Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50,s Half Belts, new Aero and original:

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Received my latest Aero a couple of months ago, a 50s half belt in cordovan H/H. It’s been worn nearly every day since and I could not be more pleased with it.

I also have an original 50s half belt and thought it would be an idea to share a few side by side pictures of both jackets for comparison.

The Aero is on the right.

I like both jackets but am not so keen on the higher belt on the original, or the squarer cut on the shoulders.

The Aero is a heaver weight hide (no surprise there!) but the original has a quilted lining. The fit and cut are similar with the Aero being just a little roomier.

Cheerio

James.

Nice jackets. I do a find it kind of odd that the outside chest pocket on the original is angled..or tilts to the left. Usually it's the other way around for easier access. Interesting...
HD

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Great jackets! I like the belt placement of the Aero much better, though. How long is your Aero jacket?

Unwissender

One of the Regulars
Nice jackets. I do a find it kind of odd that the outside chest pocket on the original is angled..or tilts to the left. Usually it's the other way around for easier access. Interesting...
HD

HoosierDaddy has the eye of an eagle ... I have not seen this with a breast pocket

Cooperson

One Too Many
Two great looking half belts. I prefer the lower belt on the Aero but there is something special about a vintage jacket - just the history of it. I would wear them both. Oh, great fit too. Thanks for sharing.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Thanks for the comparison James. I have a half belt on order currently; so I find your post very interesting. I really like the fit of your Aero. It is just what I am hoping for...I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I also like the belt placement better on the Aero jacket. I think that is unanimous so far. Thanks again.

Aether

One of the Regulars
They're both very nice and fit great - I agree that the cut of the Aero suits you better though.

Love the grain on the sleeve of the vintage one, but no doubt the Aero will end up like that anyway...

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Great jackets! I like the belt placement of the Aero much better, though. How long is your Aero jacket?

The Aero is 25" from the collar seam to the bottom of the jacket, the original is 24 1/2".
I am 5'9".

Funny thing about the breast pocket is I did not notice the different angles until I looked at the side by side pictures myself, dont use them though.

Thanks all for your comments.

Cheerio

James.

D

Deleted member 16736

I'm an outlier here, but I don't much care for Aero's heavy, waxed horsehide. I prefer the leather, cut and styling of the original. And it looks cooler. Just my two cents.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I also wear a size 40, and I have a cordovan Highwayman in this leather, that I purchased from EBay. I love it. My halfbelt is the brown FQHH. Are the finishes really a wax? I was unaware that wax was used as a finish.

The Highwayman is a size 40, originally from www.kentaurus.de

P1030198Large.jpg
P1030200Large.jpg

The Halfbelt was a jacket I bought from member saucerfiend. It came to me as a size 42, and was a size too large. I was able to shrink it to a size 40 with a hot water technique I have used before, which also loosened up the leather, and gave it a weathered, broken in appearance.
P1030201Large.jpg
P1030203Large.jpg

One thing I have noticed is that it is hard to find zipped sweat shirts/sweaters/cardigans that aren't too long. I don't like the sweater hanging out appearance when layering underneath. Just my preferance.

Last edited:

53Effie

A-List Customer
Great looking jackets Jaguar66. Can you tell me what is the back length on your half belt, collar seam to bottom?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
The Aero is 25" from the collar seam to the bottom of the jacket, the original is 24 1/2".
I am 5'9".

Thanks for the info James. I thought it looked like a pretty short jacket. I also have a size 40 Aero that is 25" long. I'm taller, 6' 2", but with a short waist, so it works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran