Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9mm or 45cal

Rathdown

Practically Family
1911 All that way it is my carry gun, the .45 is my main round, even in BALL form it will knock a man down with one hit...
It may stop a man with one round, it may slow him down with one round, but under normal circumstances it certainly won't knock a man down. Physics being what it is, if the bullet had enough energy to literally "knock a man down", the recoil generated would also knock down the shooter. That said, I'd agree with you that there is no better sex-crazed zombie stopper in the world than Colt's Model 1911 self-loading pistol in .45 caliber.

Don't leave home without it.

Landman

One Too Many
It may stop a man with one round, it may slow him down with one round, but under normal circumstances it certainly won't knock a man down. Physics being what it is, if the bullet had enough energy to literally "knock a man down", the recoil generated would also knock down the shooter. That said, I'd agree with you that there is no better sex-crazed zombie stopper in the world than Colt's Model 1911 self-loading pistol in .45 caliber.

Well said.

Buggnkat

Familiar Face

Now I like that quote!

TomS

One Too Many
Go with a .45 ACP. I've been a police firearms instructor for 25 years, and I know of more than one occassion where a 9 mm did not do what it was intended to do. Just my .02

Monsignore

New in Town
I'd go for a 9 Largo (9mm Bergmann-Bayard), loaded with THV (the fourth bullet in the image, here fitted to a .38).

img_hard_casull_024.jpg

The 9 largo case, being cilyndrical, doesn't have the nose-dropping feeding problems associated with the 9 Para (conical frustum) in large magazines, so you can load a 25 mag with no problems.

img_014.jpg

With a spare mag, you're packing 51 'lil friends'. Enough to win a little war... :D

Just my 0.02€

In the end, the choice has to do with if you are going to carry it regularly.

Some people find that a large & heavy gun becomes a burden for conceaaled carry.
Smaller guns can then be a handful when trying to shoot.
Some lightweight guns can be punishing with recoil.

As said before: while 45 represents the better round for 1 shot stops, it is the gun that you have with you when needed that is the best.

DesertDan

One Too Many
I never rely on a single round stopping an attacker no matter what the caliber, that's why I always load more than one.

jkingrph

Practically Family

Now the .45ACP is my preferred round for carry, at least in cooler weather when a larger gun is easier to conceal, but I must take exception with it being the best sex crazed zombie stopper.

My 10mm auto packs a lot more more punch in the same 1911 platform but is not as easy to handle, and we can go outside the 1911 platform and go revolvers. The .357 mag, .44 mag, and the old .45 long Colt are much better stoppers than the .45ACP any day, but in a similar sized carry package do not handle nearly as nicely as the .45ACP. For most of us the .45ACP is the best balance of stopping power, terminal ballistics effectiveness vs recoil comfort. I can handle the other cartridges but under controlled conditions. In a rapid fire situation they tend to get out of hand as for as controllability fairly quickly. For defense I want something I can controll quickly in a follow up shot situation, and for me it boils down to the .38 Special, 9mm, or .45ACP!

Rathdown

Practically Family
Now the .45ACP is my preferred round for carry, at least in cooler weather when a larger gun is easier to conceal, but I must take exception with it being the best sex crazed zombie stopper.
You are treading on extremely slippery ground, and I am afraid you are about to loose your footing.
My 10mm auto packs a lot more more punch in the same 1911 platform but is not as easy to handle...
Which is why it is why it is inferior when dealing with zombies, when cold precision and quick recovery between shots is absolutley required.
...and we can go outside the 1911 platform and go revolvers. The .357 mag, .44 mag, and the old .45 long Colt are much better stoppers than the .45ACP any day, but in a similar sized carry package do not handle nearly as nicely as the .45ACP.
They are, however, limited to six shots, and are incredibly slow to reload compared to the venerable Colt Model 1911.
For most of us the .45ACP is the best balance of stopping power, terminal ballistics effectiveness vs recoil comfort.
You have just made my point. Thank you.
I can handle the other cartridges but under controlled conditions. In a rapid fire situation they tend to get out of hand as for as controllability fairly quickly.
When faced with a hoard of sex-crazed zombies one must dispatch them with the same sang froid exhibited by Mrs. Petticaris's luncheon guest when her afternoon was interrupted by the arrival of mounted Berber Riffs. Spilling one's tea may be excusable under the circumstances, but loosing control? Never!
For defense I want something I can controll quickly in a follow up shot situation, and for me it boils down to the .38 Special, 9mm, or .45ACP!
For your garden variety zombie, nuisance that he is, a well placed .38 or 9mm is adequate. I'll give you that. But when they are in rut! Well, it's the .45ACP or you are apt to join the shuffling hoard before you can say John Moses Browning!

RHY

One of the Regulars
Buy a combat tomahawk and a Ka-bar. You don't have any questions on penetration or stopping power, its all in your hands.

Sometimes if an attacker is willing to advance on a person shooting at them, they may be on drugs or just plain mean. Nothing like putting the blade in the solar plexus and the hatchet in their forehead to prove to the cops that it was them or you. Also, you won't have the Brady bunch crying about how bad guns are.

Hunter_aka_Scotty

One of the Regulars
9 out of 10 people who are shot don't know, nor care, what caliber you used. ;)
I have both and I vastly prefer my 9mm hand guns. If nothing else its easier on the pocket book. The .45 is classic and does a lot of damage but the simple fact of the matter is that shot, is shot. Normally a hole in the flesh tends to make people want to cease playing bad guy with you any more.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
My choice for a modern police service weapon would be .40 or 9mm.
My choice for a military service weapon (provided the supply system could support it) would be .45. Since the modern supply system supports it it has changed to 9mm.
My choice for a vintace civilian carry is .32.
My choice for routine concealed (last ditch, no problems expected) is .25.
My choice if I need to defend myself is the one in my hand.

Asking what bore size is best is like asking if I should get a wrench or a screwdriver when I don't know what I am working on.

Hunter_aka_Scotty

One of the Regulars
My choice for a modern police service weapon would be .40 or 9mm.
My choice for a military service weapon (provided the supply system could support it) would be .45. Since the modern supply system supports it it has changed to 9mm.
My choice for a vintace civilian carry is .32.
My choice for routine concealed (last ditch, no problems expected) is .25.
My choice if I need to defend myself is the one in my hand.

Asking what bore size is best is like asking if I should get a wrench or a screwdriver when I don't know what I am working on.

^^^ This is just fantastic!

howardeye

Practically Family
Buy a combat tomahawk and a Ka-bar. You don't have any questions on penetration or stopping power, its all in your hands.

Sometimes if an attacker is willing to advance on a person shooting at them, they may be on drugs or just plain mean. Nothing like putting the blade in the solar plexus and the hatchet in their forehead to prove to the cops that it was them or you. Also, you won't have the Brady bunch crying about how bad guns are.

I agree with this guy with one exception. The Ka-bar is good but the Cold Steel Tanto is my choice on my belt made of San Mai steel. Pocket model is a Benchmade Titanium Handle Balisong pictured in the knife thread. And of course my backup would be a 45ACP. Knockdown, which is usually a human reflex is not even considered today with the drugs people are using. I think with the new age drugs people are on the head shot would be more efficient only if you are a superior shot because there is no fear in these people today. Years ago Pistolero Magazine did a test to prove which handgun caliber was the best for knockdown power. They used live hogs as their test victims and they found out none of the calibers used knocked any down. The things I mentiond above would only be for recreation. I put my trust in a higher power for protection.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Since it was mentioned above, I saw a KaBar at Bass Pro Shop in OKC today for $95.99. I bought my last one for $32.00 in about 2006. I love Kabars but JEEZZZ.

Later

DavidJones

One of the Regulars
I agree, I also have Pistols in both calibers. However, I shoot mostly my 9mm Belgian Browning using reloads with cast lead bullets at the range because it is much
cheaper for target shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner