Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

38 Abandoned Places

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
This stuff occasionally pops up and people post links here. Here's another one. I don't think anyone else has posted *this* particular one. Anyway, enjoy:

http://distractify.com/culture/arts/the-most-spectacular-abandoned-places-in-the-world/

That chateau gives me the bloody creeps...

miranda.jpg

"Welcome, Mr. Harker, to my house. Come freely, go safely, and of your own will".
"Count...Dracula?"
"I am...Dracula"

gear-guy

Practically Family
download (3).jpg

Not quite like you were thinking, but the Inca's left and abandoned this place. On another post I wrote that this is still my favorite place that I want to go back to.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
It's amazing how quickly some of these formidable looking structures fall into decay. In some cases, only a few years of disuse and the place is in ruins. Vandals and vagrants no doubt accelerate the process, but even in their absence nature reclaims these places quickly.
Simple routine maintenance like new paint, and constant habitation really keeps a place alive.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
It's amazing how quickly some of these formidable looking structures fall into decay. In some cases, only a few years of disuse and the place is in ruins. Vandals and vagrants no doubt accelerate the process, but even in their absence nature reclaims these places quickly.
Simple routine maintenance like new paint, and constant habitation really keeps a place alive.

If you are into what is known as 'Urban Exploration' as I am, try here also.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/

A question. Would these places still be of interest were they kept in a habitable condition?
Like old cars and Steam trains we only really look back with affection because they are not so common sights now.
J

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
In some cases, yes. I was lucky enough to have visited this place several times. http://www.stanhywet.org/
Now a fantastic museum, open to the public as it's former owner had wished. Remarkable given the fact that so many of the golden era's wealthy industrialists in this country had decreed that their mansions be demolished after their deaths. Afraid that someone else might get what they had worked for I suppose?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It must be fun (if a bit creepy) to explore old buildings. I reckon it'd be something I'd love doing as a group-event.

I did this a lot growing up and even in early adulthood. You need to be very careful in order to be safe. High quality flashlights (including extras tied to you in case yours is lost), rope (in case someone goes through a floor), first aid kit, rubber soled shoes, hardhats and a good sounding rod to make sure the floors are safe. I also like to have a headlamp or a bicycle light (flasher) attached to each person in case they do get separated and knocked unconscious. Cell phones or walkie talkies are a must for every person. Make sure you know where you can get good reception too- because the last thing you need if someone is seriously hurt is to be running around a building that is falling in around you looking for a signal.

Personally, I don't like tying people together but some people swear by it. Also be careful walking out around the buildings as there are often wells or pits whose covers have long rotted out.

Leave the place as you found it. Don't steal, graffiti, leave garbage, etc.

I once saw someone go through an attic in an occupied home and take a tumble down the stairs below- not fun. You want to avoid this. It is a lot of fun but very dangerous. Be careful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou