Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A horse is a horse?

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
A question for those with multiple Aero FQHH jackets; how different are the hides? I just received my FQHH Teamster: lovely; outstanding craftsmanship; precise to my unique measurements. However, when comparing it to my FQHH Maxwell, well, they seem like horses of a different color. The Maxwell's hide is dense and almost rubbery, very little "drape" and weighing in at almost 7.5 lbs. The Teamster (a longer coat, in body and sleeve length), is actually 6.75 (or so) lbs., drapes and creases, does not have that "suit of armor" feel to it, and flexes easily. The Teamster should well outweigh the Maxwell.

Yes, clearly the heroic equine who now graces me in the form of a Maxwell, lived quite a different life than the noble beast who created the Teamster. That said, do you multi-jacket owners notice the same? How different in weight, feel, drape, etc., are your FQHH coats?

schitzo

Suspended
A question for those with multiple Aero FQHH jackets; how different are the hides? I just received my FQHH Teamster: lovely; outstanding craftsmanship; precise to my unique measurements. However, when comparing it to my FQHH Maxwell, well, they seem like horses of a different color. The Maxwell's hide is dense and almost rubbery, very little "drape" and weighing in at almost 7.5 lbs. The Teamster (a longer coat, in body and sleeve length), is actually 6.75 (or so) lbs., drapes and creases, does not have that "suit of armor" feel to it, and flexes easily. The Teamster should well outweigh the Maxwell.

Yes, clearly the heroic equine who now graces me in the form of a Maxwell, lived quite a different life than the noble beast who created the Teamster. That said, do you multi-jacket owners notice the same? How different in weight, feel, drape, etc., are your FQHH coats?

For me 'drape' is not a word I associate with Horween FQHH. But as with any natural product of course there are variations, though yours sounds quite extreme. In my experience, and I've probably been through close to ten aeros in heavy HH, I have found that the best kind of CXL FQHH - if you get lucky - is the thinnest lightest kind. That's what I got for my original hercules and it looks immense - beautiful grain all over - and performs better, in that it didn't need breaking in and is comfortable on my back whilst steel feeling substantial. A shame it can't all be like that. That one was a re-make after it was originally mistakenly made up in vintage FQHH and on the order instructions, that I received with the jacket, someone had written 'nicest skins available' which clearly worked out very well as this is without doubt the best Horween FQHH I have handled

So in conclusion, buy 10 jackets and with at least one you'll get lucky, probably

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Variations between jackets are often caused by how the leather was cut and treated - each batch is different. Weight and feel vary even with the one piece of hide. One jacket isn't always made from the same animal. If a particular panel appears thinner or thicker, they will rummage through the hides to find batches that match.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have often wondered if hides differ depending on how animal the has been treated during its life. Would a jacket be more supple if made from famous race horses rather than a working animal, though to be honest no one sticks a shire horse in front of a wagon or plough these days.
Do you think this is a bit too tongue in cheek! Well I would not take it to seriously, but seriously, it has been said that Brigitte Bardot had the skin of a 70 year old when she was 50 from too much sun exposure. Does the same apply to animals? Also a kindly owner who only does the best for their horse or whatever animal, will it's whole being be in a better condition for living a better life? How would a Front Quarter Highwayman feel if made from Black Beauty compared to a plough pulling Suffolk Punch?
I think I now want my next jacket sourced from free running New Forest ponies, no barbed wire and all that gorgeous heath land to graze on. Whats the lead time on that one Ken!
;)

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Strangely enough I feel the FQHH on my Teamster is a little lighter in weight than the FQHH on my cafe racer. Perhaps they generally try and use lighter leather for the longer jackets to keep the weight down a little?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
My Teamster is heavier than my Highwayman, Im not going to weigh it but it feels heavier.
Maybe my jackets have been made with horses with tough personalities as I guess they are pretty thick skinned:p

pipvh

Practically Family
It should depend on the tanning and how much they split off the leather - this process was explained to me by a local tanner the other day.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if the construction of the bi-swing adds to the weight of a jacket too - the extra folds etc. My LHB is by far the heaviest of my jackets but is roughly same length as my Board Racer.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
It should depend on the tanning and how much they split off the leather - this process was explained to me by a local tanner the other day.

I could go along with that. Everyone expects Front Quarter Horse to be tough and bullet proof but just how thin can you split a hide? I have a real leather mobile phone case that is some unknown material with just a paper thin leather covering.
So if the skin was split to, lets say 1mm thick, would it still be classed as Front Quarter? I guess it would as it comes from the same part of the animal.
Now here is the big question. If it was split and only weighed half as much, would you still buy it?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if the construction of the bi-swing adds to the weight of a jacket too - the extra folds etc. My LHB is by far the heaviest of my jackets but is roughly same length as my Board Racer.

Interesting you say that... My Aero LHB is by far the heaviest and stiffest garment I have. Almost 2 years of use and it STILL sits up on it's own. Amazing...

Worf

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Mine's is nicely broken in, I looked it out last night and the colour grading is fantastic, but if I hand it over to somebody to put away at a restaurant or whatever, they always stagger slightly under the weight of it.

Edward

Bartender
Leather is, of course, organic, and thus prone to a certain level of variation by its very nature. So for horses, cows, steer, sheep, goats, and likely human if you skinned and tanned us.

Stands to reason that the more leather, the more weight...

The tanning process will definitely make the feel/ hand of the hide vary too, though I'd be surprised if it affected weight, of course.

Mine's is nicely broken in, I looked it out last night and the colour grading is fantastic, but if I hand it over to somebody to put away at a restaurant or whatever, they always stagger slightly under the weight of it.

I imagine this is the result of contemporary fashion... I suppose more of these folks are used to lambskin fashion leather than anything else... Always amuses me too. :)

I don't know, all my Aeros are different. My first Aero was a HWM. I got it from a fellow who bought it from Aero's Used page few years prior to selling it to me, and he didn't know how long's the jackets already been used. Anyway, I've handled few brand new Aero jackets since and not one comes even close to that HWM in the terms of weight and stiffness. Wears like it's made of cardboard. Or suit of armor, yeah. No doubt this jacket's been worn a lot and while the three of us managed to crease the sleeves throughout the years, the rest of that thing just can't get broken in... Leather's a bit thicker too, exactly as my Vanson, but that shouldn't make no difference. I'm constantly on the verge of selling it since it's too large on me but it's really cool having such a beast of a jacket.

Year later I've bought a somewhat older Aero Police jacket (not CHIPs) and leather on that one's even more stiff, albeit not as thick and heavy! Different, too. Drier, folds differently... I'm not wearing that one much.

Anyway, they're all different but from what I know, the new ones aren't nearly as stiff as those older jackets that I have.

Now here is the big question. If it was split and only weighed half as much, would you still buy it?

Sure, why not. Especially if it looked goo, plus even in half a weight, it would still make a hefty jacket.

pak

One of the Regulars
As much as I like the look of many of the HH jackets any leather jacket over 2.5-3lbs and I take a pass. Most likely due to the amount of clothes I need to stay warm working in the Arctic.

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
For me 'drape' is not a word I associate with Horween FQHH. But as with any natural product of course there are variations, though yours sounds quite extreme. In my experience, and I've probably been through close to ten aeros in heavy HH, I have found that the best kind of CXL FQHH - if you get lucky - is the thinnest lightest kind.

Schitzo; my point exactly. I would hardly describe my Maxwell's FQHH as having any "drape." The Teamster's FQHH, however, acts very similar to cloth, folding and creasing very smoothly and seemingly without any need to "break it in," other than for a more weathered appearance.

I have often wondered if hides differ depending on how animal the has been treated during its life.
I think I now want my next jacket sourced from free running New Forest ponies, no barbed wire and all that gorgeous heath land to graze on. ;)

Rocketeer; if New Forest ponies will produce the hardy feel of my Maxwell; then dam the barbed wire!

Sloan; that is what I anticipated; more leather (bi-swing), longer length, longer arms = heavier. Not in this case. Could this be the grail "thinnest" Schitzo is talking about?

I don't know, all my Aeros are different. My first Aero was a HWM. Anyway, I've handled few brand new Aero jackets since and not one comes even close to that HWM in the terms of weight and stiffness. Wears like it's made of cardboard. Or suit of armor, yeah. No doubt this jacket's been worn a lot and while the three of us managed to crease the sleeves throughout the years, the rest of that thing just can't get broken in... .

Monitor; exactly my experience. The Maxwell wears like rubberized cardboard (armor). It took at least a week of wetting and fiddling with the button holes to get it buttoned. This Teamster, buttoned right up, just like a suit jacket.

My Aero LHB is by far the heaviest and stiffest garment I have. Almost 2 years of use and it STILL sits up on it's own. Amazing...
Worf

Worf; I understand, toss the Maxwell on the floor, and dammed if it is not sitting up. My wife refuses to move it (something about too heavy). Toss the Teamster on the floor, and it slouches over.

So, could this Teamster be a different weight (mid-weight)? How would I know?

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
One thing I forgot to mention; the Teamster does not creak, squeak or make any noise. Wearing the Maxwell, you can hear me coming down the hall, creaking with every movement. The Teamster is silent. :confused2::confused:

Odd, never had an Aero that made any noise whatsoever. Actually, all the top players seem to be silent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy