Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking advice on first leather jacket

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Just saw some chopper pics. man it's cool but don't think I can pull it off lol.. I placed my order for an ar2 in BLK and it just so happens that they have one in stock. I for sure want it to be made of the 'new batches' but how could a noob like me know?..
See, herein lies the problem with asking questions about a first jacket on a site thats soooo deep down the rabbit hole that Alice is waving down from 10 stories above. Why do you ”for sure want it made from the new batches” when if given both you likely couldn’t tell the difference and would be happy with either. Please OP or contributors don’t read this in a negative tone. I just think when we talk about altering fits 1/16” or last years batch vs that amazing batch in 2004 it can suck some of the joy out of all this. Anyhow, the best advice imho above is to either delete your account and enjoy your jacket or to fish in the used pool and spend some time learning.

sunset

New in Town
fish in the used pool and spend some time learning.
This was my approach, highly recommended. It's all an experiment.

I've enjoyed basic jackets a long time, but lurked TFL and similar discussions for years. I registered to buy used and reap the benefits of forum regulars' knowledge. I got one perfect fit (a shearling, tis the season), and one near fit but monster of a horsehide which I've been working on and is finally approaching comfort.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
See, herein lies the problem with asking questions about a first jacket on a site thats soooo deep down the rabbit hole that Alice is waving down from 10 stories above. Why do you ”for sure want it made from the new batches” when if given both you likely couldn’t tell the difference and would be happy with either. Please OP or contributors don’t read this in a negative tone. I just think when we talk about altering fits 1/16” or last years batch vs that amazing batch in 2004 it can suck some of the joy out of all this. Anyhow, the best advice imho above is to either delete your account and enjoy your jacket or to fish in the used pool and spend some time learning.

This. Even the 'lesser' comp weight was a great layer, and members who own a ton of 90s comp weight like Carlos have noted there was variation even then, and he had jackets from the 'lesser' period of comp weight that he liked better.

It's all good.

Half the time the characteristics people here define as 'lesser' aren't actually a drop in quality. (Like when people prefer a jacket that they need to break in vs a leather of the same quality and weight that drapes from the get go.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner