Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on Budget Leather Jacket

memories

New in Town
Hello, I appologise for my English.
I need some help and peace of advice.
I wan't to buy budget leather jacket and I have some options:
1. Fivestar - cost 300$ (inc. 100$ delivery) - only default jacket, not custom, steer hide.
Link - https://www.fivestarleather.us/coll...4NlomPcBvSn5punEWkiRI1UoUAR-dMLKQuCKAHUGXpz5w
2. Simons - almost the same price, horse hide, but I don't like zipper side pockets and size chart is different from different sellers
Link - https://aliexpress.ru/item/10050028...t.0.0.40844aa6iCHmyO&sku_id=12000022613950552
3. Cidu - horse hide without zipper pockets
Link - https://aliexpress.ru/item/10050060...t.0.0.4a904aa6vi4FKF&sku_id=12000035496125578

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you want a Five Star daily wear jacket, get something like this H&L Block or this Cagleco.

Patterned on an original of each maker so you won't be dealing with their in-house (and frankly bad) pattern work.

DSC_5851_copy_480x480.jpg

The G-1 design is pretty much the most versatile leather jacket type; the underarm gussets and action back give you an insane range of movement, so much so that I can wear one two sizes down (I would not recommend this; I just happened to get a vintage one from the War that I wanted to try on). It dresses up and down nicely. Really it's like a half-belt with patch pockets.

My understanding is the AliExpress jackets are even more of a gamble than Five Star. Members have reported the display image being one thing and the received jacket being something completely different. But the good ones look quite nice.

Aloysius

How accurate are the sizing charts? Some models show me as a xxs/36 when I typically wear a medium/ 40

I think the measurement charts on the RTW models are considered pretty accurate. As always with leather jackets, size labels by themselves are meaningless in and of themselves.

With a G-1 type jacket, you should aim for at least 4" of chest room, though naval aviators tended to wear them bigger than that, so both types of fit are correct.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I may be the odd man out here, but I started this journey buying primarily pre-loved jackets.

I still prefer them today. Once in a while I'll go for a new/custom/MTO but overall, I just enjoy the hunt and buy/sell via ebay & FL Classifieds. It's just a lot more fun and many very good/great quality jackets can be had for well under your budget there. See the "Finds & Deals" thread for much more info.

karlito

New in Town
I think the measurement charts on the RTW models are considered pretty accurate. As always with leather jackets, size labels by themselves are meaningless in and of themselves.

Thanks for the reply. I cannot understand why sizing, whether jackets or footwear , or whatever simply is not standardized. If a jacket has a pit to pit measurement of X then it is a size Y.

Aloysius

I may be the odd man out here, but I started this journey buying primarily pre-loved jackets.

I still prefer them today. Once in a while I'll go for a new/custom/MTO but overall, I just enjoy the hunt and buy/sell via ebay & FL Classifieds. It's just a lot more fun and many very good/great quality jackets can be had for well under your budget there. See the "Finds & Deals" thread for much more info.

They're hard to beat, but OP is in Russia so the oodles of vintage workwear available in the US aren't really in contention.

Thanks for the reply. I cannot understand why sizing, whether jackets or footwear , or whatever simply is not standardized. If a jacket has a pit to pit measurement of X then it is a size Y.

That wouldn't work. Even leaving aside that I think PTP measurements and the like are themselves often misleading absent context (I've posted jackets that look slim despite technically having 8" chest space, for example), different kinds of jackets call for different measurements even at the same size. If you go to a reputable men's store, admittedly not many of them around anymore, a size 40 overcoat would be bigger than a size 40 suit for example, because the garment serves a different purpose.

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
What about a brand like schott aren't they relatively international since they are quite well known?

In russia maybe look for noble house leather.They have retailers there that stock their stuff .Even special models that you normally get in store only .You can try it out and send it back . Five star is in Pakistan and Cidu jackets are from China .

I know the owner of cidu and they make great stuff if it fits you . Only shop at official cidu stores .Other sellers often take their pictures and send you subpar counterfeits or lookalikes .

I don't know if it is against the rules here but if you want cidu then look for tailor Brando which is a side brand from them for European customers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner