Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50 Unexplainable Photos

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I remember about 30 years ago my friends Uncle died in Oregon and the Uncle's wife sent a picture of him in the casket to my friends Mom and she freaked out.

In my family, there are pictures of many of the relatives. One of my great-great uncles died suddenly, his only living picture had been destroyed previously. So they took a picture of the casket with the flowers on it (he was in the closed casket, but his body is not visible). I don't think they were able to do a post-mortum photo. He died during the Golden Age and those photos weren't socially acceptable.

In looking at what the other options were, I am very glad that I'm going to be inheriting that photo and not a photo of his body.

But to be honest, that picture never really freaked me out as a kid, even though it hangs in my parent's dining room. I always knew what it was from a young age.

Last edited:

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
OldWomanMummy.jpg

Ever the braggadocio, Aunt Margie boasted to everyone that she
was truly *outstanding in her field,* and so the family decided to call
her bluff on that one.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In fact there were even photographers who specialized in postmortem photography!

Even creepier is sometimes they would have the dearly departed propped up in a sitting or even standing position to appear lifelike. One picture I saw looked, at first glance, like a typical family portrait of the era then I realized the little girl in the picture was dead because on careful examination part of the stand propping up the corpse was visible.

In the early forms of photography, even alive people needed the stands. You needed to hold the pose for so long for the picture to be projected and take (shutter speed)- if you moved it would be blurry. If you look at the old pictures, they are often taken with stuff next to the person. Things like columns, drapes, plants etc. This is covering the rods and stands that are helping them to be steady. They aren't little things either- they are large black metal adjustable things that went around your back and your neck, stiffened your legs, etc. If you were standing, you probably had 2 or 3 supports. If your hand was out, it was setting on something to keep it steady- if you were holding something- also your hands were supported.

In some photos, it wasn't covered properly and is visible. The long exposure time is also why people aren't smiling- if your smile "fell" your face would blur.

So the girl very much could have been alive and the photographer didn't cover one of the stands properly.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Lol rue and VC.... now look at this... i never knew tea sets could come so complete ....matching gun and all? lol
I'd say.... how stylish! :p
tumblr_lltsjixnBz1qcsla3o1_500.jpg

Shawnie MacAlpine

New in Town
Linc, this is a postmortem photo. The child on the sofa is dead.

Back then, it was not uncommon for grieving survivors to have pictures taken of their recently-deceased loved ones, especially if no other images existed. It helped people to not forget the faces of their dead.

I understand the period and the purpose... but here's hoping there will be no nightmares tonight. :eek:

Connery

One Too Many
i never knew tea sets could come so complete ....matching gun and all? lol
I'd say.... how stylish! :p
tumblr_lltsjixnBz1qcsla3o1_500.jpg

The perfect centerpiece for that, oh so important, thuggery affair...:)

That lucky someone who survives the evening's events will get to take it home..............:D

three-guns-table-vase-3.jpg

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Could be worse Simon, could be the chicken in the chair with a cigarette in it's mouth.
Now that would be weird!
Oh if it's Custer all the better....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou