Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5* 1950’s All Weather Half belt repro seal brown goat

Cornelius

Practically Family
Same. Never cared.

Dang, this zipper thing might actually might be a deal breaker for me on the 5-Stars. I've lived in both Europe & E.Asia, been in jail, been to 10 Downing Street, climbed Kilimanjaro, driven on the left side of the road, hitchhiked around the deserts of Baja, climbed to the rim of an active volcano in Nicaragua, but whenever I picked up a lefthand zip jacket [cheap foreign army surplus] I've tried to be open-minded & deal with it but just cannot hang. Every single time it's like, WHAT IS WRONG with this jacket?! I need this to zip in the correct AMERICAN way!

(j/k this country's kind of a joke, especially this week)

Dang, this zipper thing might actually might be a deal breaker for me on the 5-Stars. I've lived in both Europe & E.Asia, been in jail, been to 10 Downing Street, climbed Kilimanjaro, driven on the left side of the road, hitchhiked around the deserts of Baja, climbed to the rim of an active volcano in Nicaragua, but whenever I picked up a lefthand zip jacket [cheap foreign army surplus] I've tried to be open-minded & deal with it but just cannot hang. Every single time it's like, WHAT IS WRONG with this jacket?! I need this to zip in the correct AMERICAN way!

I’m sure it would be no biggie to switch the pull side. I’m used to it. Had so many Brimaco CR’s that I almost don’t even notice it anymore.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I hear you. I have a couple jackets from the UK that came this way and I can get them zipped if I concentrate on it. If it was a custom order though I would try to remember to ask for the pull on the right side. Not a dealbreaker for me but just something I strongly prefer

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I hear you. I have a couple jackets from the UK that came this way and I can get them zipped if I concentrate on it. If it was a custom order though I would try to remember to ask for the pull on the right side. Not a dealbreaker for me but just something I strongly prefer

My sentiment exactly. Like Ton, I have limited ambidexterity in that I am ambidextrous but ONLY with the TV Remote.... Its not the end of the world to have a left side slide/pull but especially if it comes on a UK made jacket but if ordering custom, I'm goin with the old Righty Zip. Further, I'd like to pick up a vintage remake zipper to have Shawn put on my jacket when that day comes. As I would be providing the zipper, it would be a righty.

I could be wrong but I don't think you can just flip a zipper to the other side. It seems that would require turning the whole tape backwards and then its the back of the zipper base---it wouldn't look good and I'm not sure it would work. I think if you want a righty, Shawn would need to source one or we have to provide our own. Not sure about this. The experienced buyers would obviously have more insight into this.

Last edited:

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Hey guys - Some FiveStar 5* goat leather color questions . The left solo color, and the 2 on the right, these are the same color but different lighting exposure I guess.
Would you say the left side is Seal Brown ? And the right is a distressed dark brown? Are they the same color?
24D92441-51F4-4E50-91A2-DFA00334B3B2.jpeg
Or a different color scheme? Is the right a distressed version of the left What do you think ? Thanks in advance for your reply!

Last edited:

Bahabp100

Practically Family
That’s probably a question for Shawn. Are these 5 Star jackets?
Yes I did
The left is seal like he said then it was the wrong color and he remade the jacket with the distressed brown . Or did he just distress the seal into the distressed brown on left .

Last edited:
I’m not sure I understand the question. But from the looks of things it’s the same hide, with the left being undisturbed and the right having undergone some level of “distress”. Either way I’m not sure there is any difference in the original leathers? What did you order? “Just brown” is not an option. It’s russet, seal, red, etc...

Last edited:

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Here are 3 versions of my Dream Jacket - 01. The name given by Mr Shawn and FiveStar. It Was a dark brown distress test trial
2C8C1FB6-7C5B-4E2F-858B-797685FB6AAB.jpeg
V-2 new lighter distress trial test on left and original brown test on right for comparrison
5A17530B-FE3F-4536-BC27-6F4AE6B9B58E.jpeg

Then the 3rd and final is more lighter color distress and closer to the original. That I wanted. I am quite satisfied with it now. It shipped today. How long did it take DHL to USA these days FIVESTAR aka 5*, really does what ever it takes to satisfy a customer. It’s True that it’s made to my satisfaction before shipping with plenty of contact with the factory during production . Also I remembered to put zippers USA style on right (they were set and had to switch them, and I had to change a button to a snap and a snap to a button. Every task was done with gratitude from 5* team. Thanks guys!
FB77DFE4-D2A8-488A-8BC7-637FB611E22D.jpeg

Last edited:

Bahabp100

Practically Family
I’m not sure I understand the question. But from the looks of things it’s the same hide, with the left being undisturbed and the right having undergone some level of “distress”. Either way I’m not sure there is any difference in the original leathers? What did you order? “Just brown” is not an option. It’s russet, seal, red, etc...
I ordered conic distressed but he first made it in “seal brown” then “Distressed Dark Brown” before he made a lighter colored conic distressed until I was satisfied!

Last edited:

Bahabp100

Practically Family
My jacket shipped Saturday and is at the Chicago delivery hub...scheduled for tomorrow so it may sit and wait until the expected "delivery by" date... which sucks! Typically the stuff from Shawn receives 22 DHL scans, this one is already up to 36...
My shipping was this afternoon their time . But it’s already scanned and set to arrive by Tuesday. I bet we all get them faster than the arrival date

My shipping was this afternoon their time . But it’s already scanned and set to arrive by Tuesday. I bet we all get them faster than the arrival date
Yep typically that true but it looks like DHL is sticking to the promised delivery day of tomorrow in this case. I’m dying to receive it.

Reactions: Zoo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner