Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

260 Details - What Are Yours?

Travis

Suspended
I read that Cary Grant once said "It takes 260 details to add up to a good impression." Obviously the small things matter. You can be wearing a $2000 bespoke suit but you just won't look good if you don't pay attention to the small things. I was curious as to what other Loungers thought of as far as small details that could be easily overlooked, but make all the difference.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Travis said:
I read that Cary Grant once said "It takes 260 details to add up to a good impression." Obviously the small things matter. You can be wearing a $2000 bespoke suit but you just won't look good if you don't pay attention to the small things. I was curious as to what other Loungers thought of as far as small details that could be easily overlooked, but make all the difference.

Just a few:
- Quality shoes, well maintained and shined
- Just the right amount of break in the trousers
- Trousers have a well-pressed crease
- 1/4"-1/2" of shirt cuff showing at the jacket sleeve
- Jacket lapels roll gracefully instead of being pressed flat
- 1/2" of shirt collar showing above the jacket collar

pigeon toe

One Too Many
For the ladies (just a few!):

- proper foundation garment (such as a girdle)
- stockings (seamed, especially, and with attention paid to color and heel type)
- gloves, hats
- eyebrow shape

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pigeon toe said:
For the ladies (just a few!):

- proper foundation garment (such as a girdle)
- stockings (seamed, especially, and with attention paid to color and heel type)
- gloves, hats
- eyebrow shape

I second all of these, Pigeon toe:)

I would also add proper skirt/pant length. Woman come in all different shapes and sizes. Mini skirts just don't look good on all girls. Personally I think that all ladies should wear a skirt that falls just below the knee. If your legs are long and thin it's OK to go a bit shorter but, too many girls these days are wearing these incredibly short, very unflattering skirts. Pant length is important too. For me, they have to be hemmed perfectly. Too long can look sloppy, too short and you look like you got caught in a flood!:eek:

Accessories like jewelry also tell me that someone paid a little extra attention to detail. The right earrings, necklace, watch etc. can turn a simple or plain outfit into a great looking get up.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
My haberdasheral hang-ups

- accordion sleeves (the multi-wrinkles radiating from the inner elbow bend
- lapels that just smack into each other instead of rolling nicely
- too much break in the pants, especially if they drag the pavement in back
- visibly scuffed or smudged shoes (altho they don't have to be spit shiney)
- waistbands that flop and roll over
- pants pleats that pull open
- too much shirt cuff under coat sleeve
- shirt that crumples or wrinkles too much under coat
- skinny end of tie dangling below fat (Groucho Marx effect)
- black shoes with tan (Navy officers excepted)
- ripples in edges of hat brim

The Wingnut

One Too Many
An overall consistent color palette is important for me. For example, today I'm wearing a plain white T-shirt, a greenish gray gabardine '30s gas station jacket, blue jeans(they don't come in many other colors...) and light green, gray and white PF Flyer Centers.

The little details:

A stainless bracelet with a pair of WWII original USAAF propwing insignia attached. My guess is that the stainless came from an exhaust shroud of some sort. The creator of this piece was clever enough to use the clutch pins as rivets, cutting them short and hammering them down through holes in the stainless.

The belt is a very well aged bridle leather, 2" and at least 1/8" thick, probably closer to 3/16". It's got a much-maligned but intensely loved pewter screaming eagle head for a buckle, highly stylized and more a piece of art than biker kitsch.

The watch is simple, a Seiko 7S26A military automatic. Black face, 24-hour dial, white markings & hands. I suppose an A-11 hack watch would be more appropriate, or my grandpa's Benrus that he bought in 1940, but both need work at the moment.

Now, this is purely casual dress. It's no 260 points, that's for sure. If I were to go through what I wore on New Year's, now...that's a different story.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
To go beyond the clothing and accessories...

Stand up straight...no slouching!

Greet ladies and gentlemen appropriately (this is a whole other thread). I will say that I love to hear, "Nice to meet you" instead of "Nice to meetchew".

Look presentable. Gentlemen, please shave and take care of your hair and fingernails. Ladies, please do the same :) .

There are others that contribute to the 260 details, but these are some that I notice.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:

I agree with you on all of these, except to say that when the tie's back blade is just barely longer (1/2" or less) than the forepart, it can be a nice, understated, very Italian touch.

lindylady

A-List Customer
SinatraStyle said:
Look presentable. Gentlemen, please shave and take care of your hair and fingernails. Ladies, please do the same :) .

There are others that contribute to the 260 details, but these are some that I notice.

Don't forget about taking care of your teeth :D

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
I second all of these, Pigeon toe:)

I would also add proper skirt/pant length. Woman come in all different shapes and sizes. Mini skirts just don't look good on all girls. Personally I think that all ladies should wear a skirt that falls just below the knee. If your legs are long and thin it's OK to go a bit shorter but, too many girls these days are wearing these incredibly short, very unflattering skirts. Pant length is important too. For me, they have to be hemmed perfectly. Too long can look sloppy, too short and you look like you got caught in a flood!:eek:

I agree with you completely, Daisy. Length is very important. Another thing that irks me (and now I will sound really old fashioned) is the look of mini-skirts with three inch heels and without hose or stockings. I personally never wear mini-skirts (always lower than the knee!) but I find that particular look to be incomplete.

Also, pants! Too long, and the ends will get raggedy without fail.

And lindylady is right too! Teeth are a very important detail :D

CharlieH.

One Too Many
My details:
- Wristwatch under the cuff
- Properly done tie
- Spotless shoes
- Completely clean shaven face (and neck!)
- Properly parted hair
- No "tails" on the back of the head
- Clean sunglasses
- Sweater tuck
- Pockets on the inside
- The Fly
- Rakishly angled hat

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I agree with the ladies and would like to add, finger nails, and toe nails, they must be clean, and cared for, though polish can be optional, especially for the fellas, toe nails should always be as short as possible in my mind, this is because when training in Karate it is one of the worst ettiquette mistakes, an accidental kick to the face is ten times worse when an icky toe nail takes a chunk out of you!:eek:
Also perfume and cologne must be subtle, not overpowering.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:

I always tie my tie skinny end long. I see it in old photos all the time. I think the idea was to try to look so devil may care, too busy being adventurous to pay attention to small things. True, it was an affectation, and my paying attention to it is a further affectation, but I feel that my knowing and paying attention to an affecation that most people would not recognize or understand, makes my affectation, not so much an affectation as a bold statement, or at least a fashion quirk that makes the outfit my own. I often lean towards odd elements I pick up from movies and pictures. I love the odd fashion quirks you find amongst actors, film people, musicians and black hipsters. Remember that there were fashion elements back in the day that were just as outrageous as the pants around the knees. In fact, black hipsters would sometimes wear their newsboy caps sideways.

Personally, I tend to make sure my suits fit, am anal abouty my shirt collars looking vintage, and always seek out the best hat and tie I can find, then try to put them together in color combinations that look good to me. Plus, i am a stickler for being period correct, only breaking it out of conscious choices. but then, I don';t worry abourt it much. I know that in Seattle most people will not notice or get it, so what do I care. As long as I am having fun and satisfying myself that I am adhering to a code of vintage authenticity that only I, and a select few such as yourselves know and understand, then I am content. I dress for fun.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Maybe I'm mistaken...

reetpleat said:
I As long as I am having fun and satisfying myself that I am adhering to a code of vintage authenticity that only I, and a select few such as yourselves know and understand, then I am content. I dress for fun.
But I -- for one -- have yet to meet anyone here who adheres to a "code of vintage authenticity." Everyone seems to have their own standards and with the very few (mostly women) who dress head-to-toe vintage every day, all of the rest of us mix in whatever vintage elements work for us individually. As for me, my vintage touches include some antique watches, cufflinks, and hats. But, even in these categories, most of my accoutrements are classic in style but not vintage in age.

Feraud

Bartender
A serious inquiry -
Zemke Fan said:
Everyone seems to have their own standards and with the very few (mostly women) who dress head-to-toe vintage every day,
What ladies do this? I am under the impression that most of us mix modern and vintage.
By looking at the members photos I get the impression more men are "Vintage oriented" (a new term? lol ) than the ladies.
No offense to the gals! :)

Then again I may have this perception because I do not see as many photo of the women as I do men. [huh]

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
CG was the man!

Just finished reading Richard's book Cary Grant a Celebration of Style and find this thread to be very timely.

Some of my details (much less than CG's 260!):
  • Soes and belts that match. (Made easier since most all of mine are AEs.)
  • Belt buckle, watch, and cufflinks that match. (Either silver/nickel or gold/brass.)
  • Socks that are the same color as trousers. (Not the same color as shoes.)
  • Carefully coordinated ties and pocket squares. (I don't always wear pocket squares.)
  • High quality and complimentary outerwear: hat, overcoat, scarf, gloves.
  • Gloves and briefcase of the same color as shoes. (Brown/tan or black.)

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
You need to hang around OUTSIDE the Powder Room...

Feraud said:
A serious inquiry - What ladies do this? I am under the impression that most of us mix modern and vintage. By looking at the members photos I get the impression more men are "Vintage oriented" (a new term? lol ) than the ladies. No offense to the gals! :)
... a little more frequently! We've got a number of dolls who are into a 24/7 vintage lifestyle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy