-father, great-uncle, and great-grand-parents as my stylistic guides...A lot of them were tailors or damnably stylish men or both. They were all pretty strongly influenced by British style (though who wasn't in the late 19th and early 20th centuries?) I go for a sort of British aristocratic style from between the 1880s through the late 1920s. That's my Golden era, the Edwardian period and the Art Deco or Moderne movement! I also like the fact that what we consider stylish or classically stylish has hardly changed at all in the past 120 years! It's amazing and a true statement to the traditionalism of Male Society and Culture. Anyhow, I'm superbly pleased at your response sir!

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Zemke Fan said:
You take the retentiveness philosophy/concept/lifestyle to a whole new level! :eek:

I am a gentleman and a gentleman really is first and foremost a perfectionist in a great many things whether it is his bearing, conversation, dress, or any other number of a whole host of things, they must be done perfectly and with the utmost refinement.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I recognize you now...!

Evan Everhart said:
I am a gentleman and a gentleman really is first and foremost a perfectionist in a great many things whether it is his bearing, conversation, dress, or any other number of a whole host of things, they must be done perfectly and with the utmost refinement.
You're the young chap who plays Chuck Bass on Gossip Girl! Am I right, or am I right! :)

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Zemke Fan said:
You're the young chap who plays Chuck Bass on Gossip Girl! Am I right, or am I right! :)

That's a television program, right? I don't watch much television outside of the old A&E Sherlock Holmes and Poirot series (including the new episodes that I borrow from friends who buy them) There's just not much on that interests me anymore...3rd Rock From The Sun is gone, Sherlock Holmes is gone and Jeremy Brett is dead....Frasier is gone (though half the time the cut of his lapels nauseated me), that wonderful show from the 90s about the Napoleonic mercenaries is gone...Television just makes me kind of sad these days. To answer your question; no, I am not anyone who plays anyone, just myself, Evan A. Everhart...Who is this person in this role? Does he look like me, or is it a character reference? Anyhow, right oh and all that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic