Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Fedora Lounge Akubra Hat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoney

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
Point in frankness, there are several hatmakers here on the board who would be glad to recreate for you A Whippet or any other hat.

Agreed Matt.

However, this thread was not about creating a custom hat, rather having a manufacturer create a hat to our specifications. I still think this will work.
Like any other worthwhile task this will take some effort and coordination.
If we are able to accomplish this once, then it can be done again.
My hope is that we can create some positive influence in the hat industry
and drive competition between manufacturers to produce a better product
than that which is available now.

Sator said:
I am used to working with Steve. There seems to be this feeling that the project is highly likely to end in disappointment and that I would be blamed for it and it would cause much ill feeling. This sort of thing makes it very difficult for me.

Plus I got this feeling that people suspected I am some con artist trying to get people to give out credit card details and pay out deposits on a hat which would never materialise. Again, not a very inviting scenario.

Lastly, if all people wanted was for Steve to make a personal appearance on the forum, all one needed to was to ask me to phone him up to arrange this. Instead I got told: no middleman. I simply found that a bit disquieting.

If you look at it from my POV and you put yourself in my shoes, you will be able to see how it makes life rather uncomfortable.

Yes, I can see that. However, only if you are still taking MK's statements the wrong way. I thought he made it clear that this was not about mistrust.

This Forum is operated by a publisher, rather than by a group of individuals.
As such the Forum's management is concerned when an individual starts to broker business involving the forum. It' nothing personal against you. This is just sound judgement being applied to the situation.

As I said, if Steve would contact MK this project could move forward. I'm sure that there are many benefits that Nungar can realize by becoming officialy involved with the Fedora Lounge and Classic Style magazine. If Steve is no longer interested I'm sure someone else will be. The ball is now in his court.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Let me go on record

If a Whippet clone can be produced in Akubra's soft felt (Heritage Quality - Imperial Quality is not their top end and is not soft enough), in large sizes (Original Whippets are still out there in size 7.25 and below; don't bother), in any color, for the price range mentioned $100 US or less), I will break my leg if necessary trying to get the money wired fast enough to make sure I get one.

There are some of us who are hoping against hope this can be pulled off - in a way that won't leave anyone holding the bag, including Slator, or Mr. Nunger.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
scotrace said:
No sponsor here has protested the project to anyone in any way.

Thank you for mentioning this. Between this thread and the thread about vendor signatures it seems the sponsors/vendors of this site have been made to look like the bad guys.

Sator said:
Thank you for your advice, Matt. However, as I am located in Australia, I would prefer to try to stick to local hatmakers.

Yet you expect members here to buy from a part-time, internet only hat seller.

FL Members,

You aren't aware of what may already be going on "behind the scenes". I'm sure many hat vendors, both on the retailing and manufacturing side, visit this forum and gather information. Keep the exchange of ideas coming and you never know what may show up on the shelf one day. For Fall '07 Dorfman has created a wool felt hat that has definitely been influenced by the Stratoliner. I know you're saying "but it's wool" but it shows people are listening. Give them time.

Aaron

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
scotrace said:
If a Whippet clone can be produced in Akubra's soft felt... in large sizes... for the price range mentioned $100 US or less... I will break my leg if necessary trying to get the money wired fast enough to make sure I get one.

Yup. I'll be right behind you.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Let's not end on a sour note.

This thread has sparked a great deal of interest and generated a new touch of esprit de corps among our members. It would be a pity to see it end on a sour note.

Wouldn't it be far better if the enthusiasm Sator produced could be turned into something useful and beneficial to the membership? I have a suggestion:

MK, would you please consider allowing Stoney to go ahead with the polls he tried to start?
Stoney said:
I started some polls this afternoon that cover crown height, ribbon size and brim finish.
These polls would have the very limited purpose of simply generating some very rich information about the preferences of our Fedora Lounge members. These specifications could be put together into our ideal vision of the 'perfect' fedora...maybe several 'perfect' fedoras.

This information would be of great interest to all of us; but it would be especially valuable to the vendors, since we are probably the largest group of fedora enthusiasts ever to gather in one place.

If we did this, MK, the next time you go to the Headwear Association’s annual meeting, you would have a very powerful presentation about the market for fedoras, with firm data on the particular designs most preferred. It would also make a very interesting article for Classic Style magazine.

Warm regards, everyone,

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
A raw edge, with a tall crown and wide ribbon, in the Heritage felt is already being made - it's called the Federation Deluxe. So why bother?

A true Whippet-like hat with a bound edge is something that you can't buy except from a custom maker - or vintage if you're a lucky under-7 3/8 guy. And sorry, but any group project hat simply has to be either blue, gray, or brown to have any chance of success. Colors like peach and green are not practical choices for most of us.

Joel

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Joel Tunnah said:
A true Whippet-like hat with a bound edge is something that you can't buy except from a custom maker - or vintage if you're a lucky under-7 3/8 guy. And sorry, but any group project hat simply has to be either blue, gray, or brown to have any chance of success.
Then how about a pale grey-blue, a dark charcoal grey, and a medium taupe - all rare colors nowadays and all versatile.

All with self-color bands and bound edges - equally rare and versatile.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Friends, in my life I have proposed a number of ideas and projects which have failed to grow to fruition. Usually a "great idea" has some holes in it that cause leaks to appear, and it appears that happened in this case. I for one appreciate Sator's energy and enthusiasm, and I hope he stays here and takes part in discussions. Although the original Akubra-based project won't come about, I echo the sentiments of those who feel that there is virtue to pursuing the discussion.

The fact is that projects like this don't usually happen with a week's running start and everybody jumping into the pool. And Aaron's post is especially encouraging; I believe that the FL has enough members that if we continue to express interest in a fairly well defined hat model, sooner or later a vendor will be able to respond because the market will be reasonably well defined.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
I would really like to see the polls returned and be allowed to be posted. I was finding that very interesting...

As for as the hat project...i understand MK position, if he wants to squelch the idea for a few weeks or so....it's his forum...i don;t see where he is being unfair....

but bring back the polls and let them run....

mark the shoeshine boy

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Can it look like this?
dsp_thomas3.jpg

Probably not. Too bad.

dean

Aaron Hats

Vendor
RBH said:
Sounds cool to me Aaron, will you carry the hat in your shop?

Yes, we will but I'm not sure when it will be in yet.

johnnycanuck said:
This Dorfman Stratoliner influenced hat, do you know the quality of the wool?

I haven't seen it in person but I'd say it's the regular lightweight, crushable wool felt.

FYI, I'm working on a few different projects that may be of interest to some FL members. I'm not ready to show my cards just yet so stay tuned.

Aaron

Feraud

Bartender
I did not get the impression that polls were deleted or banned. If a fella wants to take a poll, then do it.
No one should take away any hard feelings because this single project did not pan out. If members really want something done, they will find a way to do it.

jml90

One of the Regulars
If any of the Sponsors on here can get us a solid hat that we can throw anything at vintage styled I'm sure we'd all buy it. We don't want TFL to stand behind it we've said it won't be official. So, Sator take the ideas to Steve at Nungar and I guarentee he'll sell out of them. I mean it's no different then the "Forum Special" RMWs. I think MK is worried that we're peddling other people's goods and not his sponsors.

Stoney

Practically Family
Joel Tunnah said:
A raw edge, with a tall crown and wide ribbon, in the Heritage felt is already being made - it's called the Federation Deluxe. So why bother?

A true Whippet-like hat with a bound edge is something that you can't buy except from a custom maker - or vintage if you're a lucky under-7 3/8 guy. And sorry, but any group project hat simply has to be either blue, gray, or brown to have any chance of success. Colors like peach and green are not practical choices for most of us.

Joel

Joel,

I think you missed the point of this thread. The specs for the hat thus far are very vague and could be applied to many hats, including the Federation.
However, I'm sure that I, and the rest of the posters on this thread have something different in mind. This goes equally well for the color choices. The hat is intended to be very different from what is available now from Akubra, Stetson, Bailey ect.. If we all had a brown Federation in mind we would have just ordered them.

jml90 said:
I think MK is worried that we're peddling other people's goods and not his sponsors.

I don't this that the case here jlm90.

I'm a bit disapointed by the majority of the reactions to MK's post.
I never saw anything in there about this project being quashed at all.
MK has set down a set to rules for projects like this and the only thing required to bring this to completion is to follow those rules.

I'm hoping that Steve, of Nungar, can see through the fog well enough to find his way into this. If not, one or more vendors may be interested. In fact I see no reason why we could not have more than one hat design project underway if more than one vendor is interested. I don't see any reason to give up now and it's against my nature to call it quits this easily when the end results could be very rewarding for all concerned.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
jml90 said:
If any of the Sponsors on here can get us a solid hat that we can throw anything at vintage styled I'm sure we'd all buy it. We don't want TFL to stand behind it we've said it won't be official. So, Sator take the ideas to Steve at Nungar and I guarentee he'll sell out of them. I mean it's no different then the "Forum Special" RMWs. I think MK is worried that we're peddling other people's goods and not his sponsors.

jm190, we can't stomach any more of this nonsense. You simply are not reading, or are refusing to comprehend what is being said.

For the final time:

NO SPONSOR HAS MADE ANY SORT OF COMPLAINT.

ANY VENDOR IS FREE TO PURSUE THIS IDEA DIRECTLY.

THIS CANNOT BE PURSUED USING THE FEDORA LOUNGE VIA THE SATOR/NUNGAR ROUTE. NOR VIA ANY PERSON WHO WOULD OPEN THEMSELVES UP TO BEING CAUGHT IN THE MIDDLE.

YOU CANNOT "GUARANTEE" ANYTHING AS YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT WOULD BE INVOLVED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany