Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

65th Anniversary of Jimmy Doolittle's raid on Tokyo

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
It's tomorrow; Wednesday April 18.:eusa_clap Let's have a big round of applause for Major General James H. Doolittle and all his men both deceased and still alive.:eusa_clap

Steve

Practically Family
The Doolittle Raiders trained at Pensacola NAS just across the bay from me. AMAZING men. They don't make 'em like that any more.

Hondo

One Too Many
History Channel had a cool little program (one hour) on Jimmy Doolittle's raiders, Intertwined with actual war footage of B-25's, reactors looked great, its an amazing story, Should never under estimate America’s resolve to fight back, get the job done, and never be forgotten, the heroism from all crew members, God bless them all.

btw: cool link, facts by Story:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=17611

Stony

New in Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stony
Trivia question, what happened exactly one year to the day after the Tokyo mission?

Someone tried to kill Hitler with that bomb under the table?

Nope, 16 P-38s took off and flew 600 miles to Bouganville and intercepted Admiral Yamamoto's flight and shot him down. The Navy had broken the Japanese code, and because they knew Yamamoto was a stickler for being on time, they knew exactly when and where he was going to be. It was an assassination pure and simple. Rex Barber was the pilot ultimately given credit for the kill. The Betty bomber that Yamamoto was riding in is still in the jungle on Bouganville to this day.

Stony said:
It was an assassination pure and simple.

Respectfully, sir, I beg to differ. Admiral Yamamoto was a uniformed and valid military target, taken down by other uniformed and armed soldiers (albeit armed with aircraft). Not like infiltrating and striking a "leadership target" on the other guy's home turf...

My apologies if I come off as picking a fight, but I've done quite a bit of study on black-bag work, not to mention much reflection about where I personally would draw the line, and there's a clear distinction.

Very respectfully,

Stony

New in Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stony
It was an assassination pure and simple.

Respectfully, sir, I beg to differ. Admiral Yamamoto was a uniformed and valid military target, taken down by other uniformed and armed soldiers (albeit armed with aircraft). Not like infiltrating and striking a "leadership target" on the other guy's home turf...

My apologies if I come off as picking a fight, but I've done quite a bit of study on black-bag work, not to mention much reflection about where I personally would draw the line, and there's a clear distinction

IMO, when something is "pre-planned" as an attack on one individual and not just an attack on a base, island, etc., then it is what it is. The U.S. Military even called it an assassination in their reports, so that's what I'm going with. The military also kept this mission "hush hush" even after it was over because they didn't want the Japanese to know they had broken their Naval codes.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Stony said:
IMO, when something is "pre-planned" as an attack on one individual and not just an attack on a base, island, etc., then it is what it is. The U.S. Military even called it an assassination in their reports, so that's what I'm going with. The military also kept this mission "hush hush" even after it was over because they didn't want the Japanese to know they had broken their Naval codes.

I think this is a good thing. We should plan more of these.

M8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner