Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A peek inside the seduction community.

Foofoogal

Banned
I do think it is either in the genes or maybe learned behavior. I have 8 brothers and at least 26 or more nephews (haven't counted lately)
Always being around lots and lots of guys I can spot a good and bad man a mile away and sort of even think like them.
One thing my male family members have never had a problem with is getting women.
I call it the Fonzie syndrome. No kidding. Looks play a part I am sure but confidence is much more important. Maybe being around alot of testesterone just gives them no hint of not knowing they are men and this comes across.
Not stuck up, not arrogant, very outgoing and most of them are very funny.

Johnny B

Familiar Face
Pickup artists are hilarious. They're almost always some idiot moron who mistakes their bravado for confidence and they have this entire language devoted to talking about how they didn't get laid:

"yeah i was sargin an hb7 and during the dinner i Used a few really good DHV stories i had and ran the Mnemonics game on her, and negged her by calling her evil, calling her a heart breaker, ect..... She reacted fairly well by sending constant IOIs of laughing and trying to tell me shes a nice person"

When you get down to it it's basically playing the law of averages: after the first couple dozen reject you for being an idiot you're bound to find one that doesn't

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
Let me tell you about my best guy friend, one of the most popular guys I've ever met. He has a full social calendar and sometimes girls young enough to be his granddaughter want to date him, although he doesn't want to have a romantic relationship with anyone. No, he's not independently wealthy or particularly good looking or even tall.

His name is Joe. He's friendly, outgoing, and confident. He gives you his full attention when he talks to you or dances with you. He dances with newbies and doesn't hesitate to introduce himself. Basically, Joe has a positive attitude, a great interest in people and respect for women in particular. He doesn't look to take anything or make anyone feel inferior. And no, I don't think Joe ever read a book on how to pick up women.

Well yeah, that is just it. Of course there are "naturals" often they had a lucky first experiece and confidance builds on itself. Bully for them. But just because someone is not so lucky to be one of them, I see no reason why they should resign themselves to dissapointment and lonliness.

People attempting to learn these skills are merely trying to learn what comes naturally to others. I really don't understand why some people see so negatively, the idea that a man might want to learn to be more of what a woman wants.

Yes, some of them come from the wrong angle, but many of these gurus have become quite succesful at being and teaching men to be desirable to women. No tricks, no manipulation, just learning to be what comes naturally to some.

And for the record, Paisley, I take no offense and mean none. I appreciate your opinions and see it all as good healty sharing of ideas.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Johnny B said:
Pickup artists are hilarious. They're almost always some idiot moron who mistakes their bravado for confidence and they have this entire language devoted to talking about how they didn't get laid:

"yeah i was sargin an hb7 and during the dinner i Used a few really good DHV stories i had and ran the Mnemonics game on her, and negged her by calling her evil, calling her a heart breaker, ect..... She reacted fairly well by sending constant IOIs of laughing and trying to tell me shes a nice person"

When you get down to it it's basically playing the law of averages: after the first couple dozen reject you for being an idiot you're bound to find one that doesn't

I agree the language can be funny. Many of these guys are tech guys, (not good social skills and the fact that the community had its roots in the old net server days) so it is natural that they would try to learn the skills in a technical, jargon heavy way. I don't agree that it is just averages. Certainly, making the effort will get you farther than not. But many men build on the ideas to develop more social confidance. And make no mistake, some of these guys, while not always my style, are quite good at what they do. At any rate, I applaud any guy who wants to stretch himself rather than sit and complain and accept his fate.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
And for the record, Paisley, I take no offense and mean none. I appreciate your opinions and see it all as good healty sharing of ideas.

I'm glad--I didn't mean any. I think it's great to learn how to meet people to have more friendships or a relationship, which is what you are trying to do. As for guys who learn this to use and discard people, most women who use their instincts know they're looking at a lounge lizard.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The cynic in me says that when the average woman learns to associate muttering jargon, lack of eye contact, and no personal style with software geniuses with mega earning power, the witty, chatty ones among us will be at the disadvantage.

Edward

Bartender
TheKitschGoth said:
One of my friends is into this kind of stuff, and sent me a link to a forum about it. It was weird.. some of it was common sense stuff, just ways of opening a conversation etc. other stuff just came across as a bit creepy, and far from respectful to the women.

I think it depends on the guy using the info. Whether he uses it to help create a connection/overcome shyness and lack of confidence, or if he uses it in a cold, calculating way. There was too much talk of leading women on then discarding them to find someone new on that particular forum. And a lot of suggestions of practising learnt "skills" on ugly women first :(

I'm not sure if it's the same guy.... shaven head, some facial hair? I read an interview in one of the London freesheets last night with an author of one of these books and there was just something repulsive about his tone in it. Nothing exactly explicit, but an implicit air of disrespect for the women targetted. In my experience, most of these things (which are, after all, the male Rules), are designed along the basis of psychological warfare and to some degree or other regard women as the enemy.... Anyhow, this guy in the article discussed how to deal with women where there is a language barrier. Now, eh, call me narrow minded if you will, but if you can't really communicate with someone, what's the point? I guess if it's purely a physical thing, then that's it. whatever consenting adults get up to is their choice, I guess, but one night stands were never my thing and the idea of not being able to converse with someone is a total turn off to me. [huh]

PrettySquareGal said:
You mean you want to be a lady killer! lol ;)

"Acquitted!"

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Edward said:
I'm not sure if it's the same guy.... shaven head, some facial hair? I read an interview in one of the London freesheets last night with an author of one of these books and there was just something repulsive about his tone in it. Nothing exactly explicit, but an implicit air of disrespect for the women targetted. In my experience, most of these things (which are, after all, the male Rules), are designed along the basis of psychological warfare and to some degree or other regard women as the enemy.... Anyhow, this guy in the article discussed how to deal with women where there is a language barrier. Now, eh, call me narrow minded if you will, but if you can't really communicate with someone, what's the point? I guess if it's purely a physical thing, then that's it. whatever consenting adults get up to is their choice, I guess, but one night stands were never my thing and the idea of not being able to converse with someone is a total turn off to me. [huh]

As far as I could tell from the forums I visited, there were a few different "gurus" all with different styles, and the guys on the forums could pay to spend a day being taught by them. I spent a while reading their experiences of their "training days", I never saw pictures of any of the "gurus" and they all seemed to have code names. I got the feeling they'd have been less than impressed with a girl reading their forum... shame, they'd have learnt more that way.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Neecerie said:
I just want to know where exactly this 'seduction community' is...Do they hold meetings, or is it like a union?
To quote reetpleet, it's a 'subculture of the "pick up" gurus. With the rise of the internet, it is a growing phenomenon, with roots in a few alt chat boards back in the early days of the net.'
Ten years ago my fiance, who has since passed away, was one. He wasn't on the net so would meet like-minded individuals in bars, strip joints, and through ads in swinger's newspapers, or just on the street, in the grocery store, it was mind-boggling which is why I don't know much or care to remember the little I did know about it. He and his God's-gift-to-women buddies would hit the clubs, parties, anywhere, and see who could score the most women and in the least amount of time. His nickname was Snake. Yikes!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Why am I thinking of Austin Powers--International Man of Mystery right now?

austin_powers_withthetwins.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
The cynic in me says that when the average woman learns to associate muttering jargon, lack of eye contact, and no personal style with software geniuses with mega earning power, the witty, chatty ones among us will be at the disadvantage.

I know what you mean. Further, I used to have a nice head of hair and a muscular build going for me, as well as being reasonably masculine and normal. But now bald heads and skinny emo kids are all the rage, and the nerdy tech guys seem to be catching up on me too.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
Why am I thinking of Austin Powers--International Man of Mystery right now?

austin_powers_withthetwins.jpg

Except Austin Powers really did have it. More so back in the sixties, but even in the modern day, he probably does pretty well.

Edward

Bartender
TheKitschGoth said:
As far as I could tell from the forums I visited, there were a few different "gurus" all with different styles, and the guys on the forums could pay to spend a day being taught by them. I spent a while reading their experiences of their "training days", I never saw pictures of any of the "gurus" and they all seemed to have code names. I got the feeling they'd have been less than impressed with a girl reading their forum... shame, they'd have learnt more that way.

Tres vrai.

CharlesB

Suspended
It's ashame none of these gurus ever point out that as long as you have a little self confidence, all you really need to do is say hello and converse with a woman like shes a human being

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
CharlesB said:
It's a shame none of these gurus ever point out that as long as you have a little self confidence, all you really need to do is say hello and converse with a woman like shes a human being

Bingo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points