Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9mm or 45cal

Harp

I'll Lock Up
... although I would like a 1911A1 because of the classic appeal, and yes, yes I know... the .45 ACP.

The Army issued me a WWII Remington contract 1911A1-a bit beaten, nicked, and bruised-which I later jettisoned for a Colt Python.
Today, I favor the Walther PPK for its superb Teutonic design, and admiitedly, the weapon's lethal simple elegance.

Peacoat

Bartender
The .45 is my favorite caliber for several reasons, but I found it to big and heavy to comfortably carry on a regular basis.

I had always scoffed at the Wonder nines since the military went to that caliber and abandoned the .45. Some research a number of years ago, however, changed my mind. Corban makes very effective ammunition in most calibers. Their hollow points are wide mouthed and pack plenty of punch in the +P package.

For the past eight or nine years I have carried a Smith Chief's Special automatic in 9 mm +P. It is accurate, reliable and will shoot the Corban +P without a hiccup. After break in of about 400 rounds, I proof fired 200 rounds of the Corban without a single failure to feed or failure to fire. I got one for my wife, and had the same results. Before I bought the Smith, I had read a review of the weapon and knew it would probably handle the Corban. So, I bought it. Good results, and it is just about the only weapon I carry anymore.

Just my 2 cents.

In the end it always the gun you will carry that is best. A gun that is not carried and on hand cannot provide protection..
Next it is the gun you can shoot effectively. Hits stand a better chance of stopping the bad guys than misses.

There will always be some guy that seems to wade thru a hail of bullets like an enraged Samoan warrior but they are few and far between. We are unlikely to meet them in an encounter.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
This is with me always.I hope I never have to shoot anyone.It will make a big hole.

85bec6ad.jpg

Killing is not always the goal. A DA will nail you if you use those sentiments.

Neutralizing a threat is the concept used by many. Someone doesn't have to be dead to be stopped. That is why 2 to the body is used by some, the Rhodesian style was 2 to the body one to the head. If there is more than one attacker how do you figure the formula is it one clip per person?

Killing is not always the goal. A DA will nail you if you use those sentiments.

Perhaps. But I'll be alive. Which is my goal and all that matters at that point.

Neutralizing a threat is the concept used by many. Someone doesn't have to be dead to be stopped. That is why 2 to the body is used by some, the Rhodesian style was 2 to the body one to the head. If there is more than one attacker how do you figure the formula is it one clip per person?

Again, you're missing the point. I'm not really interested in debating how one figures how many bullets you should assign based on some number of hypotehical attackers. My point is that your weapon is to save your life, and the only reason you pull it out is because you are in fear for your life. The reason you draw it out and fire is to kill someone. If you're not ready, willing and able to do that, you have no business carrying a gun, and you're part of the problem.

Last edited:
Being willing and able..and doing so..are two different things. You seem to be changing the old saying of 'Don't pull a gun unless you are 'willing'..'ready'..and 'able' to use it'..to..'If you pull your pistol always use it to pump the aggressor full of lead' no matter the circumstances. It's certainly not wise to wave a gun around..but in some scenarios it's mere presence can calm or even stop anymore escalation of the situation real quick...and that may save a real tragedy on either side.
HD

but in some scenarios it's mere presence can calm or even stop anymore escalation of the situation real quick...and that may save a real tragedy on either side.
HD

This is the attitude with which I have a problem. You don't pull your gun out to scare anyone. It's not a "peacemaker". It's not to stop someone from stealing your car or hitting on your girlfriend or even beating your ass. You only pull it out as a last resort to save your life. I cringe every time I hear someone say "all I have to do is flash my piece and give them a wink..." or "I don't even keep it loaded, I just show it off and people don't mess with me...". That is exactly the irresponsible kind of gun ownership that gives the rest of us a bad name.

I made "empty the clip" as a rhetorical statement to illustrate this point, not say you should always empty the clip into the first person who attacks you, even if they're lying on the ground dead.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
This is the attitude with which I have a problem. You don't pull your gun out to scare anyone. It's not a "peacemaker". It's not to stop someone from stealing your car or hitting on your girlfriend or even beating your ass. You only pull it out as a last resort to save your life. I cringe every time I hear someone say "all I have to do is flash my piece and give them a wink..." or "I don't even keep it loaded, I just show it off and people don't mess with me...". That is exactly the irresponsible kind of gun ownership that gives the rest of us a bad name.

I have had two occasions in my life where I had to pull my gun to thwart would-be criminals. Both times I was absolutely prepared to shoot them if need be, but luckily didn't have to. One ran away after I fired a warning shot over his head and into the oak tree behind him, and the other I held at gunpoint until the police arrived to arrest him. Words to live by are "Never point a gun at anything you aren't willing to shoot".

I have had two occasions in my life where I had to pull my gun to thwart would-be criminals. Both times I was absolutely prepared to shoot them if need be, but luckily didn't have to. One ran away after I fired a warning shot over his head and into the oak tree behind him, and the other I held at gunpoint until the police arrived to arrest him. Words to live by are "Never point a gun at anything you aren't willing to shoot".

Exactly. I've carried a hand gun off and on since returning from the Army in '72. While in the Army I carried an M16 and often a .45. With that responsibility I was trained how and when to use one...and later trained others. Pulling a weapon is serious business. Using it is a last resort. Unless there is already a firefight even cops pull their weapon but hold their fire unless there is no other choice but to use it. They are ready willing and able..but usually only if a warning goes unheeded. Not sure I would agree with a warning shot...but a warning of some kind is indeed most often worth a try. Those who suggest pulling a weapon and immediately firing(in many cases)have either never been in that position of stress or are irresponsible with only throwing around their favorite macho slogan as they accuse others of doing. Pulling a weapon is serious business which can entail grave consequences. Sometimes there is no other way but to use it. Other times it may not be necessary if observant even after you have pointed the gun.
HD

alsendk

A-List Customer
Denmark no 1 in 'internal peace'
Peace is defined as ‘absence of violence and the fear of violence’ but the list is based on 22 indicators that measure internal peace, such as levels of perceived criminality, number of police per 100,000 people and the level of organised crime, as well as external peace indicators such as defence spending and nuclear weapons capabilities. Iceland is no 1 due to an extremely low level of criminality, the lack of a standing army, and fewer citizens in prison but Denmark is no. 1 in ‘internal peace’ as the number of police and security professionals is lower per capita.
The index also stresses that Denmark ‘enjoys a stable government, the crime and murder rates are extremely low, there are virtually no violent demonstrations, and very few people are incarcerated in prison’.
See The Guardian's article here.

0014_zps8dd73075.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

how I wish for you stressed and nervous sweet family people, that you could live here in Denmark, and stroll the streets of Copenhagen without worries.

There are solutions regarding your own country, but we are not here to discuss politics some bartenders already told me.
Have a wonderful coming weekend.
Allan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner