Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Myth Debunked

Pompidou

One Too Many
If I was wearing a hat to keep my head warm, I'd wear a wooly pulldown. I'm wearing a hat to look cool and attention-grabbing, so I'm inclined to believe this article but not mind one bit. Anyone who says, "What? My head won't be that much warmer without my 300.00 fedora? Well, screw that..." was probably dumb for buying one, right? I don't think anyone wears them because they're warm. We wear them because we look very cool wearing them - like the best of the 1920s, but with iPhones and other cool gadgets. It's a win/win. I was shivering tonight walking to my truck - hat didn't do a bit of good. Looks great though, and that's what counts. I'm still freezing. I need a coffee.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
For me, in the cold weather it keeps my head warmer. It also looks fantastic, keeps the elements off of my head & neck & the sun out of my eyes. It is the best multi purpose tool ever.

Cheers!

Dan

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I was wearing a hat to keep my head warm, I'd wear a wooly pulldown. I'm wearing a hat to look cool and attention-grabbing, so I'm inclined to believe this article but not mind one bit. Anyone who says, "What? My head won't be that much warmer without my 300.00 fedora? Well, screw that..." was probably dumb for buying one, right? I don't think anyone wears them because they're warm. We wear them because we look very cool wearing them - like the best of the 1920s, but with iPhones and other cool gadgets. It's a win/win. I was shivering tonight walking to my truck - hat didn't do a bit of good. Looks great though, and that's what counts. I'm still freezing. I need a coffee.

Right.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

I wear my fedoras because I like the way I look in them and they keep my head warm when the temperature is cold. And when its warm, they keep the sun off my follically challenged pate and out of my eyes. 'Looking cool' ranks considerably less.

You can like the way you look in something without needing the 'cool' adjective, although vice versa is not necessarily so.

If 'cool' is in the eye of the beholder, all beholders are not held in the same regard. Many people are concerned primarily with how others perceive their 'coolness' and put themselves together accordingly. And then there are other people who are primarily concerned with how their own self thinks they look. Both can be issues of 'cool,' but there is a considerable difference betwen the two.

Last edited:

CharlieB

A-List Customer
You got it scottyrocks. I wear a hat (also follically challenged) to kepe my head
1. warm
2. dry
3. shaded

Now as to the fedora, that is where preference comes in!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
You got it scottyrocks. I wear a hat (also follically challenged) to kepe my head
1. warm
2. dry
3. shaded

Now as to the fedora, that is where preference comes in!

Exactly. Although necessity is a big reason I wear hats, I have always worn hats, even when no one in my group(s) did, and I took a lot of ribbing for it, especially as a kid. Now that I need a head covering, and I am predisposed to hats anyway, I wear what I love.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Exactly. Although necessity is a big reason I wear hats, I have always worn hats, even when no one in my group(s) did, and I took a lot of ribbing for it, especially as a kid. Now that I need a head covering, and I am predisposed to hats anyway, I wear what I love.

At least now, we have a good excuse! ;)

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Full head of hair, here. Won't likely ever lose it as no one on either side of my family is (or was) balding. I don't wear a hat for "covering" I wear them because these days they are distinctive and I like them.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
To debunk a myth the soi disant experts should be required to understand or at least define it. The "myth" as I (and I submit any person of at least ordinary perception and experience) have always understood it is not that a naked person would lose a disproportionate amount of heat via the noggin (an absurdity on its face that needs no study to refute); but rather that, in the case of an otherwise suitably clothed person, a great deal of heat is lost through the head if proper head gear is not employed, a palpable and obvious fact. Did the experts think the data they "debunked" was perhaps based on cold weather survival studies of people dressed in bathing suits?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I once heard that when Napoleon's defeated army was straggling back from Russia (when 90% of the original 400,000 men never came back), that it was the bald ones who died first.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I feel warmer with a hat on, thats good enough for me.
Me too.....

Also if you wear a scarf around your neck you will feel warmer.

Hey what about if that is true, then why wear gloves.... no heat loss there....

Any part of the skin that is open to the elements has to lose heat IMHO..

I mean Strip down naked and see if you don't feel colder... ahhhh errrrr ummmmm wait a minute, I am getting a lot of horrible mental visions..........

Ok strike that last comment:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart