Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Chair From My Grandparents

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Here is a chair that belonged to my grandparents......It was in their house for as long as I can remember, and my grandmother gave it to me.....They moved from Ithaca, New York to Delaware in the 1930's, and this is one of the things they had in their home in Delaware, very early on.

My grandfather refinished it sometime in the 1960's, I believe....He did a beautiful job....Perhaps that took away from the "value" of the chair, but not in my eyes, I'd never part with it anyway.

Here are a couple of pics, front and back.....No labels or manufacturer's name to be found on it anywhere.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice. You're lucky to have a piece of your Grandparent's furniture. So many people don't have (or don't care about) a "physical" connection to their past.

I have an old chair almost exactly like that one except it's a rocker. It's not a family piece, but it is rather old.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Lovely chair. Who doesn't love a Windsor chair? There are so many variations. It's weird to think that the style was invented in the early 1700's to be used as OUTDOOR furniture. I wouldn't leave it outside!
One note: Be careful what you refinish. A real antique can have 80% of its value destroyed by taking away the original finish. My family had an old 1860's vintage chair in a rental cottage, and our tenant had the nerve to repaint it with red enamel! The chair had irreplaceable, and unrestorable, casein paint (aka milk paint).

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Big Man said:
Very nice. You're lucky to have a piece of your Grandparent's furniture. So many people don't have (or don't care about) a "physical" connection to their past.

I have an old chair almost exactly like that one except it's a rocker. It's not a family piece, but it is rather old.

My mother still has hers, somewhere, too. Also a rocker. She's had it for as long as I can remember.

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy