Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a moonshiners hat

undertaker

Practically Family
ClayBob said:
Yes, Zig I am sure many a gallon was consumed by both sides during that period. Thanks for the link looks interesting.

I say, I say,... I seem to remember that many of our Southern Generals were T Totalers and didn't allow much to be consumed. However there were, undoubtedly, many things that went on that they didn't approve of;) .

Regards,
J.S.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
undertaker said:
I say, I say,... I seem to remember that many of our Southern Generals were T Totalers and didn't allow much to be consumed.

Ok, I'll concede that.

US-Grant-2.gif

Chalk up one for U. S. Grant!
:D

deanglen

This hat apparently covered William T.'s head. Could a stray bullet have caused the damage? What the heck, it looks like a dandified moonshiner's hat!

shermanhat.jpg

dean

RBH

Bartender
Remember the episode of The Beverly Hillbillies where Granny thinks General Grant is getting ready to attack the Culpepper Plantation.

Jed thinks Granny has been into the shine..

Granny: General Ulysses S. Grant is alive and plannin’ to attack the Culpeppers’ plantation at dawn on Monday! (gets her jug)
Jed: I think you had enough of that.
Granny: Don’t knock it Jed. You oughtta see what it’s done fer Grant.

(Granny looks through the door and sees Ulysses S. Grant)
Granny: It can’t be Ulysses S. Grant! He couldn’t live this long, especially the way he hit the bottle.
Grant: I’m so dizzy I’ll never be able to get on that horse.
Granny: It’s him!

Undertow

Prairie Shade said:
If you stumble across a still while wandering in the woods, throw a stick in the fire and you wont get shot. You'll be an accomplice. I doubt if Jamespowers will ever do this tho.

Haha, I really liked that. Now there is some useful information! I'll be on the lookout. :p

undertaker

Practically Family
RBH said:
Remember the episode of The Beverly Hillbillies where Granny thinks General Grant is getting ready to attack the Culpepper Plantation.

Jed thinks Granny has been into the shine..

Granny: General Ulysses S. Grant is alive and plannin’ to attack the Culpeppers’ plantation at dawn on Monday! (gets her jug)
Jed: I think you had enough of that.
Granny: Don’t knock it Jed. You oughtta see what it’s done fer Grant.

(Granny looks through the door and sees Ulysses S. Grant)
Granny: It can’t be Ulysses S. Grant! He couldn’t live this long, especially the way he hit the bottle.
Grant: I’m so dizzy I’ll never be able to get on that horse.
Granny: It’s him!

I seem to remember an episode where Granny said that Lee didn't surrender to Grant but rather had heard that Grant was sword smith an gave him his sword to be sharpened.

Regards,
J.S.

akaBruno

Suspended
deanglen said:
I'm surprised anyone is "still" making moonshine, in the present time, ethanol would be more profitable.

dean

I think most of NASCAR started out running shine. I think that they just added a little shine to their tanks to out run them revunewers. :D

BRUNO

akaBruno said:
I think most of NASCAR started out running shine. I think that they just added a little shine to their tanks to out run them revunewers. :D

BRUNO

Quite right. NASCAR started out as a bunch of car racers racing on Saturday night and running shine the rest of the week.
Think about the legendary Junior Johnson. He was a perfect example. The man could make a car do just about anything. That was learned from losing revenuers like feathers off a chicken.
He may have retired in 1966 but he was a major NASCAR racing team owner after that for over a decade.
What does he do now? Fried Pork Skins and Country Ham anyone? ;) :p Shine made Junior very rich and continues to do so. :D

Regards,

J

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Quite right. NASCAR started out as a bunch of car racers racing on Saturday night and running shine the rest of the week.
Think about the legendary Junior Johnson. He was a perfect example. The man could make a car do just about anything. That was learned from losing revenuers like feathers off a chicken.
He may have retired in 1966 but he was a major NASCAR racing team owner after that for over a decade.
What does he do now? Fried Pork Skins and Country Ham anyone? ;) :p Shine made Junior very rich and continues to do so. :D

Regards,

J

This too. lol

http://www.thatsracin.com/119/story/4332.html

J.S.Udontknowme said:

Yep, shine has been good to Ol' Junior. :p
This quote backs that up:
“I am really proud to own part of this company,” Johnson said. “I’ve done a lot of things in my life, and my history in the moonshine business is no secret. Back in the old days, we learned to drive cars fast because we’d go to jail if we didn’t. Now, you can buy part of a moonshine business, tell everybody where they can buy your product, and it’s all legal. It’s a different deal than it was back then. I’m looking forward to being a part of this company.”

Regards,

J

mingoslim

Practically Family
Zig2k143 said:
Lol.... yea... I can never figure out why some of the south still holds the civil war against us fine people from the north. :)

I take it that you are referring to the war of northern aggression?

My Grandfar and his Pappy both ran 'shine in the 10s and 20s . . . They also made some fine corn-whiskey for personal use into the 1950s.

Story has it that my great grand-dad was caught in the middle of the Big Sandy River with a run of 'shine during prohibition . . . he was town sheriff at the time.

He did a year in stir, and upon returning home, he was re-elected sheriff.

The last three quarts from Grandfar's personal pantry came to me when he passed some 10 years ago, and are still in my possession (though I do imbibe on special occassions). Smooth . . . nicely aged . . . nearly 80 years old . . .

Ya'll Come back now, y'hear. :)

Zig2k143

Practically Family
mingoslim said:
I take it that you are referring to the war of northern aggression?

Yes us people from the north are damn aggressive. :) Which isn't always a bad thing or we might be under British rule right now. :)

mingoslim

Practically Family
Zig2k143 said:
Yes us people from the north are damn aggressive. :) Which isn't always a bad thing or we might be under British rule right now. :)

I hate to disabuse you . . . but I am pretty sure it was a southern boy by the name of Washington who led you Yankees in 1776.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
mingoslim said:
I hate to disabuse you . . . but I am pretty sure it was a southern boy by the name of Washington who led you Yankees in 1776.

Lol that must mean that you guys are damn aggessive too. :)

I thought Clyde King lead the Yankees in 1776... oh wait that was 1976 my bad. ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Whisky rebellion

Forget the uuhhh. . . . err . . . . ..War Between the States. Whisky has been the source of anti establishment behavior from the get go. The Whisky Rebellion of 1791 was the first challenge to the authority of the new Federal Government. Washington led an army of 13,000 into western Pennsylvania. No serious fighting ensued, but the Feds made their point.

Many years ago I heard a wonderful show on NPR called "Real Scotch Malt", about the (legal) production od Scotch whisky. They said that traditionally the employees at the stills would get one ounce per day of the non-aged, clear, whisky. This practice was discontinued, however, because too many employees were going blind. Potent stuff, whisky! To be respected!

funneman

Practically Family
I've seen more than a few...

..moonshine stills as a kid.

Most were already destroyed by the government.

My uncle stumbled up on one that was active near Helen, Georgia.

He took off as fast as he could run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters