Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Dying Breed During a Terribly Sad Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

geo

i don’t wear vintage clothing because i’m on a moral crusade against the decline of western civilisation

I wear modern clothing because I'm on a moral crusade against the decline of western civilisation. It's a way of saying that dressing well and class in general is not only a thing of the past.

Baggers

Practically Family
Naama said:
I think also boys should have the right to be feminin! Since girls have the right to be manly(?) don't have the right word in my vocabulary, sorry.........................

Naama

Masculine is the word you're looking for.

Sure, different strokes for different folks. BUT -- just remember that while you may have the free will to pursue whatever lifestyle choices to which you feel inclined, that doesn't mean I have to accept or endorse them.

Cheers!

Sergei said:
Read the below story:
http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/17452004.htm

This about sums it up for me. No class for the current crop. None.... I'd rather watch old re-runs of the Dean Martin TV show (just bought the dvd set), than try to understand the current crop of celebs.

Hahahahhaha! So you're saying that the current crop of celebrities stink? ;)

Regards to all,

J

Jonesy

New in Town
Sergei said:
No class for the current crop. None.... I'd rather watch old re-runs of the Dean Martin TV show (just bought the dvd set), than try to understand the current crop of celebs.

Thank you Sergei, my point exactly! And I'm about to order the Dean Martin Roasts, back when comedians were actually talented!

Bebop

Practically Family
Jonesy said:
Thank you Sergei, my point exactly! And I'm about to order the Dean Martin Roasts, back when comedians were actually talented!
I think comedians are by far much better now than any other time in history. It is now considered an art form and taken up with much more passion than it used to be. You can't get people to laugh as easy as you used to. The Dean Martin Roasts were funny at the time but now they seem bland and over praised. It is nice to see some of the celebrities behaving a little more like normal people but after a few minutes I do ask myself, "Why is Dean Martin laughing so hard? What was just said was not that funny".

Bebop said:
I think comedians are by far much better now than any other time in history. It is now considered an art form and taken up with much more passion than it used to be. You can't get people to laugh as easy as you used to. The Dean Martin Roasts were funny at the time but now they seem bland and over praised. It is nice to see some of the celebrities behaving a little more like normal people but after a few minutes I do ask myself, "Why is Dean Martin laughing so hard? What was just said was not that funny".

I suppose it is easier to get a laugh by simply swearing and not having the audience use any mental imagery of their own. :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

Sergei

Gone Home
Well I didn't get the Dean Martin roasts. Yeah, I tend to agree that they were silly... from memory. What I was referring to was the Dean Martin TV show. There were skits, comedy, singing - you know a variety show.

One day during the holidays, I commented to my wife that I missed the good old fashion Christmas shows and Bob Hope USO shows. Low and behold, scanning through the 500 hundred channels, I found the Military Channel replaying Bob Hope USO shows. My point? The jokes were not stale, not silly... they really genuinely made you laugh w/out resorting to the use of streaming profanity.

Sergei said:
Well I didn't get the Dean Martin roasts. Yeah, I tend to agree that they were silly... from memory. What I was referring to was the Dean Martin TV show. There were skits, comedy, singing - you know a variety show.

One day during the holidays, I commented to my wife that I missed the good old fashion Christmas shows and Bob Hope USO shows. Low and behold, scanning through the 500 hundred channels, I found the Military Channel replaying Bob Hope USO shows. My point? The jokes were not stale, not silly... they really genuinely made you laugh w/out resorting to the use of streaming profanity.

Awww...c'mon. Ruth Buzzi getting insulted by Dean and then her chasing him around whacking him with her purse. Mohammed Ali trying to yank Howard Cossel's toupee off? Bob Hope saying that Lucille Ball wanted to dye her hair back to the original color but she can't remember what is was? Uncle Miltie, the Drunk Comedian, Don Rikkles? These guys weren't funny?
Ok, I give up. :kick: :cry: ;)

Regards to all,

J

Bebop

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
I suppose it is easier to get a laugh by simply swearing and not having the audience use any mental imagery of their own. :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J
Are you saying that all comedy now is simply swearing and not having the audience use their own mental imagery? I didn't know swearing was allowed on T.V. and radio.:rolleyes: Sounds like you are just parroting what you have been told. Watch Comedy Central and tell me how much swearing the comedians do.:p

Bebop

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Awww...c'mon. Ruth Buzzi getting insulted by Dean and then her chasing him around whacking him with her purse. Mohammed Ali trying to yank Howard Cossel's toupee off? Bob Hope saying that Lucille Ball wanted to dye her hair back to the original color but she can't remember what is was? Uncle Miltie, the Drunk Comedian, Don Rikkles? These guys weren't funny?
Ok, I give up. :kick: :cry: ;) .

Regards to all,

J
I suppose comedians imitating people with drinking problems are much funnier than comedians swearing.:rolleyes:

Section10

One of the Regulars
It's really kind of odd, but when I first saw "Some like it Hot" a long time ago, I thought it was hilarious. Then I saw it again about 10 years ago and thought it was dopey. I saw it again last week and thought it was hilarious just like the first time. Same movie. The change must have been in me.
I think most people get conditioned to comedy and violence and wind up accepting and enjoying whatever the industry wants to dish out to us. Most young people haven't seen enough of the old stuff to appreciate it for what it is. Maybe if they did, it would mean more to them.

Bebop said:
Are you saying that all comedy now is simply swearing and not having the audience use their own mental imagery? I didn't know swearing was allowed on T.V. and radio.:rolleyes: Sounds like you are just parroting what you have been told. Watch Comedy Central and tell me how much swearing the comedians do.:p

Yes.
I would but they keep bleeping out the swearing. Are you really listening? :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

Marty M.

Vendor
So sad that you have to laugh.

Jonesy said:

Foster Brooks, Nipsey Russell, Ruth Buzzy, Don Rickles, Paul Lynn, Bob Newhart, Bill Cosby, Joey Bishop, Rowan & Martin, The Smothers Brothers, Charlie Weaver, Carol Brunett, Flip Wilson, Rich Little and the all time BEST Jonathon Winters. Man, do they make'em like that any more?

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk