Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

6x1 double breasted suit on order

mtm_motors

New in Town
I just got fit for a 6x1 DB navy pinstripe suit earlier this week. I go in for additional fitting in a week. This is my first completely tailored suit, I'm excited about it!

mtm_motors

New in Town
I went in for the first fitting today. There wasn't much to show before! I'm excited to see how it turns out.

7974416964_fe07929da3_c.jpg

7974418314_cebd69ecaa_c.jpg

7974418996_90d45e0766_c.jpg

7974419489_ac633d3203_c.jpg

7974420224_afa9cb9e5b_c.jpg

Last edited:

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I'm curious, why the 6x1? With DBs, usually people go for the 6x4 or 4x1, unless it's OTR and there's no other choice. What made this style stand out to you that you wanted it specifically for yourself?

ETA: To clarify I don't think there's anything wrong with the 6x1; my best winter suit is a heavy-weave olive 6x1 with imitation horn buttons. I, myself, am just more fond of the other styles, and have found it to be generally true of others who favor vintage-inspired clothing, as well.

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Be sure they put cuffs on those pants! It looks like there aren't any in the photo, although I realize it may simply not be done yet. So far it looks like a sharp suit. I'm intrigued to see how it turns out!

I love navy pin stripe; probably my favourite suiting.

mtm_motors

New in Town
I mainly went with 6x1 to be different :)
The style goes back the 20s and hasn't been very popular since the 80s.

I know it may not be historically accurate but my preference is no cuffs.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I know it may not be historically accurate but my preference is no cuffs.
Historical issues aside, cuffed trousers hang much better than uncuffed trousers, especially with lighter weight fabrics. And, with DB's in particular, they serve as a base for the suit.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Historical issues aside, cuffed trousers hang much better than uncuffed trousers, especially with lighter weight fabrics. And, with DB's in particular, they serve as a base for the suit.

Mr. Lyles is quite right; they are important for a DB suit because they balance the weighty/broad silhouette of the DB jacket and keep you from looking pointy at the bottom. I would strongly recommend NOT going without cuffs on your trousers. It is considered a faux-pas to have a DB suit with no cuffs.

Having said that, it's your money and your suit, so the choice is ultimately up to you.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
A faux pas? Aren't suits without cuffs simply considered more formal? I used to have an early 30s navy DB suit years ago and it came without cuffs.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
A faux pas? Aren't suits without cuffs simply considered more formal? I used to have an early 30s navy DB suit years ago and it came without cuffs.

By many it is considered to be, yes, due to the imbalance it creates with a DB jacket. Having said that, there are always exceptions to every rule, so YMMV.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
It's important to remember the clear distinction between formal wear and casual wear. Characteristics that define daytime and evening formal and semi-formal wear are not necessarily "translated" to lounge suits.

In other words, a DB tuxedo (which has no cuffs) is more formal than a than a DB lounge suit with cuffs, but it's not the presence or absence of cuffs that make the tux inherently more formal.

Another example: morning dress is more formal than a monotone suit, but a lounge suit is more formal than an odd jacket and trousers.

Finally, when talking formal wear, navy is less formal than black, but a navy lounge suit is as formal as a lounge suit gets.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic