Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

45ACP Revolvers

Rathdown

Practically Family
Today, doing everything I could to avoid writing, I took lunch out and stopped by my local gun shop on the way back. In the bottom of the display case was a US Model of 1917 Smith & Wesson (SN 105xxx) that had been buffed smooth, reblued, and fitted with an ugly pair of truly home made grips. The bore was decent and the gun was "reasonably" tight. All around, a good shooter and something I thought should be in the $400-500 price range. The dealer had -- wait for it -- $899!!! on the sticker. In other words he was asking about the same money one would expect to pay for a gun with about 70% of it's original finish and with proper factory grips.

Remember guys, if you are buying a "Golden Era" handgun, a re-blued gun has zero collector value-- and should be priced accordingly; in other words far less than a gun retaining even 10% of it's original finish.

mrbieler

New in Town
I much prefer my S&W 1917 to my Colt New Service. Better balance and trigger, but it's a preference thing. I regret selling the Colt, but it was a Canadian military piece issued in .455Eley and converted (as many were) to .45Colt after re-importation.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Today, doing everything I could to avoid writing, I took lunch out and stopped by my local gun shop on the way back. In the bottom of the display case was a US Model of 1917 Smith & Wesson (SN 105xxx) that had been buffed smooth, reblued, and fitted with an ugly pair of truly home made grips. The bore was decent and the gun was "reasonably" tight. All around, a good shooter and something I thought should be in the $400-500 price range. The dealer had -- wait for it -- $899!!! on the sticker. In other words he was asking about the same money one would expect to pay for a gun with about 70% of it's original finish and with proper factory grips.

Remember guys, if you are buying a "Golden Era" handgun, a re-blued gun has zero collector value-- and should be priced accordingly; in other words far less than a gun retaining even 10% of it's original finish.

I get the same thing from gun shops around Delaware. 1911s and 1911A1s that have been mix matched and refinished (other than arsenal rebuilds) are being priced as if they were untouched. The rational...were else are you going to see one around here.. go figure. Gunbrocker and other online auctions are not much better. I am still looking for that "found in a shoe box" 1911....

Renault

One Too Many
I get the same thing from gun shops around Delaware. 1911s and 1911A1s that have been mix matched and refinished (other than arsenal rebuilds) are being priced as if they were untouched. The rational...were else are you going to see one around here.. go figure. Gunbrocker and other online auctions are not much better. I am still looking for that "found in a shoe box" 1911....

Had a customer bring in the absolute cleanest Artillery model P-08 DWM 1917 (with ALL the extras) I have ever seen! I had the honor to clean it up for him. I asked him where he got it. He stated that his grand dad had captured from a German officer in France toward the end of the great war, "with this". And then produced his 1911! It wasn't near as clean as the Parabellum.

Renalt

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Garage Sale 1911

I am still looking for that "found in a shoe box" 1911....
Would you settle for "Found At A Garage Sale" 1911?
IMG_3967.jpg

DesertDan

One Too Many
I love the K-frame snubbys. I had been looking for either a blue or nickle one for at least 15 years. It seems that others realize how great these six shot snubbies are to cary and shoot.

Kirk H.

Yep, my S&W M19 snubby is my regular CCW piece.

Bob_Fixico

New in Town
Well I own a Ruger Vaquero that came with a two cylinders one 45LC and 45ACP. I know it is not a Smith nor Colt now. She shoots with 45ACP really great at 10 yards or less. Beyond that 10 yard mark, good luck. Now The problem could be that it is in my hands and not in the hands of a marksman.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner