Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a lapel cord

Achille

Familiar Face
Hello,
My new Akubra Fedora has a "lapel cord".
Could somebody explain me how it works ?????
pictures ?

Thanks a lot

JM

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think you put the long end with the button through your lapel buttonhole. Edited to reflect Yachtie's more succinct and accurate post below.

dean

yachtie

New in Town
Un-do the loop anound the crown and put the button in your suit lapel buttonhole. If the hat blows off, it's restrained by the cord. Very useful in "the Windy City". ;) the other end of the cord on mine is sewn to the band.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Also known as a wind trolley..

I use the one on my Borsalino because it is a tad loose when I get a haircut. It usually is usually looped through the button hole of a suit lapel, but if you are not wearing a suit you could pass it through the button hole of the shirt placket or the button hole of the pocket. It may appear a bit tackey to do it this way, but it will keep your lid from tumbleweeding down the street on a windy day.

Cheers!

Dan

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
If you're not wearing a jacket, and the button of the trolley is too large for a shirt button hole, then you can push a loop of the elastic through the shirt button hole (from the inside), bring it back round (to the inside again), and slip the loop created over the button. When pulled tight that should be nice and secure.

I've added a wind trolley to my panama (and will be adding one to my new panama) after having to rescue it from a tree last summer.

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Has anyone ever used the cord?

I wore a brand new hat to the top of the Sydney Harbor Bridge one windy afternoon. You better believe I had that cord fastened.

Most colorful incident: while in Carlisle, England one windy day a gust from behind blew my fedora off in front of me. I watched as it reached the end of the elastic, then took a buttonhook turn to the left, coming back to neatly garrot the two strangers walking abreast and to my immediate left.

Apologies all around, and we all went on our way.

They work well, but you have to remember to use them. I've modified all of mine to attach to the inside of the hat, allowing the cord to fall down behind my ear.

Greg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Shanghailander said:
Most colorful incident: while in Carlisle, England one windy day a gust from behind blew my fedora off in front of me. I watched as it reached the end of the elastic, then took a buttonhook turn to the left, coming back to neatly garrot the two strangers walking abreast and to my immediate left.

Apologies all around, and we all went on our way.

Greg

Greg: That was great! I got a perfect visual on that one.lol lol

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24