Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a moonshiners hat

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Lol.... yea... I can never figure out why some of the south still holds the civil war against us fine people from the north. :)

I enjoy so much about the south... Half my family moved from Sicily to New York the other half to Baton Rouge, La.

Give me some good old fashion BBQ or a nice Crawfish Boil. :)

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
RBH said:
Hey Bud, I have had some 'gotten' by someone in the know. I am not a whiskey drinker... but boy was that stuff smooth!
:D

That is what my father in law says about it. "smooth as silk" was the description. He warns that you have to go slow, as it is so smooth, that it will get ya before ya know it.

undertaker

Practically Family
Rick Blaine said:
:D & we'll knock down a few.
When the nearby city of Oak Ridge Tn. was built, whole hog, as part of the Manhattan Project, on previously "uninhabited" land more than twenty hastily abandoned stills were found!
:D

I reckon you city fellers can't keep noth'n secret.

I think this movie may hit to close to home for us Tennesseans. As understand my grandfather participated in the practice, never struck it rich though, he drank up all the profits. At almost 70 he didn't even need gasses..... he still drank strait from the jug:eek: .

Regards
J.S.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Lol even in the city they ran moonshine... My grandfather used to do it ages ago in New York City. Although I have no good stories to share about it.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh I don't know, there have been a few times I've noticed IMDB has lacked info on a particular movie.

Prairie, thanks for the recipe. In Iowa, we have tons of corn. Now if I could just build a still...

RBH

Bartender
undertaker said:
I reckon you city fellers can't keep noth'n secret. ..... he still drank strait from the jug:eek: .

Regards
J.S.

Undertaker, thats the best way to drink it!!!!

Zig2k143 said:
Lol even in the city they ran moonshine... My grandfather used to do it ages ago in New York City. Although I have no good stories to share about it.

I bet there is more out there than you know!
There are still some of my family that want to know ''how did you know grand daddy made moonshine?''
Keep checking, moonshining was more common than folks want to think. And I mean in all parts of the country.

Undertow said:
... In Iowa, we have tons of corn. Now if I could just build a still...

I dont know about that Undertow! You may have more 'family' than you care about come to visit!

deanglen

Zig2k143 said:
Lol.... yea... I can never figure out why some of the south still holds the civil war against us fine people from the north. :)

WTsherman.jpg

dean

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Well there are a lot of stories behind that March a lot of them are just stories... I saw a two hour show on the History channel it was very interesting...

I'm not saying that he was an angel.. Quite frankly he was a madman... But he was a huge part of wining the war.

Rick Blaine

Far more complex than we're led to think...

:eek:fftopic: One of Knoxville's papers during the recent unpleasantness (The War of the Northern Aggression) was called "The Knoxville Whig & Rebel Ventilator".
brownlowswhig.jpg

Knoxville had strong industrial ties to the north. The mountain South in general had very little part in, or sympathy for, the coastal & delta Plantation economy that relied upon slavery.

RBH

Bartender
But the thing is us Southerners and NAWTHERNERS can still share a little sweet tea or take a nip of a little 'Tennessesse Tea' and still compliment each other on our fine fedoras!!
Truth be told... it dont get no better than that!

Zig2k143

Practically Family
I agree we should all just get along. :)

RBH said:
But the thing is us Southerners and NAWTHERNERS can still share a little sweet tea or take a nip of a little 'Tennessesse Tea' and still compliment each other on our fine fedoras!!
Truth be told... it dont get no better than that!

ClayBob

New in Town
Welll, my Grandfather's family was famous for making good shine back in the days of prohibition. My Grandfather told me many many stories about those times. He talked about how one of them would climb a tree and act as a lookout while the others tended the still and about the time a still exploded and scolded him terribly. He had the scars to prove it :). I once asked if he would teach me how to make corn whiskey and he said he would when I was old enough to legally drink it. Alas he died when I was 15 ending that opportunity. Moonshine made right is smooth and POWERFUL. I have seriously considered purchasing the equipment and running off a little for myself when I get more time.

As far as the War of Northern Agression, just this year Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, LA announced that it planned to name a hall at the University after W.T. Sherman (he was actually one of the founders of LSU). Public opinion was so negative against it that they decided to call it something else. I don't think his memory has improved much in Dixie in the last 142 years :) .

That movie looks interesting though.

ClayBob

New in Town
Yes, Zig I am sure many a gallon was consumed by both sides during that period. Thanks for the link looks interesting.

BTW do you ever make it down to Louisiana to get in touch with your Southern roots;) ?

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Yes I love Louisiana... I haven't been in a few years... But I could be tempted if there was a Lounge party going on. :)

ClayBob said:
Yes, Zig I am sure many a gallon was consumed by both sides during that period. Thanks for the link looks interesting.

BTW do you ever make it down to Louisiana to get in touch with your Southern roots;) ?

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
A Little Advice

If you stumble across a still while wandering in the woods, throw a stick in the fire and you wont get shot. You'll be an accomplice. I doubt if Jamespowers will ever do this tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran