Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3:10 to Yuma

Rob

Familiar Face
The word on the street is that they've done a good job with this film. Sure, there'll always be a pocket of people who want to like the original because it's the original and will never give this film a go - and that's fine. I don't believe the budget was particularly high (despite the casting), so it's not like it needs to recoup oodles of dollars, Spielberg-style, to be a success, anyway.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Loved it. Predictable all the way through, but isn't that what westerns are all about?

That's the first time I didn't want to kick Christian Bale in the teeth. Maybe the mustache covered the smug smirk.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Yuma 3 out of 5 Stars

I never saw the original & had high hopes BUT!!!!

1. Peter Fonda's role wasn't well developed. I mean a gut shot
then in the next scene he's all better :rolleyes:

2. Russel Crowe is a good actor BUT not a great actor & the last
scene when he steped onto the train was NOT convincing based
upon the emotions his character showed :rolleyes:

3. Christian Bale was superb & steals every scene he is in :eusa_clap

4. The actor who played the head bad guy in Crowes gang was also superb. :eusa_clap

Solid Citizen ;)

Josephine

One Too Many
I saw it today and I liked it well enough. :) So put one in the "Liked It" column. Though I have to admit I was looking at everyone's hats most of the time, thanks to you all. ;)

vintage68

Practically Family
Solid Citizen said:
4. The actor who played the head bad guy in Crowes gang was also superb. :eusa_clap

Solid Citizen ;)

I agree, the segundo to Crowe was excellent. He's been in several films playing the bad guy, most recently with Bruce Willis in Hostage, but in that one I thought he overacted a bit...

ShortClara

One Too Many
Well, I think Crowe is not just good, but Great in pretty much everything and 3:10 was no exception. Wonderful movie! Felt like it flew by!!

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Solid Citizen said:
I never saw the original & had high hopes BUT!!!!

1. Peter Fonda's role wasn't well developed. I mean a gut shot
then in the next scene he's all better :rolleyes:

Yah, what was that about? His character was real hardened and cool, too. I expected more.

Yah, Christian Bale out acted Russell Crowe. I haven't thought that much of Crowe (with the exception of LA Confidential and Master and Commander), but I didn't dislike him in 3:10.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I finally got to see this over the weekend. I kind of anticipated the ending, but definitely not the scene with Crowe and his gang (I won't mention what happens). I haven't read the short story or seen the original movie, so I was a complete newby to the story.

I love Russell Crowe and Christian Bale, so I was looking forward to seeing them interact.

I liked it - didn't love it - and would watch it again.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Just saw it and can not believe anyone liked it. OF course you are welcome to your opinion and I wll respect that. But gosh, i was so dissapointed.

Totally unbelievable. If you are going to try to convince me that Russell crowe's character would actually do that, it will take a lot more convincing. Crowe comes off as a bit of a yobo with no real character, and the hat didn't do him any favors. I in no way could believe he would actually do what he did.

I suppose we are supposed to believe that since his mom abandoned him, he somehow is so moved by the actions of a good father that he ould go to hos death just to allow him to follow through on his vision of righteousness.

Oh wait, Crowe has escaped from federal confinement in Yuma twice so he will surely get out again, especially if he gets his horse to follow the train.

I didn't buy any of it for a minute.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I also saw it last night. Pretty good, though it was hard to believe it was really the 1860s with its very contemporary attitudes and the action amped up for today's audiences (a wagon-mounted Gattling gun?!?) I don't recall the 1957 version having anywhere near the body count of this film! But it was smart, well played, nicely filmed, and held my interest.

Am I the only one who finds it a bit weird that such a prototypical American story had a Welsh/English actor and a Kiwi/Aussie actor in the lead roles?!? (Of course, as always with Brit- and Aussie-schooled actors, their American accents were great - and hearing them speak with their native accents in the documentary footage was a trip!)

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I actually enjoyed this film, and although I wouldn't say it was great, it was entertaining. I thought it was reasonably well done, and overall I was just pleased to see a new Western in the theatre!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
Am I the only one who finds it a bit weird that such a prototypical American story had a Welsh/English actor and a Kiwi/Aussie actor in the lead roles?!? (Of course, as always with Brit- and Aussie-schooled actors, their American accents were great - and hearing them speak with their native accents in the documentary footage was a trip!)

happening a lot these days...

Caledonia

Practically Family
Enjoyed it. Saw the flaws. Enjoyed it. Had no idea it was a remake till a moment ago. Crowe's character was fine by me, possibly a teensy bit "would he really do that?" Bale fell into the same category as far as I can see though. Husband found it unutterably boring and walked out before the end. The ending was the right side of tolerable, but not sure I'm really buying it except for the fact I enjoyed the film so what the heck! Colour and costume were great, script a tad to the weak side, poster is fabulous and must get one for the wall. :)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
I also saw it last night. Pretty good, though it was hard to believe it was really the 1860s with its very contemporary attitudes and the action amped up for today's audiences (a wagon-mounted Gattling gun?!?) I don't recall the 1957 version having anywhere near the body count of this film! But it was smart, well played, nicely filmed, and held my interest.

It would arguably be more authentic to populate the whole film with non american natives. So much of the population was either an immigrant, or child of immigrants. Plus, accents were less standardized, so I imagine the foreign languages and accents heard in the US in 1865 were quite varried and interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21