Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A handsome first family

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
I would like to take a moment to applaud our first family for looking so good.

obama.jpg

I put this picture on my wall because I'm so proud. I feel like it's the '60s all over again. Here Obama is seen in his favored casual wear: a proper shirt with jeans and nice shoes. Michelle as always is in a dress that complements her perfectly. I've never known what it's like to be so proud of a first family. Regardless of your political views, you have to admit they look good. :eusa_clap

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Staying off political viewpoints:

The NYT had an interesting piece yesterday about president-elect Obama's dread of the coming forced surrender of his Blackberry. Presidents can't do email, text messaging, they don't even get a conected laptop. Mr. Obama is expected to push for changes, though it is uncertain how his correspondence could be made secure or private, as all presidential writings and utterances are the property of the people, and a part of the daily record of his presidency. There is absolutely no privacy of any kind for US Presidents. A hard way to live.

They are certainly a well-dressed family. Mrs. Obama is fond of clothes, I understand. And he will probably have an influence on what we wear for the next few years.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Swearing in- January 20th

FYI, This is a picture not of the first family, but of the President-Elect and his family.

The first family would be the George W. Bush's. That will change on January 20th, when Mr. Obama is sworn in. Until then the President remains the same.

Miss Crisplock said:
FYI, This is a picture not of the first family, but of the President-Elect and his family.

The first family would be the George W. Bush's. That will change on January 20th, when Mr. Obama is sworn in. Until then the President remains the same.

Exactly...
..and the President does have such a wonderful looking family. I am especially impressed with the first Lady...Laura Bush.
I lived through the '60s. This definately isn't like the '60s all over again.
HD

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Yes, they are gorgeous, the two little girls are so cute. I love it that we will soon have a first lady who is as classy as Jackie Kennedy and Laura Bush and as savy as Eleanor Roosevelt and Hillary Clinton.

karol

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
It kinda bugs me that I've noticed she doesn't wear stockings though. I'm sure she HAS, and may often, just not when I've happened to see her in key photos and interviews. Obviously, this photos is more casual but I thought it odd she didn't have them on in the 60 Minutes interview that was on TV last night. Maybe I'm a little bit of a fuddy-duddy but I just thought it would have been very ladylike to do so even though it's not really the trend right now. At any rate, from what I've seen they're a very well dressed family regardless if he's the president-elect or just the fella next door.

seres

A-List Customer
As far as the most attractive First Family this country has ever had, I would vote for JFK and Jackie.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
But Abe Lincoln was a sharp dresser, so much so that his clothes have become just as iconic and recognizable as his personal appearance.

I'm not concerned with physical appearance, but I do think that the leader of the country should take the effort to dress well and promote a respectable appearance in all aspects of his/her life. President Bush always strikes me as someone who has to have other people dress him; in his casual moments he appears slovenly and careless, and when in a suit he seems like someone else picked it out for him. Ronald Reagan, on the other hand, had the chutzpah to wear what were, IMO, some very fine brown and tan suits, which suited him well and brought an aura of old-world professionalism to the 1980s. The nice looking but de rigeur navy blue suits with white shirts that have served as the essential uniform for both Bushes and Clinton need to be joined by more variety, and I'm hoping that Obama can be the man to shake up the presidential wardrobe a bit. Outside of the armed forces, nothing says stodgy and unwavering like wearing the exact same darn thing 99% of the time.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
MisterGrey said:
The nice looking but de rigeur navy blue suits with white shirts that have served as the essential uniform for both Bushes and Clinton need to be joined by more variety, and I'm hoping that Obama can be the man to shake up the presidential wardrobe a bit.
Don't hold your breath.

carter

I'll Lock Up
The initial 1st Family - Washington courting Martha Custis

John Whetton Ehninger. "Washington's First Interview with His Wife." New York: William Pate, 1863. 23 1/2 x 28 1/8. Engraving by G. R. Hall.

washinterview.jpg

A sentimental and symbolic image showing George Washington courting Martha Custis. Martha is depicted sitting in a chair with her two children playing at her feet. Next to Martha is a larger, but empty, ball and claw leg Chippendale arm chair. Symbolically, the arm chair indicates that this chair is intended only for the "Man of the House." The fact that it is empty communicates to the viewer that Martha is a widow. George is seen standing next to the arm chair, with his hand on top of the back, which visually represents his interest and possible intentions of permanently occupying this chair. Overall, this scene has a classic formality and composition, keeping Washington in his 'heroic' plane even though engaged in the very human activity of courtship

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And this has what to do with Fedora's, Golden Era or Vintage? I'd rather we engage in substantial political dialogue than pretend that any of the above matters in the least! It is our concerns about how a President "looks" and other inconsequential issues that have gotten us into the dire mess this country is now facing.

I submit that this kind of silliness has no place in our Lounge and in fact has no place in any serious discussion about the President of this Republic in broader conversation elsewhere. It is not about how a politician looks but about how he thinks, his principles, his ideals and, in this country his adherence to his sacred oath to our Constitution.

It is not my intention to to be outright offensive to any contributor but more to throw a glass of ice water in the face of those who actually think that that is what matters in the least during this critical era in our history.

For me, I wouldn't care if the President of the United States dressed in rags and wore no socks, if he would only adhere to the Constitution and honor his oath to the letter. For his personal looks, I care not a wit!

Thus spake Dixon Cannon on his 1737th post. :eusa_clap

carter

I'll Lock Up
Dixon, You may not like the content but George and Martha Washington are about as vintage as the 1st Family of the USA can get. [huh]

carter

I'll Lock Up
Dixon Cannon said:
To that, I will agree! And they dressed nice too! lol

Absolutely! I particularly admire the fine tri-corner hat he's holding. It's coordinated with his coat. The man was well put together! :D

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carter said:
Absolutely! I particularly admire the fine tri-corner hat he's holding. It's coordinated with his coat. The man was well put together! :D

Hard to believe a man like that could ever chop a cherry tree! But he did warn against entangling alliances! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24