Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5th Avenue New York

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Blocking & finishing room, Knox Hats New York circa 1925

BlockingfinishingroomKnoxHatsNY1925.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I ran across a photo of the Dobbs & Co. store at 242 Fifth Avenue, taken shortly after they opened in September 1908. Dobbs & Co. was the retailing company set up by Crofut & Knapp that would be selling the new Dobbs brand of hats, but was completely separate from the hat manufacturing. Notice by the caption that when they first opened, they were known for Knapp-Felt Hats, since the Dobbs brand was new and unknown to the public at this time.

Look at all those soft felt hats in the display window on the right.

Dobbs1908.jpg

The original Dobbs & Co logo clearly shows the relationship of C&K to Dobbs, as the hats were retailed through the "The Knapp-Felt Shops."

Dobbs.jpg

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Here is an ad from December 8, 1928, for the Dobbs & Co. stores. Notice that by this time they are essentially a department store. They will continue as such until their bankruptcy in 1931. They have the same departments for women, as well. I'll have to post one of those ads soon.

Dobbs12-8-28p117.jpg

Brad

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
And of course, there still is J.J. Hat Center:

We are New York's oldest and one of the world's most renowned hat shops.

Established in 1911, we bring you the finest hats and caps coupled with excellent service and a staff consisting of some of the most knowledgeable hat people in the industry. We provide hands on service, expert advice and a well rounded selection of headwear that includes fedoras, newsboy caps, berets and much more.

Visit our 310 5th Avenue location in New York City and enjoy a TRUE hat shop experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany