Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's Barbering

Jovan

Suspended
Sorry about that. I guess I just haven't noticed this haircut a lot from older photos.

What miffed me is my friend once said that I shouldn't wear a club collar unless I was Hitler, just because one picture shows him donning it. :mad:

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jovan said:
Sorry about that. I guess I just haven't noticed this haircut a lot from older photos.

What miffed me is my friend once said that I shouldn't wear a club collar unless I was Hitler, just because one picture shows him donning it. :mad:

Sorry, Jovan, if I sounded too curt with that. I guess you shouldn't be a vegetarian either, because Hitler was one too, according to your friend's logic. Nor should you favor gun control or the environment, as he did too. And you shouldn't be Catholic, as he was raised one; nor should you be an atheist, as Stalin was atheist; nor should you marry a Chinese girl as Mao was Chinese, nor should criticize capitalist democracy since Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Al-Quaeda all did that, etc.
[On the subject of unfortunate associations for things: Well, how about this: I was at an academic conference in SF for my field, namely ancient history. To do graduate work in my field you have to pass LANGUAGE exams in latin, ancient greek, german, and either french or italian. There was a 20 year old girl I met at that conference who said, "I have no problem with the idea of learning latin, greek, and french, but I'm not learning German. I don't want to learn that Nazi s**t." Naturally I said, "That's messed up. That was only twelve years (1933-1945). You can't indict an entire culture, and an entire country, just because they had a genocidal regime for 12 years. That could happen to any country. That could happen here." To her credit, she chilled out.]
So hey barbers, what should I do with my hair for the AWKWARD PERIOD of growing out? It's now maybe 1/8 or 1/4 inch long. I have 2 months before I can slick it back, right? Doesn't hair grow a half inch per month? I have some nice hats (of course -- I am on the Lounge, aren't I?) but what else can I do?

Jovan

Suspended
Unfortunate, since German is pretty much the biggest contributor to English and a fantastic language.

Doesn't seem like there's much you can do. Just roll with it for now. There's been a number of buzz-cut gentlemen throughout history who can still look dapper. Peter Lorre in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea comes to mind.

Dr Doran

Yep, I guess I gotta suffer for style for a couple of months. Well, beauty often takes discipline. As Deeta von Teese would tell us.

Jovan

Suspended
Whatever you do, remember to apply sunscreen to your dome if you go out to the beach. I suffered a bit forgetting that a lot of rays go right through when I had a buzz cut as a kid.

SappySwami

Familiar Face
This is great! I have the haircut you were describing, Alphonse, and haven't had it cut in something like 3 months because I moved to San Francisco and have been too afraid to find a new barber. My old barber cut it the first time, and every time since (except once, and it was a mess.) and that was 6 or 7 years ago.

I came here looking for ideas for a barber that can do it in San Francisco. Most barbers just ask you what number to buzz you with nowadays (even my barber admits this. But she was a hair stylist in training, but runs a barber shop now.)

So, any good barber recommendations?

Of course it might be a good idea to get a different style with my hair thinning (at the age of 22. :rage:) and having had the same one for so long... but I like it!

alphonse capone

New in Town
San Fran Barbers

Swami , This is what i'd do if I was looking for a Barber :) kindly ask the Barber if he can fade or close taper that's the key to knowing if he can do it, then flash a picture of Jonh Dillinger * I've had that happen*. If he looks at you like :eek: move on to the next, you maybe heading for an san quentin inmate buzz! if he's an older Barber chances are very good he can do it, tight sides & flop the top ;). Or you can just watch the Barber do a few cuts , if they don't mind I would ask first , take in a picture of the cut you want, ask questions. Remeber the only dumb question is the one that's not asked ;). This coming from a working Barber standpoint the first haircut on a stranger is the hardest, knowing how short , how long, his demeanor, your demeanor all factor in. Pound the pavement & make a Barber shop tour of San fran.
Alphonse

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I just had a military funeral for a friend today and wore my service dress uniform for the first time since July of last year. I also have a short deployment on Friday.

...so, I had to get hacked. Down to the scalp on the sides, left a little(1" in the bangs and 1/2" everywhere else) on top. Typical fade. The cut prior to that, however, I had the barber take the sides to the skin, blend it in and 'trim the tips' on the top, which I had been growing out for about 3 months. What I ended up with was a killer '30s Germanic 'whitewall' cut that as it grew out still stayed pretty trim-looking for about a month. I part it high on the left and let it fall naturally. Due to thinning in the front, I've moved away from pomade and just use something that will give it its basic shape until I can comb it out later.

Dr Doran

alphonse capone said:
Swami , This is what i'd do if I was looking for a Barber :) kindly ask the Barber if he can fade or close taper that's the key to knowing if he can do it, then flash a picture of Jonh Dillinger * I've had that happen*. If he looks at you like :eek: move on to the next, you maybe heading for an san quentin inmate buzz! if he's an older Barber chances are very good he can do it, tight sides & flop the top ;). Or you can just watch the Barber do a few cuts , if they don't mind I would ask first , take in a picture of the cut you want, ask questions. Remeber the only dumb question is the one that's not asked ;). This coming from a working Barber standpoint the first haircut on a stranger is the hardest, knowing how short , how long, his demeanor, your demeanor all factor in. Pound the pavement & make a Barber shop tour of San fran.
Alphonse

Good point, Alphonse: one does need to ask. I got my hair cut on Polk Street in San Francisco about 5 years ago. The barber did not speak English well, and in fact must not have had the faintest idea what I was talking about. He tapered the back and sides just fine then started CHOPPING off the top, which I had carefully grown to about 6 inches. It was a year of work down the toilet. I was so angry I went home and shaved the whole thing to a number zero. If I had asked and made sure, it wouldn't have happened.

warbird

One Too Many
Caponio, any chance you or someone else here post some pics showing the different styles and saying how they are cut like that , the terms I mean. I just recently grew my hair out after shaving it for 7 or 8 years. I'd like to have some styles to show pics to my barber. He'd know how if I knew how to tell him or showed him. He's an old dude and still shaves around the ears and the neck with a straight razor.

Thanks

Dr Doran

warbird said:
Caponio, any chance you or someone else here post some pics showing the different styles and saying how they are cut like that , the terms I mean. I just recently grew my hair out after shaving it for 7 or 8 years. I'd like to have some styles to show pics to my barber. He'd know how if I knew how to tell him or showed him. He's an old dude and still shaves around the ears and the neck with a straight razor.

Thanks

I need that too. Same boat.

Big Man

As a kid, I always had a buzz cut during the summer (often times a "flat top"), then in the fall and winter it was allowed to grow out and be parted on the side. When I was a junior in high school (1972) I let my hair grow long (almost to the shoulder). For the next two years my Dad would say quite frequently: "Boy, you need a hair cut!"

Then, the day before graduation, a friend and I decided to get our heads buzzed (there was alcohol involved :eek: ). We went into the barber shop and I climbed into the chair first. I told the barber, "shave it all off." He looked at me in astonishment, and with one quick swipe made a skin-close swipe down the middle of my head with the clippers, spun the chair around so I could see in the mirror, and said, "Like this?" It was too late to turn back at that point! My buddy turned pale at that point and started to leave. I told him that if I had done it so would he - or I'd whoop him right then and there. Of course when I got home my dad said, "What the hell have you done."

For years after that I kept my hair "normal" length, until around 1992 when I became really involved in 18th century living history. At that time I let my hair grow long and kept it "clubbed" in the back (I'd kill anyone who said I had a "pony tail", but you get the picture). I never really liked long hair, but it was appropriate for what I was doing at the time.

Then about six years ago my son got married. I was the best man, and both my boys had clean-cut "high and tight" military hair cuts. At the rehearsal, I made the statement that I needed to get my hair cut to match the boy's so we would all look sharp in our tuxes. This brought the comment by my future daughter-in-law and my wife, "You better not do something stupid like that."

Well, there is just something about the challenge "don't do that' that I can't resist. So, early on the morning of the wedding day I was at the barbershop. I've kept my hair "high and tight" since, and wouldn't think of having it cut in any other way.

Rooster

Practically Family
Big Man said:
As a kid, I always had a buzz cut during the summer (often times a "flat top"), then in the fall and winter it was allowed to grow out and be parted on the side. When I was a junior in high school (1972) I let my hair grow long (almost to the shoulder). For the next two years my Dad would say quite frequently: "Boy, you need a hair cut!"

Then, the day before graduation, a friend and I decided to get our heads buzzed (there was alcohol involved :eek: ). We went into the barber shop and I climbed into the chair first. I told the barber, "shave it all off." He looked at me in astonishment, and with one quick swipe made a skin-close swipe down the middle of my head with the clippers, spun the chair around so I could see in the mirror, and said, "Like this?" It was too late to turn back at that point! My buddy turned pale at that point and started to leave. I told him that if I had done it so would he - or I'd whoop him right then and there. Of course when I got home my dad said, "What the hell have you done."

For years after that I kept my hair "normal" length, until around 1992 when I became really involved in 18th century living history. At that time I let my hair grow long and kept it "clubbed" in the back (I'd kill anyone who said I had a "pony tail", but you get the picture). I never really liked long hair, but it was appropriate for what I was doing at the time.

Then about six years ago my son got married. I was the best man, and both my boys had clean-cut "high and tight" military hair cuts. At the rehearsal, I made the statement that I needed to get my hair cut to match the boy's so we would all look sharp in our tuxes. This brought the comment by my future daughter-in-law and my wife, "You better not do something stupid like that."

Well, there is just something about the challenge "don't do that' that I can't resist. So, early on the morning of the wedding day I was at the barbershop. I've kept my hair "high and tight" since, and wouldn't think of having it cut in any other way.

Hey, we've probably crossed paths before, although I've not done anything in your area. I've done 18th century stuff since 1980. I build flintlocks for a living these days and don't have time to do any period events anymore. I sure like my short hair these days compared to an 18" "que";)
Mike Brooks
me1.jpg
[/IMG]

Big Man

:eek:fftopic: Well, well, well. Our paths have crossed over the years at Mansker's Station and (I believe) Martin's Station. It is, indeed, a small world.

AManandhisDog.jpg

(photo by David Wright)

alphonse capone

New in Town
This is Otter AKA Alphonse ;)

Now I know somewhere along the line I've met you Mike. This my alter ego Otter I've also been doing 18th cen reenacting for 20 or more years :eek: I've been to missasinaw, Prairie du chien, Grand Portage, Pine City, along with numerous other through the years. Aside from being a Barber I'm a Blacksmith, Silversmith & a Sailor & a proud father of 7 children. My photo was taken at Grand Portage next to the Mackinaw boat we sail on the big lake * Superior* . What a small world.
Alphonse
Otter, Royal Navy Bosuns mate , Great Lakes Squadron 1795-1812
GPotter.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy