Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's German Suit "C&A" Striped Peak Lapel 3-piece SB Sz. US 38

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Offering an original German 1930's suit made by "C&A".

The size is a US/UK 38, but also fit for 36. A white size label in the chest pocket denotes "48", which is the European equivalent to US/UK 38.

1-5.jpg

See exact measurements further below.

What makes this suit particularly collectable is the maker: "C&A Brenninkmayer", the thriving Belgian/German clothing retailer founded in 1841.
This suit has the original label of the famous "Formtreu - veredelt die Kleidung" ("true to form makes clothing noble") line, which was advertised in the "C&A-March" in 1934.
"Formtreu" was long-living, durable and wellmade clothing for the working and middle class, and existed until the 1980's. The label in this suit is the 1930's C&A logo, carrying the "Germanised" name of the Dutch-origin owner family Brenninkmeijer.

SAM_3540.jpg

During the 1930's, German garment production was still dominated by tailors, who naturally frowned upon the expanding off-the-rack and made-to-measure "confection" clothing industry for warehouses and retail stores.

It is not often that you will find a labelled "C&A" suit from the 1930's... much less in this condition. Most of the C&A "Formtreu" out there is at earliest 1950's (with different label). This is the only 1930's "Formtreu" suit I have hitherto seen.

The cut of the suit is the classic three-button three-piece suit with peak lapels. High waisted, straight trousers with pleats and cuffs, genuine "Steinnuß Hosenknöpfe" (stone nut pant buttons) and fob watch pocket.
Of course with "bunny ear" suspender straps, as typical for period German/Central European suits.
The shoulders are beautifully sloped upwards ("pagoda") as was the fashion of the early to mid 1930's. I would date this suit around 1934-36 due to the cut and style.

The fabric is a sturdy charcoal/black wool with grey chalk-stripes. A versatile suit for all occasions... equally suited for urban office & street wear, afternoon and evening parties or festive occasions.

The condition is good to very good. Minor traces of wear. No damages. Absolutely wearable. Will be sent ironed.

Measurements:

Shoulder 43 cm (shoulders) / 39 cm (narrowest point of upper back) - 16.9 in
Sleeves 61 cm (+ 4 cm to let out) - 25 in + 1.6 in
Chest 52 cm front - 20.5 in
Waist 47 cm - 18.5 in
Back with collar 74 cm - 29.1 in

Waist 82 cm (+ 4 cm to let out) - 32.3 in + 1.6 in
Leg (inside) 78 cm (+ 9 cm to let out) - 30.7 in + 3.5 in
Leg (outside) 106 cm - 41.7 in
Leg bottom width 26 cm - 10.2 in
Rise (crotch to top hem) 34 cm - 13.4 in

2-2.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Outside the European Union only Paypal. Within Germany and European Union I prefer bank transfer.
Shipping with tracking and insurance via DHL to destinations outside Europe. Within Europe tracked and insured Hermes Shipping.

I'd ask 135 GBP plus shipping.
Anyone interested PM me.

Best Regards - get it before it hits the bay next weekend! ;)

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
How I wish it to be just one size larger...
Model 1516.
I'm sure they are selling some Poly-suit under that number now.

Last edited:

wahine

Practically Family
Larger. I'm not exactly sure, I think it's German size 52 or 54 (men's sizes are still a mystery to me). Plus, he usually needs the jacket one size larger than the pants, which makes it hard to find something that fits. :p

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I see... that would be US/UK size 42-44. Regarding larger jackets and narrower pant waist, one can always take in the back seam of the pants.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner