Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A "Buy it Now" impulse purchase!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I had been watching this jacket for a few days and early this morning I noticed that since nobody had bid yet, the seller put a buy it now price on it. I couldn't resist. The pictures make it look brown but the seller says it's black. I didn't have a black jacket and this one has some awesome graining and the lining and knits are in great shape. I hope my expectations are met when it arrives. Any thoughts on it's age?? I'm thinking sometime in the 50s, but I'm not sure. It has a Fonzi, Happy Days, look to it with the slash pockets.
oldjacket.jpg

backjac.jpg

insidejac.jpg

backjacket.jpg

shoulderjack.jpg

fedoralover

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Not an expert on age of these but the label has that mid-century feel alright. The grain is beautiful and remember, black is always really dark red or dark blue or dark brown - so dark it appears black. The Fonz's jacket was actually a dark brown. "Heyyyyyyyy". :)

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. Aero makes one kindasorta like it, except they use a one piece back. I was actually thinking of getting one from Mark, as I love the leather that Aero uses. But this one will do as the grain looks great in the pics.
Some of those 50s Civie A-2 style jackets had the humongous front pockets. I never cared for them at all, but this style with the subtle side slash pockets I like.

fedoralover

Peacoat

Bartender
A good looking jacket. The color showing in the photos can't be beat. If it comes in and isn't black, but is the color in the photos, I'll buy it from you. Love that rich dark brown.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Here's the rest of the pics from ebay. Even if it turns out to be a dark brown rather than a true black and it looks as good in person as the pics show, I think I'll be keeping it. I love these vintage jackets with all the personality of an accumulation of 50 years worn into them.
BffYzhgB2kKGrHqUOKj8Erzk6U64BLBdbeo.jpg

BffYMoQB2kKGrHqMOKj8Eryu9wyd4BLBdYp.jpg

BffYygBGkKGrHqUOKi8ErzSIKFgBLBdb8P2.jpg

fedoralover

James Miller

One of the Regulars
It has been restored!

Fedoralover, It is a great jacket because I am the one that restored it. I re- dyed it BROWN and I still have some of the dye left. That jacket has been around I have seen it on ebay three times now. I re-dyed it put a new lining in it and new knit cuffs. Sad to say it was to small for me, so like the many many jackets I have re done I get rid of them.

I payed $300.00 for it from firefly on ebay and only got $300.00 for it when I re sold it and that was after I had done all that work.

There is not much money in restoring the old jackets but it sure is fun. I still have a few more that I'm working on, but now my hobbie has shifted to hand painting WWII Squadron patches and creating WWII replica jackets. Oh you said it looks like the Fonz jacket well it's close. I also Have over Ten ( 10) of the Fonz jackets in my collection and a few of them needed restoring and a couple are in mint shape. if you look somewere in the lounge you will find a picture of the jacket after I finished it and also on the vintage leather fourm.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Well thanks for the history on it. It looks like you did a fantastic job in restoring it. Considering what you paid for it and the work put into it, I got it for a fantastic price. Do you know how old it is???

Also, I'd love to know the procedure you use in redying jackets, could you start a thread on it?? I'm sure many here would love to know how it's done.

regards fedoralover

andy richards

Practically Family
Fdoralover, what a great jacket you bought! Congratulations whit this purchase. And James, you did a great job! The jacket looks almost as new. Great pics too!

fishmeok

Vendor
Well done James- I thought that thing looked too nice to be stock...
Definately need details though, What material for the liner? Type of dye? Knits?:)

Great jacket, I'm making something very similar for my daughter right now. Can't wait to see the pics after you get it-
Cheers
Mark

Edward

Bartender
HarpPlayerGene said:
Not an expert on age of these but the label has that mid-century feel alright. The grain is beautiful and remember, black is always really dark red or dark blue or dark brown - so dark it appears black. The Fonz's jacket was actually a dark brown. "Heyyyyyyyy". :)

I have a (believed) 1950s db blazer, which I bought on eBay and which the seller said was black. Arrived, and guess what.... navy. Fine with me, I liked it and wasn't too bothered, but it amazes me the number of instances you hear of this on eBay....surely there can't be that many people out there with vision issues..... guess maybe the think 'black' sells better??

Definitely a nice jacket, very much in the mould of Fonzie's. His was indeed dark brown; I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that that was a compromise with the network who had feared the negative, bad-boy sterreotype of the black leather jacket. (Indeed, they had even refused to have Fonzie seen in a leather jacket for the first season or two - until he had been sufficiently established that they felt they could take the 'risk' of putting him in leather, he was seen wearing a sky blue windcheater, I think a Harrington, or at least something close to it.

fedoralover said:
Thanks. Aero makes one kindasorta like it, except they use a one piece back. I was actually thinking of getting one from Mark, as I love the leather that Aero uses. But this one will do as the grain looks great in the pics.
Some of those 50s Civie A-2 style jackets had the humongous front pockets. I never cared for them at all, but this style with the subtle side slash pockets I like.

fedoralover

You could always go for the Aero down the line if you want a black one.... this is a really nice jacket. I'm no expert either, but I had figured a restoration or really good repro, given the tidiness of the lining and the knits. Really lovely jacket; I have other, earlier styles in my sights, but if one of these turned up at the right price and size, I'd be tempted. A really nice look that to me screams fifties, but more adaptable than the Brando style. And yes, the slash pockets really do give it a distinct look of its own, as opposed to aping the A2. I mean, I like A2s, but sometimes it's nice to see something different too.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
That burgundy lining is really cool, but the detail that really does it for me is that "V" shaped yoke on an otherwise standard civilian A-2ish jacket - SO cool!
backjac.jpg

Great score fedoralover!

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Vintage horsehide

Fedoralover, You asked about the age of the jacket, well be for Ibought it I asked a lot questions and I was told a little history about the jacket and the maker the jacket is late 40's. I really liked the jacket thats why I put the time in it, however I need a size 48 and it's very hard to find that size in vintage I have a few that need to be restored. I was so un happy with the size that I went to AERO and had two of the Happy Day's jackets made for me , one in FQHH ( oil pulled and the other med jurkyhide.

If the jacket fits you I would say you have one cool jacket. And to Fishmeok I have wrote a few threads about restoring the jackets but when I first posted it I did'nt receive alot of reply's. We have spoke before about the jackets we have made. I have only made the one jacket and it was hard to do. If I had to do it for a living I would hungry. I do have some hide that I was going to try to make another one,I just wish I could do as well as you have done. Fedoralover enjoy the jacket It's been a couple years I just hope the jacket is still in fine shape.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Thanks James, I looked back at your old posts and found the thread about this jacket, but the photos would no longer come up. I usually wear between a size 40 and 42, so I'm hopeful this jacket should fit.
I've been amazed at what some of these vintage jackets are selling for now, so when the seller put up a low buy it now price I had to jump on it.
I just broke the news to my wife that I bought ANOTHER leather jacket. Since our Anniversary is coming up shortly, I told her it could be my gift. She is tolerant of my obsessions, fortunately.

fedoralover

James Miller

One of the Regulars
It should fit.

Fedoralover,

It should fit. I have the measurments wrote down somewhere. I understand about the wife I got one of those to. when I told her I would like another jacket for Christmas she.. she.. is still giving me that look! When the jacket arrives please take some picture so we can see you enjoying it.

Mr. Scratch

New in Town
James Miller said:
Fedoralover,

I understand about the wife I got one of those to. when I told her I would like another jacket for Christmas she.. she.. is still giving me that look!

lol

As I was looking at the pics, my wife came by, glanced over my shoulder, assumed I was shopping, and said "Errr..You're not buying another leather jacket are you?"

I really had to laugh when I reached the end of this thread. I'm not alone after all. Probably not the first to say "Oh that? Oh, yeah, I''ve had that for ages. I just don't bring it out much" either. :p

Nice jacket Fedoralover.

Peacoat

Bartender
FL, now that you know the jacket is not black, you will need to sell it so you can get what you really want. I would like to have that jacket, so keep me in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot