Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A commercial that promotes the worst of today

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I will not debate the superiority of a single good blade (hence my statement about straight razors). However, the multi-blade disposables are vastly superior to single-blade disposables, at least in my experience.

Oh no doubt - single-edged disposable razors, like Bic, are horrendous. There's a good reason I used these Gillette monstrosities to begin with. I'm referring to double-edged "disposable" razors - the kind you plunk down into a razor apparatus.

c746bb9f-65bf-d230-4cb7-387ebd27757a.jpg

Derby-double-edged-razor-blades.jpg

Undertow

...In addition P&G would be letting people go. The retailers would be letting people go. That's more people who suddenly have less money to spend. I can't see how having more people with less income strengthens the economy...

This is like arguing in favor of a new bell and whistle on every toaster. If we eliminate the bells and whistles, and just buy simple toasters, we'll be laying off all sorts of bell workers and whistle makers. And what of their managers, and what of their union reps? My god - local economies everywhere could screech to a halt tomorrow with the sudden influx of unemployed bell workers, whistle makers, union reps and middle-managers!

No, if P&G fired Fusion4 employees, who would man the machines to produce the increased double edged (DE) razor blades output? And if no additional employees are needed, wouldn't there be a need for DE razors now that disposable razors are useless? Seems to me a former Fusion4 factory worker might do awfully well learning to produce DE razors, no?

I also think variety is the spice of life. I like using an automatic coffee pot in the morning when I'm rushing around trying to get ready. I like a French press when I have time to relax. There's nothing wrong with owning both - but throwing your cheesy old Mr. Coffee away so you can have a Saeco Incanto Deluxe Coffee Machine, chrome finished with multiple beverage settings seems excessive. Am I trying to make coffee or solve an agonizing craving for the best espresso in the world?

Noirblack

One of the Regulars
This is like arguing in favor of a new bell and whistle on every toaster. If we eliminate the bells and whistles, and just buy simple toasters, we'll be laying off all sorts of bell workers and whistle makers. And what of their managers, and what of their union reps? My god - local economies everywhere could screech to a halt tomorrow with the sudden influx of unemployed bell workers, whistle makers, union reps and middle-managers!

No, if P&G fired Fusion4 employees, who would man the machines to produce the increased double edged (DE) razor blades output? And if no additional employees are needed, wouldn't there be a need for DE razors now that disposable razors are useless? Seems to me a former Fusion4 factory worker might do awfully well learning to produce DE razors, no?

I also think variety is the spice of life. I like using an automatic coffee pot in the morning when I'm rushing around trying to get ready. I like a French press when I have time to relax. There's nothing wrong with owning both - but throwing your cheesy old Mr. Coffee away so you can have a Saeco Incanto Deluxe Coffee Machine, chrome finished with multiple beverage settings seems excessive. Am I trying to make coffee or solve an agonizing craving for the best espresso in the world?

This isn't arguing for every bell and whistle. The market sorts out what bells and whistles people purchase. I don't.

Let's say the demand goes up for DE blades. They cost a lot less than Fusion, so the margin isn't there. Are you telling me that a former Fusion maker should be happy to make less manufacturing DE blades? I ask you again, would it be good for you economically if the demand for the goods and or services your company makes drops?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
:-/ Okay, that is just in hopes of someone online shopping in an alcohol soaked haze. Even if someone liked that as some kind of statement piece, they would probably glue some handles to stones themselves and save $3950 +.

I'll be opening my "Get a Handle" Rock Shop later today. I think I'll let mine go for $1,500 each set, and that's WITH a COA from the artist (me).

Undertow

This isn't arguing for every bell and whistle. The market sorts out what bells and whistles people purchase.

If this were the case, you wouldn't see nearly half the products you find at your local department store. What's the difference between a generic bamboo cutting board for $12, a similar bamboo cutting board for $26 made by Kitchenaid and a $60 "professional" bamboo cutting board "with grooves"?

The answer is simple; people have been groomed to think they are making some kind of important choice that will affect their future lives, and therefore they need the [enter modifer here] to warrant the purchase. Whether they need "organically raised bamboo" or "eco friendly wood" or "liquid catching grooves" or "colored rubber tips", whatever, it's the bells and whistles that often sell the product. Companies differentiate their products with bells and whistels. It keeps this consumer market spinning. Why else would one need to replace their home decor, or kitchen utensils, or "outdated" automobiles? I can understand something breaking and being replaced, but c'mon...

Let's say the demand goes up for DE blades. They cost a lot less than Fusion, so the margin isn't there. Are you telling me that a former Fusion maker should be happy to make less manufacturing DE blades? I ask you again, would it be good for you economically if the demand for the goods and or services your company makes drops?

Did the Scarecrow from Oz just walk in this discussion, because that's a strawman if I've seen one. What are you proposing? That a manufacturer can/cannot produce other items efficiently and still make profit? Or that a manufacturer may/may not need to rise and fall to the demands of consumers? Or are you simply being petulant for the sake of argument?

I guess we'll have to define 'good' here. If you mean 'good' = ONLY producing product A, then it would not be good for P&G - who only has potentital to make product A - to discontinue, or decrease production. Any company built on a single product, or who only has potential to produce a single product, is going to face this risk from the day it opens its doors.

But if you mean good = a company who can't tell their rear from a hole in the ground ends up shutting down, while a better suited company fills the void, then yes, it's absolutely good. Such is life.

Who's fault is it when Orville the farmer insists above all else that there will eventually be a demand for turnip colonics and subsequently goes bankrupt when few grocery stores buy his heaps of turnips? Are we crying about Orville being unemployed...or are we maybe nudging Orville to develop a better crop - say corn, wheat and beans?

And anyway, this still boils down to a group of slick Marketing guys sitting in a room developing the next "need". By definition, their new product is a "variety" so let's not boo hoo about needing variety.

Cut your vegetables on cardboard and buy a new hat if you want variety.

Last edited:

Noirblack

One of the Regulars
If this were the case, you wouldn't see nearly half the products you find at your local department store. What's the difference between a generic bamboo cutting board for $12, a similar bamboo cutting board for $26 made by Kitchenaid and a $60 "professional" bamboo cutting board "with grooves"?

The answer is simple; people have been groomed to think they are making some kind of important choice that will affect their future lives, and therefore they need the [enter modifer here] to warrant the purchase. Whether they need "organically raised bamboo" or "eco friendly wood" or "liquid catching grooves" or "colored rubber tips", whatever, it's the bells and whistles that often sell the product. Companies differentiate their products with bells and whistels. It keeps this consumer market spinning. Why else would one need to replace their home decor, or kitchen utensils, or "outdated" automobiles? I can understand something breaking and being replaced, but c'mon...

Did the Scarecrow from Oz just walk in this discussion, because that's a strawman if I've seen one. What are you proposing? That a manufacturer can/cannot produce other items efficiently and still make profit? Or that a manufacturer may/may not need to rise and fall to the demands of consumers? Or are you simply being petulant for the sake of argument?

I guess we'll have to define 'good' here. If you mean 'good' = ONLY producing product A, then it would not be good for P&G - who only has potentital to make product A - to discontinue, or decrease production. Any company built on a single product, or who only has potential to produce a single product, is going to face this risk from the day it opens its doors.

But if you mean good = a company who can't tell their rear from a hole in the ground ends up shutting down, while a better suited company fills the void, then yes, it's absolutely good. Such is life.

Who's fault is it when Orville the farmer insists above all else that there will eventually be a demand for turnip colonics and subsequently goes bankrupt when few grocery stores buy his heaps of turnips? Are we crying about Orville being unemployed...or are we maybe nudging Orville to develop a better crop - say corn, wheat and beans?

And anyway, this still boils down to a group of slick Marketing guys sitting in a room developing the next "need". By definition, their new product is a "variety" so let's not boo hoo about needing variety.

Cut your vegetables on cardboard and buy a new hat if you want variety.

You are misunderstanding my comment to such a degree that I will clarify it for you instead of answering your questions that are based on a misunderstanding.

Most people know that in the context of the phrase "goods and services", "goods" simply means products. Is that clear enough for you?

Flicka

One Too Many
Aha. Yet another brilliant idea someone else came up with before me. Darn it! We need to concoct something similar, but still gobsmackingly different so we can be rich too!

How about... A toilet seat on a plank?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points