Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Hippy era tie?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
There were a couple of good guesses based solely on the pic. It is a vintage tie., approx 49 inches long and 3.5" wide.
Here are the labels.
DSC06733.jpg

DSC06732.jpg

I guess it is from the 50s. It reminds me of certain theme ties I've seen in advertisements from that era.
Will you post a picture of yourself wearing that tie with appropriate '50s attire? Whippett or fez on top?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
i can't lay my hands on the thread, but Marc once taught us about ties from the 1920's - some of them were surprisingly psychedelic. I'd push this one back earlier.

Feraud

Bartender
scotrace said:
i can't lay my hands on the thread, but Marc once taught us about ties from the 1920's - some of them were surprisingly psychedelic. I'd push this one back earlier.

I remember. This is why I posted this tie the way I did with so little information. Just trying to keep things interesting..
Call it the Chevalier influence. :)

Feraud

Bartender
Sefton said:
Will you post a picture of yourself wearing that tie with appropriate '50s attire? Whippett or fez on top?
I'll eventually get a pic up of me wearing it. So many ties, so little time..

Good find scotrace! I was wondering where that thread was.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:

That label is a dead give away. When you see enough vintage labels, you just have a sense from the graphics, wording, size, colors etc. That one to me says twenties thirties. Besides, if it ere a fifties tie, it would not be so narrow on top and thicker on bottom, it would be more wide on top or narrow at bottom. Besides that, the fabric and lining are thinner and less substantial, which says not forties or fifties. the close up of the fabric reveals a loose wool weave. I have seen plenty of ties from the thirties like this. fifties ties would be more smooth silk etc.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
I can see maybe wearing it with a 1960s narrow lapel suit and red circular glasses. It could look pleasantly freaky. I cannot see wearing it with a 1930s or 1940s combo, personally (which is the era that I usually affect in my sartorial habits).

Consider this. This tie would have ben worn short, possibly with a vest or double breated suit. a small splash of loud color is very different from a long wide tie that is worn fully exposed.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Michaelshane said:
John Lennon a hippie? Gimmie a break.

Hippie being a generic term for those "under thirty" folks of the swingin' sixties that "tuned in, turned on and dropped out". The actual "Hippie" movement, if there ever was such a thing, took place in San Francisco's Haight Ashbury in the mid-sixties. Beatle George Harrison visited the area in '68 specifically to see what it was all about, only to be disappointed by what he saw. None of the Beatles themselves could really be termed "hippie"; hip yes - hippie no. But, no doubt, every "hippie" would point to the Beatles as the reason for their own embracing of the hippie culture.

In actual fact, the San Francisco bands of the era, most notably "The Grateful Dead" would be considered "Hippie" - Joe McDonald of "the Fish" comes to mind.

Lennon has been widely criticized for his call to "Imagine no possessions", a typical hippie concept, while he himself lived in a million-pound mansion and had a psychedelic Roll Royce in the garage. That is just so un-Hippie-like!

Haversack

One Too Many
reetpleat wrote: "What does java have to do with a sultan?"

Well, don't forget that Java is an island in Indonesia which happens to be the most populous Muslim nation on Earth. And the Sultanate of Brunei is on the island of Borneo, most of which is also part of Indonesia.

Haversack

Plenty of Sultans in that part of the world. I count the Sultan of Johor, Eighth King of Malaysia (they - the sultans of the States - take turns) as a relation, however distant on the Baroness's Grandmother's side.

No-one's going to believe me, but i guessed the age of the tie from the first photo. See the construction on the "thin" end? And the way it appears to splay out to the end of the "thin" end? Both dead give-aways.

DSC06731.jpg

I also believe i have an ad for just this line ties. Let me dig through the Apparel Arts collection and get back to you. but i think this dates from 1934. There was a real vogue for Java Batik at the time. I have a couple, not in such designs, but with similar labels.

Individually coloured in the Javanese manner, indeed. That would be in Manhattan. Was it 23rd street where all the tie manufactories- sweatshops - were located? (I have that info in Apparel Arts somewhere too … more digging) Note that they've put the V in Javanese in a different colour thread. Just so you know it's not Japanese, of whom the US was becoming wary in the 1930s.

bk

Feraud

Bartender
Great info Baron K-! I didn't think it was that old and am glad to learn something new.
It would be great to see the AA ad you are referring to and I can take a better photo of the thin end to clarify what you mean about the construction.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
This thread reminded me of my surprise upon seeing 1920s-30s gangster Dutch Schultz wearing a paisley patterned dress shirt in the mugshot on his wanted poster. Here's the best quality image I could find online; the copy in a book I've got has been digitally upgraded in quality (or is a copy of a first-generation) and the pattern is very visible and not terribly subtle:

dutch-header.jpg

It took me off guard because I've always considered the 20s and 30s very toned-down eras and would never have imagined someone would wear such a shirt without being accused of something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred