Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Funny Thing Happened To Me After The Hurricane!

MJL

One of the Regulars
We endured Hurricane Katrina as it nailed my home town of Homestead, Florida last week. After getting cleaned up, repairing the damage and seeing to the restoration of our power we went shopping.

We were doing some "replacement" shopping at BJs when a man walked up to me and started telling me, in Spanish, that I looked JUST like his father used to dress back in Cuba during the 40s. He said that this was the way that most Cuban men of means dressed in the 40s and 50s. I was wearing slacks, a heavily starched white Guayaberra shirt and the new/old Milan Straw hat that I had just bought off Ebay. I also had a .45 on my hip, under the Guayberra and a large stogie in my top pocket. I had not thought about making any statements. I was just going shopping. Yet, looking at myself in the reflection of the frozen food cases I guess I did look like something that walked off the plane from Havana in 1947. If you have not tried the Guayaberra look you ought to consider it. I have used one for years in the summer time as another method to keep cool and pack heat at the same time. The hat was the thing that pushed me right into the past. Cool! I need another one of these vintage straws now!

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Packing heat in California (under anything) is such a dangerous risk. I just came back from Florida. I love your state. I wore guayberas the whole time I was there.

You mentioned a stogie. From a cigar smoker to another cigar smoker. What do you enjoy the most?

I regularly smoke Arturo Fuente 858 Flor Finas and Hoyo De Monterrey Excaliburs and anything CAO.

Cuban Montecristo #2 when I go to a legitimate Cuban cigar dealer in Rosarito, Mexico. (those are few and far between)

MJL

One of the Regulars
Daniel Riser said:
Packing heat in California (under anything) is such a dangerous risk. I just came back from Florida. I love your state. I wore guayberas the whole time I was there.

You mentioned a stogie. From a cigar smoker to another cigar smoker. What do you enjoy the most?

I regularly smoke Arturo Fuente 858 Flor Finas and Hoyo De Monterrey Excaliburs and anything CAO.

Cuban Montecristo #2 when I go to a legitimate Cuban cigar dealer in Rosarito, Mexico. (those are few and far between)

I am but a poor Florida public school teacher so I cannot afford Cuban cigars. With so many faked Cuban cigars running around it is not really worth it...in my opinion. Believe it or not there are faked Cuban cigar brands being sold IN CUBA! On the same token I do get, from time to time, a few real Cubanos as most of my students hail from yonder nation. Indeed I was recently given a box of Vegas Robaina's from a student who graduated in June. I spent a week looking at the outside of the box to see if it was really a genuine Cuban product. After closely examining the box and contents I am convinced they are the real deal. I have not lit one up but I will soon! This box came back as the students personal baggage and is totally legal for him to import and to give me. If he was selling them that would be another story.

Usually I cannot afford to stick to certain brands. I try to stay away from the Nicaraguan tobacco as it can be harsh and their rollers leave much to be desired. On the other hand I have a real fondness for the Padron Cigars that are now being rolled in Nicaragua. I have smoked them for years and they just seem to get better. They are always rolled right and are really a good deal. I am also smoking a box of the Genuine Cuban Counterfeit 1958 cigars. These are OK everyday cigars. They are rolled well but can be harsh at times. I have had some superb sticks from Perdomo but also some real dogs. Their higher end brands are usually excellent. Their off brands that do not carry the Perdomo name, like the 1958s, are usually crap.

About every three or four months I make a trip to Mikes Cigars on Miami Beach and pick up some bargains. They have good prices and the shop is worth stepping in for a look. I also make regular trips to Little Havana and can stop in to places like Padrons to buy my sticks from the Padron family themselves, like I have done for years. I also like the La Gloria Cubano brand from El Credito but they can have rolling issues so they can be hit and miss at times. The La Gloria Cubana Serie R are usually excellent. With so many local choices you can see I tend to stay away from the name brands. I am now exploring a brand call Canao that is rolled in a little shop down the street from my work.

MJL

One of the Regulars
OH and I pack LEGAL heat. Yup, I am one of the 250,000+ Floridians with the Florida Concealed Weapons Permit. I have carried a sidearm ever since I worked as a Private Investigator and Bail Bonds agent in the 80s and 90s. Now that I have a "real" job I thought I could get away without the heat. Wrong! I have been teaching Latin gang members since I started my teaching career. Last year a wonderful member of MS-13 decided to threaten me. He was arrested and I was given a "warning" on my car. Oh well...bring it on! :rage: Every few years I get some nimrod gang member who thinks that he will run me and they learn that trying that is not a wise move. Have I mentioned I am looking to move away from Florida? :p

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Some of my favorite cigars are no names locals. That's almost all I smoked when I was in Florida. I love the Padron 5000. My first cigar was a La Gloria Cubana Wavell, but I buy El Credito seconds and they smoke just as well at half the price.

www.jrcigars.com sells a Cuban alternative of the Montecristo #2 (20 for $25) It's quite an incredible smoke regardless of the cheap price.

Regards,

Dan

MJL

One of the Regulars
Daniel Riser said:
Some of my favorite cigars are no names locals. That's almost all I smoked when I was in Florida. I love the Padron 5000. My first cigar was a La Gloria Cubana Wavell, but I buy El Credito seconds and they smoke just as well at half the price.

www.jrcigars.com sells a Cuban alternative of the Montecristo #2 (20 for $25) It's quite an incredible smoke regardless of the cheap price.

Regards,

Dan
The Padrons are sleepers in my opinion. I smoked the 5000 for years but have now taken a shine to the 3000. I am now finding the Robusto sized cigars are just about the right burn time for me. I would rather have a short fat stick than a long thin one. I just get more complex flavors out of the thicker sticks. Now did you try the Cafe' Cubano with your Padrons?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Padrons?

Never heard of these Padron 3000s or 5000s.
Are they local only? Didn't see them on that JR site.

As for packing heat... isn't that a sign that it's time
to leave now? The question is (writing from Oakland, CA),
where can you go now and be sure you won't find gangs
or crazy tweakers? Seems like that's what you get when
you let your society's middle class disappear.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
You won't find Padron on www.jrcigars.com because Lew Rothman has a deal with another Padron that blends a lot of his JR brand cigars. This Padron is related but had a falling out in the late 70's. Lew promises not to sell the Padron brand in exchange for the other Padron's expert blending.

You should be able to find Padron at any American cigar retailer. They almost always get over a 90 in Cigar Aficionado.

And if you have the money to spend try a Padron Anniversario 1926 or 1964. That is a square pressed cigar that has been touched by heaven.

http://www.padron.com/cigar_anniversary.php

I'm waiting for the moderators to delete this thread since it has gone completely off subject, but smoking was a significant part of the Golden Era, it was an era when they didn't know it was unhealthy! There should be a cigar section in this forum.

MJL

One of the Regulars
Well, I will put this conversation back on the hat track! Pardon the pun. My first collection of hats was ruined by Hurricane Andrew. All were vintage and wonderful. I held onto the remains of those hats for years but finally just disposed of the moldy, mangled mess in the late 90s. I am only now getting back into picking up some hats. In the meanwhile I began wearing Guyaberras. When I put the two together I was able to understand classic Caribbean style. Sadly, I am usually too lazy to press my Guayas so I usually end up wearing the rumpled. I am now on the look for more light weight hats to wear in the summer down here. Damn my big freak of nature head!

Ken

A-List Customer
I thought it was legal to wear a gun on your hip in CA? If thats the case, why is it such a hassle/danger? These things should be more distinct - either you can wear it and everything is fine or you cant wear it so dont.

Ken

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I love those shirts...are they also called Wedding Shirts? My brother said he was going to get me a couple for my B Day but I have not heard from him yet, no surprise there. I have not been able to find a store that sells them, I can find them on the net all day long, but I had wanted to try one on. My bro found a store in Houston that caters exclusively to the Hispanic comunity (imagine that ;) ) that has them, think I'll call the uncle of my children and see if he scored a couple for his older brother.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Guyaberra King!

I have many of these shirts. The pockets on the lower front of them, makes them ideal for my close-up magic shows. The shirts are nicely designed and definately have a look of 40's Cuba. I have mostly short sleaved styles, although my nicest on is silk and long sleave. This one was made in Cuba as the tag will attest to. It also has a 'cigar pocket' sewn into it. This is a nice little tiny pocket where you would normally find the breast pocket. Its about and inch and a half wide, and about4 inches deep. It supposed to hold one cigar until your ready to light up. I got the shirt in a local 2nd hand store, and the cigar pocket had tobacco particles still in it.

Perry Ellis, a modern designer, was tired of the look of todays fashions. So he is trying to bring back this Cuban look. He has a line of clothing called Cubavera and Havanara. This line has many styles of the guyaberra shirt. Also nice pants and shoes to match.

You can find them at local stores such as Dillards, Belks, etc.

Chad
ps...check out www.cubavera.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen