Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30s stingy brim

alden405

A-List Customer
img595.jpg

on the chap

cptjeff

Practically Family
But they never made hats that stingy and tapered until the 60's! :whistling

Short too. With a little reshaping that hat could become a pretty standard 60's teardrop.

Also, another similar one on the man in the right background.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Great photo, as I am a believer that there were stingies made further back than most of us think....not main stream by any means, but if a smaller brim suited the face, I believe it would have made sence as far back as hats were made or able to be custom made. :eusa_clap

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
I know nothing about fashion but in the photo it's hard to imagine a 2-3/4" brim looking better than that stingy...given that guy's small face, the way his jacket is constructed and the collar on his shirt. If I were a Photoshop maven I'd try superimposing a big old "30's style" fedora on him and see if it looks as bad as I imagine it would.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Mulceber said:
Frankly, I don't even think that's a stingy. Looks like it's got a 2" brim, which isn't stingy in my book. -M

My book says 2 inches or less equals stingy. ;)

Of course my book is based on how it would look on my noggin...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There are plenty of varied hats of all eras posted on the Lounge and a number of hat ads describing the hat shown as tapered for a particular look.

Brim widths have been all over the place for as long as there have been hats. Just because one look was the style during a particular time doesn't mean it was the only style made.

scroll through the hats shown here for some wild examples of early fedoras.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
A while ago I started a thread on the 1931 version of The Maltese Falcon which sports a few gorgeous hats, most of them rather stingy. I took a couple of screenshoots from the flick and uploaded them. Have a look here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Similar style proportion and perhaps vintage

4237383381_8b60326deb.jpg

Just received this today. Looks to be very much like the above photo in terms of crease ribbon,brim and overall size. Its neither small nor stingy. 2-3/8" brim, 24 ligne ribbon, the low point of the crown is 4-3/8" front center. Deep center crease and side dents give it the taper and smaller overall appearance.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You're welcome. There's a ton of information on this site, and plenty of other sources in print and on the web. Take a look at here for lots more.

carldelo

One Too Many
Wow

texashatman said:
WOW! The Bohem and the Wrinkle are WILD! Thanks for that link.

There's a very stylish gent in his 70s or so that attends a dance my wife and I go to several times a year. He's about the best dancer I've ever seen in person (think Fred Astaire good) and wears a hat with the wrinkle bash most of the time. I kind of assumed he invented it - but that's definitely it in the Stetson book. If I ever get a cell phone with a camera, I'll try to get a shot of it someday. Thanks for the link Lefty.

PS - very happy to see the photo that started this thread - I favor a 2-1/4" brim, and it's nice to know they're not strictly the province of the modern...

anon`

One Too Many
Since this thread happens to be alive and well as of today, I'll just chime in thus: today I came home with a '30s-something-ish black fedora with a lovely (what I think is charcoal) ribbon that sports a 2" dimensional brim and 5½" crown.

Might end up for sale here, if it proves too recalcitrant to grow a little for my noggin...

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
cptjeff said:
But they never made hats that stingy and tapered until the 60's! :whistling

Short too. With a little reshaping that hat could become a pretty standard 60's teardrop.

Also, another similar one on the man in the right background.

Well, it's hard to tell how this hat really looks from a somewhat blurry 80+ year old photo. The hat tapers in towards the center due to the dents on the side, also must have pushed the center crease in more on the front to the rear giving it a serious reverse taper profile. I being one who views plenty of 20s to 30s movies, it's obvious to me that this young man is wearing a very common hand block style of the 20s to early 30s.

I own a few early hats... two of which are 2" brim width and have tall crowns of 5"-6" tall and can be blocked to look just as that young man is wearing.

I think he looks great! One cannot compare 20’s-30s fashions to what others may feel is a “better” look due to not understanding the trends or fads of the era. Many have been conditioned to believe a fedora only looks “good” one way because of what we see in movies and what others have set as the standard. And those individuals are mostly interested in “high fashion” or adventure fashion and not so much versed in daily fashions of the Jazz age to early Depression eras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80