Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A $5 Gem?

Jerekson

One Too Many
Today I remembered why I like the Goodwill store.

I hadn't been in a long, long time, figuring my luck was run out since I haven't found anything worth noting in almost a year. But today I decide to randomly stop in and take a look around.

I find an unassuming, dirty old cowboy hat thrown onto a shelf, and when I pick it up and feel the felt I realize it's a keeper! It's an old Stetson - not sure how old, maybe from the 80's? The felt quality is really good. Stiff, but ultra velvety. The lining is intact without any major stains, and the sweatband! Oh, what a supple, soft, smooth, luscious piece of leather.
Fits me great too! A size too big by tag, but I guess it shrunk.

I'm not a Stetson fan by any means, but I would have been an idiot to pass up this hat at $5.

StetsonRough1.png

StetsonRough2.png

Guess I'll set to work restoring it. I think I'll keep it cowboy style, for once.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Always remember to check under the sweatbands, my friends...

008.jpg

You never know what might surprise you.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I too have seen these type of western hats here in Eugene at the Goodwills, but they usually want more than $5.00 so I haven't ever bought one. You got a good deal, they can be fun to play with and you don't have to worry about messing it up.

fedoralover

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Having purchased Stetson western felts since 1974, I can tell you that hat wouldn't have reached $100 until the late 80s at least.
Looking at the price, the sweat and the liner art, it's more likely to be from the 90s.
Nevertheless, that is a honey of a deal, since the hat should clean up nicely and looks to have enough body for just about anything ... say making into a great dressy fedora for this winter?

Just thinking,

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner