Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Myth Debunked

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I never cared about he "percentage" of heat lost, it is lost. I always am warmer and more comfortable with a hat. Cold days, rain, the good quality fedora will make you happy, warm and dry.

In the summer, a nice straw hat to protect me from the sun is mandatory. I have been out in summer (hot) w/o a hat for a short time, and it is unbearable. I have to wear a straw hat during the spring and summer.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I wear my hats to serve practical purposes, as well as that of providing some style. Sun protection is in fact, a large part of why I got into hats, as I felt the baseball cap didn't cut it functionally or appearance-wise. Whether or not modern science is on to something with regard to the "myth" of our topic, I would rather not end up like this on a hot day out for a long while:

goodbad-ugly.jpg

A hat, as well as plenty of water, will keep you alive and well.

:arated:
I never cared about he "percentage" of heat lost, it is lost. I always am warmer and more comfortable with a hat. Cold days, rain, the good quality fedora will make you happy, warm and dry...

I swear I have less sinus issues since wearing hats regularly over the last 10 years as opposed to the 40 so years before that....

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
You should still dress warmly in cold weather. I personally dress pretty warm at winter. Thick wool coat, leather gloves, ushanka, winter boots...

What's up with people wearing no coat and hat at winter anyway? I see people like that even when the temperature is -20 celsius...

CharlieB

A-List Customer
You should still dress warmly in cold weather. I personally dress pretty warm at winter. Thick wool coat, leather gloves, ushanka, winter boots...

What's up with people wearing no coat and hat at winter anyway? I see people like that even when the temperature is -20 celsius...

Not only no coat or hat, but in shorts and tee-shirts!

Not only no coat or hat, but in shorts and tee-shirts!

I go by school bus stops on my way to work & see kids in coats & jeans wearing flip-flops/slaps/thongs/whatever you call them...
I just don't get that. The LAST thing I want getting cold is my toes & feet!!!

I have Scouts in my troop that wear shorts year-round. Granted they go below their knees & they have wool socks & hiking boots or Merrells below.
Kids today...

msm007

One of the Regulars
I read that the ears, not the head are the major loss of heat. Like an elephant uses its ears to stay cool. Hats all the way.

scooter

Practically Family
Well, gents, I am a veteran of the Marine Corps cold weather battalion where we ALL wore our hair short enough to be considered "follically challenged". We served in Korean winters and north of the Artic circle and NONE of us EVER went without a hat! I'm pretty sure it was for good reason! Most wore head covering inside their mummy bags at night. Fedoras serve a good purpose, they just do so with panache.

Last edited:

Raider

One of the Regulars
Watching the Bears play today....Brian Urlacher had steam coming off of his head every time he took his helmet off....I'd say that screams HEAT LOSS!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Watching the Bears play today....Brian Urlacher had steam coming off of his head every time he took his helmet off....I'd say that screams HEAT LOSS!

Hear, hear! It may be described as a myth, but field experience shows it to be truth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart