Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Career of Fighting Facists

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Hey all,

I met an interesting gentleman recently. His name was George Sossenko. He was a French WWII veteran. Now, like many others I am not innocent when it comes to making fun of the French in WWII.

However, this man's story really gave me a new respect for some of the French. He must've been in his late 80s. He told me that he started fighting facists as a 16-year-old in the Spanish Civil War!

He hated the facists so much, he just had to fight them. Many of the anti-facist groups in Spain wouldn't let him fight due to his age, so he reluctantly joined the anarchists, b/c they didn't have an age limit!

When France was invaded, he fought the Germans and I could see on his face his feelings when France surrendered. He escaped with the Free French Army. I cannot imagine wanting to fight for my country against invaders and finding myself in the minority when the rest of my country succumbed to the enemy. It must have been horrible.

Regardless, he went back to Europe to liberate the continent and then afterwards, he went to South America to fight there in the 1950s and was even imprisoned for a time by the dictator he was fighting against - can't remember the actual war - I was too in awe of the fact that I was talking to a veteran of the Spanish Civil War and WWII and that he was French!

He's one I'll never forget.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Talking of Spanish Civil war...

Reminds me of my old French teacher "Lousy Larmour" we called him. Quite an old fellow by the time he taught (or tried to) me French. Only later did I find out that as a young man he joined one of the Irish battallions that went to Spain as volunteers to fight Franco's facistas. I saw him in a very different light after that, certainly not "lousy" ever again!

Cienfuegos

New in Town
Greetings to all!! I'm new here abouts, and I see that they have named the Spanish Civil war. On this war, my two grandparents fought in her, one in the Nationalistic side that it were those of Franco and other in the Republican. To part of having your political ideas, depending where you will be you were fighting in one or in another edict.
I touch one of my grandparents in the Fascist side due to the fact that it was doing the military service in Canary Island and it was here where I am in preparation the military coup. Other was in Barcelona and I plunder him there.
Remember when he was speaking with some of my grandparents on the topic, and they were telling me great histories on this period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda