Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Jacket

It all depends on how much accuracy you desire, and how much variety in contracts - if those two things matter.
If not and you're looking for the basic "style", then there are lots of good makers.
Certainly, Good Wear leads the pack with accuracy, quality, and selection of contracts.
Aero OTOH can make an A-2 that costs less and is an excellent jacket, if not a true to the time repop.
Then there's cost and wait, etc. Many variables in choosing. And there's no shortage if knowledge and info here (as well as other places) to do your research.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think many of us favor certain brands. I will say that when I visited American Classics in London this summer I tried on an Eastman G-1 in size 46 that was exceptionally nice and fit me perfectly.

Banzai

Familiar Face
If you don't care about a stitch-by-stitch reproduction, I heartily recommend US Authentic. Shaul does great work, though the paranoid part of my brain believes, a little, that his oddly long sizing is to compel everyone to order a custom jacket. I think he's a couple of inches long in every size, and it's consistent enough that it should be an easy thing to fix.

A while back I replaced my POS issued A-2 (a Cockpit/Avirex) with a Cooper I found on Ebay. It was from the first run of the "re-issue" contract in nineteen eighty-whatever. Sure, it's not as nice as the premium makers, but it's still a good jacket, better than what I was issued, and did not have the blousy cut of the new ones. The 38 actually fit like a 38 should, and measured highly appropriately.

The only thing I don't care for is that the collar is kind of floppy, but I'm sure there's a way to remedy that.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I used to have a US Authentic, and being just 5'8", I'd definitely characterize its sizing as trim-but-long. It was a 44R, and the body length was a good inch and half longer than my 46R G&B A-2 (and that's with G&B's "oversized modern fit").

HPA Rep

Vendor
If you must have goatskin, then Eastman is not an option, as they ceased making goatskin A-2's this year; however, if you're considering horsehide, we have size 48R in stock in just about every jacket Eastman offers, including sheepskin jackets. It would probably be good to set your criteria to ease your journey, so you could have color, tanning process, dye process, and high, medium, or low levels of authenticity set as parameters, in addition to price and immediacy of availability.

Good luck in your quest.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
With the above manufacturers: you've been warned. A naive desire to find a cool jacket will be replaced by an obsession if you manage to get one of the nicer A-2s. I'd stick with a cheapie and run for the hills...you'll be happier overall. :/

Or you can get an Eastman, Kelso, etc. and be bound by lifelong servitude to jacket obsession. Don't do it!!

*It's kind of fun though.

Reactions: Dav

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes