Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A fast food rant

Jsoftz

New in Town
Re: Another sappy post about my love for the USA.

Originally posted by The_Edge
My one complaint about fast food places concerns the employees. They are either border jumpers that can barely speak a lick of English or they're idiot teenagers with a lousy work ethic. Let's face it, working at McD's isn't rocket science. The least they can do is put some effort and reasonable intelligence into getting an order correct. Being good at a job isn't always about liking what you are doing. It's about respecting yourself because of a job well done. No matter what the task. The rest follows. [/B]

While I don't work in fast food, I do work in retail. Let me tell you, some people have to worst work ethics. I can't believe it. I always try to work hard and get my stocking done and provide good customer service, but the mentality of so many kids who come in is that "This isn't my career choice, so it doesn't really matter how hard I work here." That's the worst attitude i've ever heard. I can't stand it. Michaels (the store I work at) pays you to work for them, so you should earn your money and work for them. They don't pay you to slack off or complain about how this isn't what your life is about. I get very angry with some of the new guys who are seasonal and don't care how they do because they will be fired after Christmas. For one, they obviously didn't read their contract- it says if management sees fit, they will be fired. Heck, if it were up to me, i'd fire them right now for having that attitude.

But anyhow, my point is work ethic in this country has fallen a good deal from where our forefathers came from. It really saddens me to see it as it is.

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by MK
A very good point....and one that I need to keep in mind.

Yes, it is a good point. But with todays anti-discrimination laws being abused it would be the manager who gets fired for turning away a possible hire for reasons like not speaking the language of the land or having piercings all over their face or dressing like a gang member or ...

kent

New in Town
My assumption is McDonalds is marketed to Elementary school children. Hence, their ability to force you to go to mcD's and get the toy. I don't know what is so special about McD's toy, but they always prefer them. Sometime around 5th or 6th grade I had a teacher complained about her high school aged kids who would run back and forth to mcDonalds all night. I never quite figured it out, but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with free food.

The unmotivated labor isn't uncommon, but the stores normally have to deal with it, or they'll have to get by with a lot fewer employees. A ff/retail job shouldn't entail a job that can conistenly stress you/wear you out. With that, outside of work hours are pretty much all clear, so they make ideal part time jobs. The lazy kids feel overqualified for their jobs, but can't give you a better idea for what they can do so they work just hard enough not to get fired instead of taking a little pride in their work and making a good impression on the people around them. Amerikanisch Apathy...

I guess the late night fast-food spots being open is more welcome to me than IHOP (seathing rage to ihop)... For whatever reason the service will be better at the fast food than ihop late at night. I even think the drunks at whataburger are nicer than the coffee drunks at ihop too.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Another one that I forgot to mention is that they are trained to interrupt you with questions.

See if you can complete your order next time you go through the drive through without them butting in.

If they wouldn't interrupt me it would go a lot faster and I bet more accurate.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
A possible exception...

If you're in the Seattle area, check out Dick's drive-in. It's a throwback to the 50's drive-in burger joint.

Occasionally, the lines are horrible, generally when the clientele is under the influence of reefer or alcohol. However, I'm always impressed by the level of expertise and service on the part of the employees.

I've loved the place since I was a kid, and although you'll now see lots of tatoos and piercings, the level of service is still good.

I agree that customer service has become as endangered as alligator luggage, but there is an occasional oasis, even at the low end of the price scale.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I got cussed out once for pointing out that since I hadn't ordered a cheeseburger and cannot eat a cheeseburger, that I didn't want a cheeseburger.

"Its some free damn cheese!"

I was polite, but I was thinking "well, I got free bubblegum on my shoe walking into this place but I bet you don't want that." :rage:

dostacos

Practically Family
Viola said:
I got cussed out once for pointing out that since I hadn't ordered a cheeseburger and cannot eat a cheeseburger, that I didn't want a cheeseburger.

I was polite, but I was thinking "well, I got free bubblegum on my shoe walking into this place but I bet you don't want that." :rage:
ask him if he has the free treatment when you go into anaphylactic shock from the allergic reaction you are about to have from that FREE CHEESE:eek:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Haha, dostacos, I probably should have.

I remember one time at a small little non-chain hoagie place I got my sandwich order...messed up somehow (I was the only one there, I dunno how it happened) but I just told the guy I was so sorry but I'd ordered turkey and I just can't eat tuna, and he was like "...you did say turkey, I dunno what happened -" turned away to the kitchen and howled "TONY YOU DUMB @$*! the girl didn't want any %@%! TUNA, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING BACK THERE!"

I was like "...thank you?"

lol

dashiell

One of the Regulars
Viola said:

That's rich! I've been similarly treated when I received something I didn't order. It may have been that I was given a larger size than I asked for, or something of that nature. In any event, I have no issue eating *more* than I intend to from time to time, so I decided the easiest thing would be to pay the balance for what I'd been given. You wouldn't *believe* the treatment I received!

Nashoba

One Too Many
Chamorro said:
That's why I like In-N-Out. Very simple menu, only one size of fries. The do have other things not listed but you have to be an insider to know about them. Weeds out the riff-raff.

I REALLY miss in-n-out :( Whenever I go home, I have to eat there at least once. I messed up on this last trip and didn't get to one....now I'm sad....my next chance at it won't be until November.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Pyroxene said:
I was asked by my friend's grandfather once what was the difference between supper and dinner?

Any thoughts? He told me but I want to hear what you think.

It was always my understanding that supper was the midday meal and dinner was the evening meal. At least I think that's the way I remember it....

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Nashoba said:
It was always my understanding that supper was the midday meal and dinner was the evening meal. At least I think that's the way I remember it....
We always said that dinner was the noonday meal and supper the evening meal. The way I would remember it is that it's also alphabetical that way.:)

Nashoba

One Too Many
J. M. Stovall said:
We always said that dinner was the noonday meal and supper the evening meal. The way I would remember it is that it's also alphabetical that way.:)

I had a feeling I had it backwards....I'm working off of very little sleep lately...i've been mixing a lot of stuff up....

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I wish they would all quit coming out with new menu items. Just sell what you ORIGIANALY sold! They all jump on the bandwagon of the newest "fad" food, such as McD's new "chipotle" whatever. C'mon, you're McDonald's for crying out loud! You're not a mexican or caribean, or bbq restaurant.

Or Taco Bell with their mega layered taco shells. Just sell simple tacos.

My mom was in a White Castle today and she said the kid (probably 15) taking her order looked to be new and was being so polite and trying so hard. As soon as he finished taking her order, two women working with him jumped his case about he should've said "this or that", such as ask her if she wanted cheesy fries.. yadda, yadda. For one thing, that was uncalled for in front of customers, and two, like you all have said, we don't like to be asked if we want other menu items!

I have in the past called fast food places when the service was really good. I remembered the name of the worker's tag, or it would be on my reciept. The managers were always surprised that I was calling to praise and not complain.
Nikki

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I love pickles. But except for at hoagie places, I just kinda let the pickle situation work itself out.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Having been said fast food worker a bazillion years ago, its part of the job, its the "up selling". Trying to get another sale in, just like when your at 7/11 or the grocery store and they ask you if you'd like anything else. Personally I always hated doing it, but I know where they are coming from and just say a polite "no thank you" knowing that they are just doing their job.

ohairas said:
As soon as he finished taking her order, two women working with him jumped his case about he should've said "this or that", such as ask her if she wanted cheesy fries.. yadda, yadda. For one thing, that was uncalled for in front of customers, and two, like you all have said, we don't like to be asked if we want other menu items!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24