Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A 1920's/30's General Store

Nobert

Practically Family
Very nice. I have this occasional recurring fantasy about opening a neighborhood store that would be something between a convenience store, newsstand and five-and-dime, done up in a traditional "general store" motif.

This is quite fantastic!

1000x667xgeneralstore2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.nyZMYtDqWu.jpg

1000x667xgeneralstore23.jpg.pagespeed.ic.S1kGI5ikwy.jpg

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Nice to know that the US was not a bigoted country back then:eusa_doh: I understand that was how people thought back then, but when you have shoved in your face it raises even my eyebrows.

Mike

Chas

One Too Many
Nice to know that the US was not a bigoted country back then:eusa_doh: I understand that was how people thought back then, but when you have shoved in your face it raises even my eyebrows.

Mike

Interestingly enough, when I found a "Mammy" wall-mounted note pad in an antique mall, the vendor told me that she sold a lot of that old Afro-Americana antique stuff to African Americans. I'm not sure why, exactly but that is something worth looking into.

EDIT: Apparently, it's about claiming ownership of one's cultural heritage. Spike Lee and Oprah are big-time collectors of Afro-Americana antiques.http://antiques.about.com/cs/aroundtheworld1/a/aa052000.htm

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2001/mar/30/culture.features3

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Very nice. I have this occasional recurring fantasy about opening a neighborhood store that would be something between a convenience store, newsstand and five-and-dime, done up in a traditional "general store" motif.

There was a very specific type of store like this that was common in New England from the thirties into the sixties -- they were called "Spas", and featured everything you describe, along with, occasionally, a small lunch counter/soda fountain. They were popular after-school gathering spots for school kids, in the same manner as the traditional Brooklyn "candy store" or the "malt shop" of Archie comics. Spas were extremely common in the residential neighborhoods of Boston, but we had them in Maine as well.

Nowadays a "spa" means something entirely different, but those of a certain age always think first of an after-school hangout whenever the word comes up. There are very few actual spas left in operation, which is a pity. They served a useful purpose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21