Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4-F during WWII?

matei

One Too Many
It must've been tough to be 4-F during wartime. Does anyone know how men deemed unsuitable for service were treated by society during this time?

I read a bit about Charles Bukowski's experiences in 1940s America, but somehow I don't think that his life would parallel that of the majority of 4-F males in the wartime US.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I know one guy

George Baily... he was treated OK.

This is a good question. I bet a lot depends on why the fellow was declared 4-F. If an issue were faked due to cowardice, that's hard to hide. But how do you mistreat someone who is too deaf or lame to do anything but get his buddies killed? They probably also went straight into some other war work at home to contribute.
The former probably got beat up a lot. The latter, respected.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Band of Brothers

In the HBO Mini Series "BAND OF BROTHERS", the interviews before each part, is with one of the actual men who fought in WWII in the 101st Airborne, 506th. They talk about how they joined the Airborne. One man said "there were four men in my town that were 4-F, and couldn't go. They committed suicide. (pause). (sic) It was a different time".

Then the "4-F" people, with obvious problems, such as hearing, vision, or other issues..they often found work in the civillian side of things, doing jobs for the war effort.

I assume those who "Faked" being 4-F, out of cowardess, were dispised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner