Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2, part two. Time to go shopping.

Roma

A-List Customer
Soon I hope to share my first A2 ever. Denny contacted me on Wednsday saying the last thing left is to sew the patches. Unfortunately it hasn't been shipped yet.

Отправлено с моего SM-N920C через Tapatalk

Marv

A-List Customer
I am particularly partial to the look of your G-1. Do you favor one over the other?

Hey Fanch, I would say the I prefer the G1 for comfort over the A2 and I tend to move more towards the G1 as the weather gets colder so around this time of year.

The A2 looks smarter and I tend to wear it for work as it lends well with a shirt and trousers especially with the collar shape of my Rough Wear, it just seems to suit.

However I do like the feel of a mouton collar turned up when it's a bit chilly which the A2 can't provide and needs the use of a scarf to complete it.

Honestly though, I just tend to pick the jacket I'm in the mood for at the time really and it's not always either an A2 or G1, recently I've been wearing my Indy and Tanker jackets (both 1st & 2nd patterns) somewhat.

If I had to pick just one of my jackets and shed all the others then I would choose my mint condition 50's LW Foster 7823 G1 as this is the most comfortable and best fitting jacket of all.

I'm with Marv. it's mainly what I feel like wearing at the time.
Being insane, I have a closet that is 70% cool/cold weather gear and 30% appropriate for SoCal. When it cools off, it's a tough choice to start picking out something as I've waited about 8 months to start wearing it all again! We're close. Next week expecting 40-50's at night...

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
I have 2 issued G-1's, 1 LW G-1 (love it) and 2 A-2's in russet HH (USA and LW). Unfortunately, I am a size 50L and off the rack usually won't work and that also means original A-2s or G-1s are very hard to come by. As some others have said, goat is great when space is limited. HH, especially LW HH, can be very stiff at first. With my HBFQHH Aero and LW A2, I was never "gentle" in my daily activity while wearing them. In fact, I wore them out in the weather (rain,sleet,snow) as much as I could. The Aero really took to being wet and left to dry sitting up. I think it helped add a little more character too.

Roma

A-List Customer
Got my A2 yesterday. Contract 38-1711-p, dark seal Vicenza. The leather is much lighter than Horween's but still feels very durable. I ordered it at the beginning of August and waited for the Vecenza restock. I asked Denny to make it not less then my desirable lengths, so it came out ok in this respect. Even a fraction longer which is better for me than shorter.
I've never tried an A2 before and found the trim of the style a bit unusual: the jacket provides a lot of room at the chest but a bit snug in the armholes. As far as I get it, my contract is one of the slimmest A2 fits.
d01d9d261cdafddc0de463c91f522bf8.jpg
6c8d3f7dd9a56f07869197dd018b4c01.jpg
f4dd217d8854b3fd9a9add48a15bc4c1.jpg
40af4bfdbd5647c19a42c23d5a20e24a.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Based on the pics I would say that your A-2 fits the way it should. I am told that Ken prefers the A-2 to fit snugly, although WW II pics show various fits all over the board. Keep in mind that the mobility of an A-2 when worn is much more restrictive than that of a G-1.

Roma

A-List Customer
Thank you for your replies, gents. It indeed looks fine, just feels a bit snug under the armholes. I hope it will relax under the armholes a bit over time.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love the A-2, mine fits snugly and took some time to 'break in'..but it was totally worth it..started off feeling too tight but time & weather left me with a jacket that fitted like a glove & has had more wear than any other jacket I've owned in the last 35 years :)

Roma

A-List Customer
I love the A-2, mine fits snugly and took some time to 'break in'..but it was totally worth it..started off feeling too tight but time & weather left me with a jacket that fitted like a glove & has had more wear than any other jacket I've owned in the last 35 years :)
Thank you for sharing your experience, bn1966. Vicenza is extremely tough, though it's not very thick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner