Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A horse is a horse?

Edward

Bartender
I don't know, all my Aeros are different. My first Aero was a HWM. I got it from a fellow who bought it from Aero's Used page few years prior to selling it to me, and he didn't know how long's the jackets already been used. Anyway, I've handled few brand new Aero jackets since and not one comes even close to that HWM in the terms of weight and stiffness. Wears like it's made of cardboard. Or suit of armor, yeah. No doubt this jacket's been worn a lot and while the three of us managed to crease the sleeves throughout the years, the rest of that thing just can't get broken in... Leather's a bit thicker too, exactly as my Vanson, but that shouldn't make no difference. I'm constantly on the verge of selling it since it's too large on me but it's really cool having such a beast of a jacket.

I love hefty leather myself. What's this one labelled as? If it's labelled as FQHH, could it have been made during the infamous Storse period?

Sure, why not. Especially if it looked goo, plus even in half a weight, it would still make a hefty jacket.

Absolutely; a great jacket made from quality materials is a great jacket, irrespective of spec...

Me either. Never had any Aero FQHH creak...But many LW HH jackets are so noisy that it can actually be embarrassing.
HD

My very first leather jacket creaked for a while. It was a "Naked Cowhide" Perfecto style. I wish I could remember the label (I don't think I have any photos of it, it was a long time ago when I didn't think so much about these things...). I do remember it said "New York City" on it, but I'm not sure if it was actually made there (most leather jackets you'd see in the sort of place I bought in in those days were made in Pakistan). Sat up on itsown for the first month, smelled wonderful, and creaked a little every time I moved. Damn, I loved that.... I don't think I'd want a jacket doing that now, but as a sixteen year old with my first real leather.... oh, my.

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
I love hefty leather myself. What's this one labelled as? If it's labelled as FQHH, could it have been made during the infamous Storse period?

Edward: Yes, labelled "FQHH." No chance of "Storse;" it was just made (expertly, BTW, by Charley). It is as soft and comfortable (only 3 days out of the box), as an old polar fleece jacket.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
We spoke with Aero this morning and we thought we should post up on this tread...for people who want jackets that will stand up on their own and will be very thick and heavy, please order Aero's CXL Steerhide. Aero's CXL FQHH isn't consistently super thick, but the CXL Steerhide is...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
We spoke with Aero this morning and we thought we should post up on this tread...for people who want jackets that will stand up on their own and will be very thick and heavy, please order Aero's CXL Steerhide. Aero's CXL FQHH isn't consistently super thick, but the CXL Steerhide is...

Love all my Aero's, some moo, some whinny. All shout quality. Most will still stand on their own :p

Says Johnny Tee hoping to inject some humour before this thread gets to serious ;)

Edward, you'd love it, then. It's as hefty and tough as it gets. I have yet to see LW in person but there's no way it's any tougher than this HWM! Here's a crappy photo of it - http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab227/DogLizard/Random/aero5_zps8824f4af.jpg - you can see thatthe jacket is keeping its form despite being years old and worn by who knows how many people.

Anyhow yep, standard FQHH label, car, plane, etc. Yep, I'm often thinking the same thing as the jacket was initially bought during the previous management but then again I always hear how CLX steer is softer and more pliable, even if thicker, while this jacket's stiff as a board. Albeit, reading Carrie's post below, perhaps it could be a mislabeled steer? I don't really care either way, steer or horse, I can't imagine a better jacket.

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
Says Johnny Tee hoping to inject some humour before this thread gets to serious ;)

Whoa Nellie!!! Whoa!!

For clarity, I love this Teamster! Actually, had it been my first jacket, I question whether I would have purchased another (well, perhaps). I was simply wondering how much variation jacket owners have seen in hides, over the years.

Without fan fare, thank you Carrie and Wade, for orchestrating this jacket. Carrie you emailed, "I think you're going to really like your new jacket." That was an understatement. I do!

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Whoa Nellie!!! Whoa!!

For clarity, I love this Teamster! Actually, had it been my first jacket, I question whether I would have purchased another (well, perhaps). I was simply wondering how much variation jacket owners have seen in hides, over the years.

Without fan fare, thank you Carrie and Wade, for orchestrating this jacket. Carrie you emailed, "I think you're going to really like your new jacket." That was an understatement. I do!

Glad you like the new jacket! For a jacket as thick as your first FQHH jacket (it was quite thick!), the CXL Steer is the ticket...we're photographing some of CXL Steer jackets today and we'll post them up!

I hope the new arms are great...I think those are the longest arms we've done!

Edward

Bartender
Edward, you'd love it, then. It's as hefty and tough as it gets. I have yet to see LW in person but there's no way it's any tougher than this HWM! Here's a crappy photo of it - http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab227/DogLizard/Random/aero5_zps8824f4af.jpg - you can see thatthe jacket is keeping its form despite being years old and worn by who knows how many people.

Anyhow yep, standard FQHH label, car, plane, etc. Yep, I'm often thinking the same thing as the jacket was initially bought during the previous management but then again I always hear how CLX steer is softer and more pliable, even if thicker, while this jacket's stiff as a board. Albeit, reading Carrie's post below, perhaps it could be a mislabeled steer? I don't really care either way, steer or horse, I can't imagine a better jacket.

That's the most important thing, all said and done: is it a great jacket.... certainly looks good. If it's just one size too big, I'd be tempted to have a shearling lining installed....

garzo

One of the Regulars
How different in weight, feel, drape, etc., are your FQHH coats?

I've had a few horsehide Aero jackets and yes, they were all quite different. I currently have three FQHH jackets: a brown FQHH Bootlegger, a Vintage FQHH Highwayman and a Happy Days jacket in what I believe to be either a Vintage Cordovan FQHH or an Oil Pull Cordovan FQHH (if that even exists).

They are all very different. You'd expect the Vintage FQHH leather to be more pliable and worn in, but my Highwayman, although more rugged in appearance, feels stiffer and heavier than my Bootlegger, which is a regular finish brown FQHH. The Happy Days jacket is very different. It is a cold jacket. It's doesn't seem to warm me. The leather is so full of oil or wax that it's the perfect rain jacket -- it will never soak up water -- but also doesn't warm like the others do. I should add that the Highwayman and Bootlegger both have wool tartan linings, while the Happy Days jacket has just black cotton.

The leather on the Happy Days feels very different, much more waxy and oily than the others. Not in a bad way -- like a waxed cotton jacket almost, which is why I'm led to believe it's not actually a Vintage FQHH but rather an Oil Pull FQHH -- because it just seems to me to be stuffed with oil and wax. At the same time it also looks quite beat up and rugged, which is why I'm not sure whether it's Vintage or Oil Pull. I bought it in a store in Berlin and the shop owner was also confused and not sure whether it was Oil Pull or Vintage. I like them all and all three leathers have unique scents and texture.

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
33 inches..?? Surely not measured from the shoulder to end of cuff...:eeek:
HD

Actually, yes, H.D. Thirty three (33) inches from shoulder to end of cuff. I am looking for a final "post creasing" length of 32. The Maxwell I posted, had sleeves ..... 31. They "creased" to 30. Something about my arms. Obviously, it is never "off the rack" for me. :sad:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
You must have pavement burns on you knuckles as they drag along the ground. :D I thought my need for just a bit over 27" was extreme.

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
You must have pavement burns on you knuckles as they drag along the ground. :D I thought my need for just a bit over 27" was extreme.

Fanch: I believe it is something about "being on the rack," rather than "off the rack." Amazing how arms can stretch. BTW: what is you experience with Aero FQHH, I believe you once posted your Teamster was a 3 oz weight.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?71120-New-teamster-Perfect&highlight

With your plethora of jackets, have you noticed a difference in the "weight" of FQHH?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff