Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Loose Affiliation of Ribbons Niether Wide nor Thin

I'm in love with the mid-ribbons.

I am relatively new to fedoras and this wonderful forum. And I only recently discovered this thread. The magnificent hats in this thread have gotten into my blood. I think I've come back to it 3-4 times this weekend to view the hats. Seeing all these helped me figure out what I like and don't like. I have absolutely fallen in love with the mid-ribbons. My "hats off" and gratitude to everyone for sharing their beautiful hats. :eusa_clap

Like a Stetson Wanderer...

Recently acquired Resistol...
reswan1.jpg

reswan2.jpg

Stan

A-List Customer
Mostly Observation

Bluegrass said:
Stan, I'm impressed. How did you learn to change out ribbons? I wouldn't know where to start.

Hi,

Ah. It's way too easy. I took a few old hats apart and paid attention to how they'd originally done it. Mostly.

I had one issue, well two actually, after looking at what was originally done.

One was how to get the ribbon into a curve like that. It turns out you use an iron and curl/swirl it into that curve. You need hatband ribbon, though, as it's a mix of cotton and rayon and that's the secret that allows the iron's heat to curl it - dissimilar materials.

The other issue is where to get the proper ribbon. For both issues, I have a friend in that's hatter and gives me the little clues when I need them. Oh, and all the hatters are ribbon junkies, just ask any of them! So, getting a few rolls here and there wasn't too difficult. :eusa_clap

The sewing isn't too hard, although I do need to buy some thinner thread than the standard stuff I've been using. Well, it's one thing at a time. I'm learning as I go here.

Dealing with a sweatband is a little tougher, but again, paying attention to how it was originally done gave me 90% of the knowledge. The part I missed was that one bastes it in first, then turns it out to sew the reed tape. The first one I did was really bad as I didn't know that trick. I tried to hold it in place and sew the reed tape all at the same time. Once I asked, I got the clue I was missing and it's a whole lot better now! lol

It's still a lot of time sitting there sewing a manual lockstitch, though. I can see why the professional hatters spend all that money for special sewing machines to do that job. At least I figured out how to use an old zig-zag home sewing machine to sew the sweatband seam and also to put on edge binding.

Anyway, my secret is to just pay close attention to what was done on the vintage hats when I have to take them apart to try fixing them. The rest is making mistakes and then asking what went wrong and then trying again! :eusa_doh:

later!

Stan

Stan

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
Recently acquired Resistol...
reswan1.jpg

reswan2.jpg

Hi,

Mmmmm. Another sweet one. The more I mess with these hats, the more I like the mid-range ribbon width, especially the 9 and 12 ligne widths.

It's too bad I hadn't planned on this get-together. It would have been worthwhile, I think. Oh, well, maybe the next one.

later!

Stan

buler

I'll Lock Up
Seafoam Stetson

Here is a great mid-ribbon Stetson in seafoam green/blue. I could not get the color to turn out in the pics. But its closest to the first shot. Whopper of a 5/8 Long Oval. No model name to be found.

B

seafoam3.jpg

seafoam1.jpg

seafoam4.jpg

seafoam8.jpg

seafoam7.jpg

seafoam6.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Royal Stetson 6 cord

This Royal Stetson has a nice 6-cord ribbon thats just wide enough to qualify for this thread instead of the thin ribbon thread (I think). Plus this thread needed a bump.

B

royal6cord_2.jpg

royal6cord_3.jpg

royal6cord_4.jpg

royal6cord_5.jpg

royal6cord_6.jpg

royal6cord_7.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Very nice. :eusa_clap

It's the same width as the one I posted to start the thread, and we are a loose affiliation with absolutely no rules, so I think you'll be OK. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara