Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9mm or 45cal

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I have .40 Cals that I keep in my vehicle and on me. One is Sig Sauer P250 Compact (Modular Convertible) and a Glock 23 Gen 4. The .40 was my first choice when looking at pistols. I have a family member in the firearm industry and he shared the pros and cons of each round (9mm vs 45). I was really torn and wanted a nice middle of the road option, the .40 cal was the closest choice. I have enjoyed both pistols, but I prefer the Glock. The Sig is DA only firearm, very different from the Glock. I enjoy shooting either one as often as possible.

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
I have a 9mm Beretta. It was my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] time buying a pistol and now I wish I’d waited. Its not a bad pistol, mind you. But I wish I had a .45 ACP or a .357 revolver. I shoot the .357 better for some reason. Just feels good in my hand.

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
I have to admit to being rather envious of these conversations. Many moons ago I had plans for my own collection for practical pistol and rifle as well as gallery range shooting. Unfortunately legislation here in the UK has put a stop to any such thoughts. When I was a kid, carrying a pocket knife in one pocket and a catapult in the other wasn't deemed anti social or dangerous. These days it would make a column inch in the Daily Mail.

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
I have to admit to being rather envious of these conversations. Many moons ago I had plans for my own collection for practical pistol and rifle as well as gallery range shooting. Unfortunately legislation here in the UK has put a stop to any such thoughts. When I was a kid, carrying a pocket knife in one pocket and a catapult in the other wasn't deemed anti social or dangerous. These days it would make a column inch in the Daily Mail.
Catapult? Is that what we call a slingshot? J

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
May I ask what the law is about firearms where you live, in regard to owning and carrying/wearing it in public? I am in truth curious, I have no idea what the laws are within the UK. Nor do I wish to make assumptions.

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
May I ask what the law is about firearms where you live, in regard to owning and carrying/wearing it in public? I am in truth curious, I have no idea what the laws are within the UK. Nor do I wish to make assumptions.

Basically you can't have a weapon on you or in your car except to go to a range or to take it to a gunsmith. Auto and semi auto weapons are illegal now and I think pump action shotguns are allowed to hold three cartridges. Basically I think we had two separate serious shooting incidents by unstable gun owners that led to the draconian legislation we have now. Google Hungerford and Dunblane for more about the incidents. Shooting is very much a minority interest in the UK without any of the political or industrial clout you have in the US. Guys who need weapon training to work as bodyguards or security contractors have to travel to eastern Europe, South Africa or the US to get it.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Guys who need weapon training to work as bodyguards or security contractors have to travel to eastern Europe, South Africa or the US to get it.

Not really a problem for them to have to travel from the UK to get their training, though. After all, if their work involves firearms they'd have to be working overseas anyway.

I have a 9mm Beretta. It was my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] time buying a pistol and now I wish I’d waited. Its not a bad pistol, mind you. But I wish I had a .45 ACP or a .357 revolver. I shoot the .357 better for some reason. Just feels good in my hand.

I was a die-hard wheel gun carrier until a buddy wanted to unload a 9mm Beretta 92fs to get a .45. I bought it off him & later sold it for exactly what I paid for it after running a few hundred rounds thru it. I did not care for the double stack. I bought a S&W 39-2 off an old boss who was moving & trimming down his collection. REALLY like the single stack & shoot it well. I have since bought a 9mm 1911 STI Spartan5. This thing shoots so nice. I also bought for concealed carry a Taurus PT709 Slim, not a target type shooter but good size & does the job.
I've had my right wrist reconstructed so I can't take the pounding of a .40 or .45. Hollow points & shot placement with a 9mm is good enough for me.

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
Not really a problem for them to have to travel from the UK to get their training, though. After all, if their work involves firearms they'd have to be working overseas anyway.

When you have to pay for it yourself it can be a problem. Companies are cutting costs so not many will provide the training so it comes down to the individual paying for it.

pawineguy

One Too Many
I was a die-hard wheel gun carrier until a buddy wanted to unload a 9mm Beretta 92fs to get a .45. I bought it off him & later sold it for exactly what I paid for it after running a few hundred rounds thru it. I did not care for the double stack. I bought a S&W 39-2 off an old boss who was moving & trimming down his collection. REALLY like the single stack & shoot it well. I have since bought a 9mm 1911 STI Spartan5. This thing shoots so nice. I also bought for concealed carry a Taurus PT709 Slim, not a target type shooter but good size & does the job.
I've had my right wrist reconstructed so I can't take the pounding of a .40 or .45. Hollow points & shot placement with a 9mm is good enough for me.

+1 - I carry a Kahr PM9 and usually have the H&K P30 in the glove box. I'd rather become more expert with a 9mm and be able to place my shots where I need them if the need ever arises. I enjoy shooting my .45 at the range (S&W 945) but it is strictly a range pistol.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
When you have to pay for it yourself it can be a problem. Companies are cutting costs so not many will provide the training so it comes down to the individual paying for it.

I hope this isn't straying into politics but if someone is employed in a private capacity to work as an armed bodyguard (i.e. carrying concealed weapons in a manner that would not be legal in the UK) then they have no need to train in the UK. They can train in the country they are going to work in. UK laws exist for the benefit of the UK, if you want to use handguns you go overseas. Simple.

Renault

One Too Many
Several years ago I did sub-contract work for just this type of training in Deep South Texas. Clients
Came from around the world! There was no shortage of work. And no shortage of training aids. My issue was it was a job for much younger folks. The last time I was there I went thru 5 pit maneuvers as the principal! Say the least, I hurt the next day.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Several years ago I did sub-contract work for just this type of training in Deep South Texas. Clients
Came from around the world! There was no shortage of work. And no shortage of training aids. My issue was it was a job for much younger folks. The last time I was there I went thru 5 pit maneuvers as the principal! Say the least, I hurt the next day.

Ouch! Basically being in 5 car accidents in one day? No thanks...

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
I hope this isn't straying into politics but if someone is employed in a private capacity to work as an armed bodyguard (i.e. carrying concealed weapons in a manner that would not be legal in the UK) then they have no need to train in the UK. They can train in the country they are going to work in. UK laws exist for the benefit of the UK, if you want to use handguns you go overseas. Simple.

If you are already employed as an armed security operator then the companies will keep their guys current to comply with industry standards. For the guys entering the industry they are paying for all of their training themselves to even get an opportunity to submit a CV. For them it can be a problem due to the expense. Having training available in the UK would be of benefit to them and the industry. It would offer no more threat to the public than any military or police training activities and most of those in the industry are former military and police anyway.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
About 2 weeks ago, I went out and shot 100 rounds of .40 cal for practice. Along with it I shot some 9 mm and some .22 cal. I spent about 2 hours pulling the trigger. I really enjoy all three rounds, each for different reasons. Yet, when it comes to carrying one each day, I still turn to the .40 cal. I will be honest I have not shot a 45 in a long time, so in fairness I should fire one to make a more well-rounded decision.

frussell

One Too Many
Basically you can't have a weapon on you or in your car except to go to a range or to take it to a gunsmith. Auto and semi auto weapons are illegal now and I think pump action shotguns are allowed to hold three cartridges. Basically I think we had two separate serious shooting incidents by unstable gun owners that led to the draconian legislation we have now. Google Hungerford and Dunblane for more about the incidents. Shooting is very much a minority interest in the UK without any of the political or industrial clout you have in the US. Guys who need weapon training to work as bodyguards or security contractors have to travel to eastern Europe, South Africa or the US to get it.
Almost sounded like you live in California for a minute. It gets tougher every year to buy anything fun, firearms-wise out here. Lots of sellers won't even ship here. As to 9mm, I like revolvers more than semi-auto, so the new Ruger LCR 5-shot 9mm was a good option for me, especially since 9mm is almost always available, even when the other shelves are empty at WalMart or Big 5. Do love my .40 Glock though. Next best thing to a wheelgun I've owned, always goes bang, easy to clean, etc... Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner