Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
Not impressed with their version of the A1 either and the price is way too high!

I'd rather go with an Aero A1 - which is lovely in the way it is put together and also nicely designed etc.

Or perhaps a higher quality Eastman or Goodwear ???

Alan

Or perhaps a higher quality Eastman or Goodwear ???

Alan

Why the continued effort to put down another members new jacket that he seems quite happy with? You've made it more than clear that you find it quite absurd that he should be satisfied. Attacking authenticity..design...and even quality. What is the purpose? Only to antagonise?
HD

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
Why the continued effort to put down another members new jacket that he seems quite happy with? You've made it more than clear that you find it quite absurd that he should be satisfied. Attacking authenticity..design...and even quality. What is the purpose? Only to antagonise?
HD

That was not my intension.
The poster stated that a Aero would be a better jacket than this other companies A1 both in design and incredible price.
I agree with that statement and I just offered two more choices.
I did not in this posting go against Aero and their version of the A1.

Get off your high horse and stop trying to make something it is not.

Every member of this Forum and others can buy and wear what they choose and if they like it then thats as good as it can be.
Clothing is always a personal choice.

The Forum can be used however to offer opinions and allow prospective buyers to make the hard choice of selecting perhaps a little easier.
At the end of the day, money, timescale, availability, locality all play their part.

We are all learning and what we think at one point of our buying curve can change by a number of factors and requirements.
Some Forum members have experience of more than one type of manufacturer and offer this advise in good faith.
Not as you suggest to antagonise.

Perhaps that is the purpose of your posting. I sincerely hope not but it certainly comes across that way.

Alan

Oh well.
You are the experts - so I will have to accept what you are saying. I guess I made a REALLY, REALLY bad choice/buy - but I still absolutely love and will just live with it! Still could be worse - I could be smiling less!!!

I like Alain de Cadeanet.
Very good driver.
Excellent presenter

But knows damn all about A1 jackets.
If that's your benchmark think again
Aero A1's are just OK .

Eastman and Goodwear are so far ahead in design, quality and accuracy.
In racing car talk these two have just lapped Aero once more

Alan

Strange..just seemed to come across as a bit of snobbery directed at someone else's choice..rather than listing the attributes of your A-1 flavor only to help others decide.
Your latest post seems to come across with a bit more reasonable response. Perhaps you just came across in a way that you didn't intend. I hope so.
HD

Last edited:

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
The offer of advise can be taken in different ways.
You throw back comments that you suggest comes over as snobbery at someone else's choice.
It might be argued that the offended person (in your eyes) comes across in exactly the same way.
I know I am not alone in this line of thought.

As I said we are all different and thankfully so.
Each Forum member is a buyer or potential buyer of jackets and our experience levels are equally diverse.
As we age/grow our buying attitutes change. Not always for the better some might say !!

Some Forum members offer sage advice on many topics including yourself.
With so many posts how could that not be.

Yet when we buy it is always not wisely. We sometimes don't realise it for a while but as our tastes and expectations change it can sometimes hit us and we move things (jackets) on.
Advise offered can be rejected or saved for a rainy day but it is never mean't harshly from any member I am sure.
Only as an aid and I have certainly welcomed such advise here and elsewhere.

The A1 jacket is a classic design that seems to work well for many members when worn.
It's different and as one one wise sage admits he can go into a coffee shop where almost everyman and his dog are wearing A2's and feel pleased on his decision.

So lets get back to the topic in hand and enjoy

Alan

FWIW Alan, I took your post the same as HD. I was kinda surprised, so I will say it must have been worded poorly. I can relate - I've done that more than once.

Flashman

Familiar Face
Gents, I feel as if I may have created some negative energy, completely unintentionally. I may have made some 'over-excited' comments about my Aero A1 and it was simply because having done my OWN little research and having looked at GW, ELC etc - I ordered with Aero.
I felt the Aero jacket was the closest to the one worn by ADC - which was what inspired me to go for the A1 rather than my first choice of A2.

Having ordered - I was worried how the fit might be - to big/to small, the long wait (4 months) also heightened the worry a tad.

So when the jacket arrived - my delivery having been missed, I had to drive to the depot after work to pick it up - all adding to a sense of worry/frustration - I got home and broke the box open like a maniac worried and excited.

So, you can imagine when I tried it on and it was perfect - colour, size, sleeve, body, smell, collar, button - everything perfect and as I wanted!

So FOR ME it was a perfect choice.
I don't think its the BEST jacket above any other makers version - but FOR ME its the BEST jacket that I could've wanted.

I noted the slightly disparaging comments that my Aero was not as good as the GW/ELC - I simply brushed it aside as I was not prepared to let such a comment to diminish my pleasure of wearing my A1.
Perhaps my comments (albeit a very British habit) of pretending I did not get the 'spikey' comments were not being missed by others (such as HD and Butte).

In short, I am happy for me - and I am happy for you all with your choices, may you enjoy wearing your jackets as much as I do mine - whatever brand you have picked.

Last edited:

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Flashman, it's a great jacket, and I'm sure you'll enjoy wearing it for years. It is very exciting getting a custom-made leather (all the more so when it turns out to fit as desired) -- hence the slight problem a few of us here have with addiction to the things.

SJ

Flashman

Familiar Face
Flashman, it's a great jacket, and I'm sure you'll enjoy wearing it for years. It is very exciting getting a custom-made leather (all the more so when it turns out to fit as desired) -- hence the slight problem a few of us here have with addiction to the things.

SJ

Thanks SJ. Excuse me of you have already mentioned it, but you're A1, how long have yo had it and where did you order it from?

Flashman

Familiar Face
The weekend is near and all of a sudden I am secretly hoping the weather is NOT going to be too nice so i can wear my A1!

Have a day at Bonham Aston Martin Auction planned with a fair bit of driving from London to Birmingham to Pagnell.
I imagine sadly the weather will be too warm for my A1.

Hope wherever you all are you get to wear/enjoy your A1.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
The weekend is near and all of a sudden I am secretly hoping the weather is NOT going to be too nice so i can wear my A1!

Have a day at Bonham Aston Martin Auction planned with a fair bit of driving from London to Birmingham to Pagnell.
I imagine sadly the weather will be too warm for my A1.

Hope wherever you all are you get to wear/enjoy your A1.
I can relate, Flashman. I'll take delivery of my Aero LHB on Monday and I hope the cool weather will stay for a while. Warm weather is overrated...

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I'm wearing an original Doniger AN-J-3 in capeskin inside, but it's just a shade warm - the leather is very similar in weight, colour and feel to Scott's GW A-1 and is a good insulator.

Flashman

Familiar Face
Well the weather was gray, rainy, blustery and horrible and i wore my A1 with great delight! driving all the way from London to Birmingham to Newport and back to London!
(Btw yesterdays auction top seller was a DB4 that went for £1.2m....!!!)

Stupendous!!!:D

Flashman

Familiar Face
Its our dear Queens diamond jubilee weekend and oddly the weather in the past 24 hrs had turned rather gloomy. It means today for half a day I get to wear my A1 (yippeee!!!)
Only half a day sadly as I fly off to Milan, Italy for a few days so have great weekend all and if you get to wear - enjoy your A1s!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy