Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30s-40s German leather jacket, leather care tips, misc advice wanted

ba ba booey

New in Town
Hi Everyone,
First post after browsing some here. I have been interested in Vintage Leather Jackets for the last couple years and recently purchased one on Ebay from a vendor in Berlin. It is a 30s-40s leather jacket with styling that I think is pretty sharp. For the age of the jacket it is in awesome shape. I believe that at some point in time the main zipper may have been replaced, but other than that it appears pretty original. The zippers were just a tad rough, so after a little reading I tried to rub a little candle wax from an unscented candle onto the zipper teeth. That didn't go so well so I took some other advice and used a very small amount of chapstick which seemed to improve the zipper smoothness. So I'm asking for the following advice:
1. The leather is a little on the dry side all the way around. It is hard to see in photographs, but there is a small amount of crackling to the leather around the shoulders and on one of the sleaves. It took over a month to arrive, and it was packaged in plastic, so I hope it wasn't dried out too much being shipped around the globe this way. The leather belt itself is definitely the most dry and brittle feeling. I'm not at all versed in leather care. I'm not sure what, if any product I should apply to aid in the longevity of the leather, or if I should just leave it alone. I've seen some products on amazon, but Im not looking to negatively alter the leather in any way, and don't want to "bubba" this jacket. Also Im obviously not looking to be in the rain at all with this, but I don't know what would help protect it for a minute if it started to pour. Ive read, maybe incorrectly, that water proofing can be bad for the pours but don't know if that's true. Thoughts on leather care in general?
2. Are padded hangers better for storage? Right now its just on a plastic old wilsons hanger.
3. seems a little silly to ask this, but how do most of you store the belt on the jacket when it is on a hanger? Just let it hang "unbuckled", take it off the coat and hang it or buckle it (of course it drops this way) Not looking to split hairs here just don't want to malform the belt, not anything Ive ever owned before...

Here are some pictures from the original ad. I can take some more close up ones if that would be helpful:
jacket2_zpsa920a431.jpg

jacket1_zps3924c124.jpg

jacket3_zpseae25fcf.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket. Leather is generally fine in water. I'd simply get Pecards leather dressing and rub it in. It's used by people who preserve old leathers, including the folks at the Smithonian Institution. Don't use neatsfoot oil, I find it can rot stitching.

Surferbruce

Familiar Face
Another vote for Pecards conditioner. Padded hangers are nice, I use some for pipe insulation over a wooden hanger (when I actually hang it up vs. being chucked on the floor in a crumpled pile)

If you use Pecards, do it sparingly and rub it in well. If you use too much, it will collect in seams and turn white and gooey. Just a little rubbed in, left a day or so, then a second helping,excess wiped off, maybe a third should do the trick.

I think Antique and regular are the same.
I use the tub of antique. It's a bit like Vaseline as you're putting it on. I don't like the lotion personally. I think the other gets more even coverage.

ba ba booey

New in Town
I think Antique and regular are the same.
I use the tub of antique. It's a bit like Vaseline as you're putting it on. I don't like the lotion personally. I think the other gets more even coverage.
Thanks. Do you apply this like car wax--let it dry and buff it out? Or just sort of rub it in?

Rub it in, then wait for the jacket to soak it up (day or so) then wipe off excess...wait another day and repeat.
2x should be ok.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket. Leather is generally fine in water. I'd simply get Pecards leather dressing and rub it in. It's used by people who preserve old leathers, including the folks at the Smithonian Institution. Don't use neatsfoot oil, I find it can rot stitching.

+1 I used Pecards to revive a dried-out old Mary Quant leather jacket that my other half bought on eBay. Brought it up a treat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy