Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A peek inside the seduction community.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
This is the subtitle of the book, "The Game" mentioned in a thread by Matt Deckerd. It switched to a discussion if the word cad, so I thought I would start a thread on the subculture of the "pick up" gurus. With the rise of the internet, it is a growing phenomenon, with roots in a few alt chat boards back in the early days of the net.

I wanted to post when I had some time, as this is a subject of interest to me. When I got out of my last relationship, I did some thinking and decided that I needed to learn to meet (pick up would be too negatively charged) women at will.

I have had some great girlfriends and attractive girlfriends too. I have also never found it particularly hard to end up in intimate, but less than committed relationships shall we say.

But I have never been any good at meeting women. through friends and such has always been my pattern.

But I always envied guys that could meet women and always felt bad about what I consider lack of self esteem and lack of skills. What I mean is, I want to be in a mental place where if I see a woman I want to meet, I can meet her. If she is not into me, or married or whatever, fine. But I hate the idea that I might miss a chance due to fear and lack of skill. I also hate the idea that I can only choose from the women who I somehow get introduced to or approach me (rare)

It feels very disempoewring. I want the power of being able to meet anyone I would like and make a good impression and if they are interested, see where it goes.

With that in mind, I have become a bit of a student of some of the various gurus so called. I will give a brief rundown. Even if you don't know them, it is a good insight. While it is tempting to see them all as sleazy and manipulative, I see it akin to books on sales skills. It is an attempt to help guys who do not have the skills to have the skills of the guys who are naturally good with women.

Neill Strauss. The Game was mentioned by Matt Deckard. Very interesting. I loved it as it was intriguing, funny and I like the author a lot. As a journalist, he was able to make it a good story with a certain bit of classic cautionary tale. Portraying his frined, Mystery, as ultimately going down the wrong path and being very unhappy. Mystery learned to be attractive to women but neverseemed to believe in himself much. The personal transformation Neil Strauss underwent by learning to trust and believe in himself is amazing. These days, he focus mostly on self esteem. Rightly so. Self esteem trumps all techniques and tricks. He is also very good at opening sets. that is what they call approaching a group. Attractive women are rarely alone, standing around waiting for aguy to approach them. But if you can approach a group, win over the guys and identify who is the leader of the women's group, and get her approval, then the woman you want to meet will feel comfortable with you and her friends will not try to block you. If you look at photos of Neil Strauss on line back when he was a nerdy rock journalist versus now, especially if you see video, you can not help but be impressed wiht his transformation.

Mystery. Strauss's friend. Very intelligent and interesting guy. But ultimately, he seems to have gotten too caught up in trying to make up for lack of self steem. WHile he is a very astute study of human behavior, his relyance on tricks nad techniques seems too false. It is a way of pretending to be confidant, not really being confidant. On the other hand, his techniques can give a guy a start in having a little success to build self esteem on. Famous for inventing the controversial "Neg" which is either a way to bring her down in status a little bit to your level, or a playful way to demonstrate you are not too concerned what she thinks of you depending on who you talk to. I consider them cheap tricks. Also very concerned about establishing status. This is not all manipulative. If you walk into a bar and greet and meet a lot of people, by the end of the night women will see you a a guy that everyone likes. Not so bad really because this is what naturally popular people do naturally. Mystery is the guy behind the tv show "the pick up artist. Possibly a victim of his own success in that his techniques, I have heard here and there, sometimes don't work so well because women say "oh, is this like from that tv show?" On a final note, while I applaud him for his personal growth, it can be hard to identify completly with a guy who is 6'4 and wears heeled boots to be 6'7 and dresses outrageously and hangs out in LA clubs. He is bound to be noticed. Mysterly also invented the idea of peacocking. That is, dressing outrageously or very stylishly. I suspect some women like it and some don't. But I guess the guys of this forum can relate a little. Dressing very well would fit into the idea of peococking. Standing out one way or another.

David DeAngelo. Very popular guy. Has many e-books and videos and gives seminars. He is another guy who went from being very unsuccessful to successful at meeting women. His technique is mainly, Cocky Funny. He believes in being cocky and teasing a girl like your kid sister. But you have to be playful and funny. I belive it can work, but do not care for it. It seems to me to be pretending to be confidend enough to say whatvever you want. Not the same as real confidance. I guess it can be preferable to a guy who is afraid to say anything but the blandest compliments. He does talk alot about "inner game" which is building your own self confidence and having a life outside of women. In other words, be interesting. De Angelo also believes men have to get back to being traditoanal men and not wissues, (somewhat true) but he stresses that you alwasy have to keep it up and the moment you show some sensitivity she will dump you. Naturally, if you act like someone you are not, then meet women, you will only be with women who like the pretend you, not the real you.

Joseph Matthews has an e-book I like called the art of the approach. It is not so much about pick up lines but about having something interesting to say when you meet a woman. Also one of the proponents of the five second rule. Not about eating food off the floor. It means, if you see someone you want to talk to you have five seconds to approach. If you wait longer, you can either talk yourself out of it, (so true) develop too much anxiety to be relaxed and normal, and if you wait too long then approach you can come off as creepy. I now this is true. Can't say why but I think most women agree.

Juggler. My favorite. I am reading his e-book. He is so different from the rest. He is about building natural charisma, self esteem and a little understanding of human nature. My favorite idea is that women do not want a guy to like them before you meet them. they want to be able to impress you and beliked for who they are, not for how good they look or because they are a woman. He believes a man's goal should be to be funny, interesting and fun enough to allow a woman to feel comfortable to show you who they are. Then give them positive feedback (if deserved) for who they show you they are. makes so much sense to me. Also a big believer in having fun and meeting a lot of people.

there is a guy name Zan who is well known. Seems creepy to me. He talks a lot about "loving women and the essence of women" and such. I love people and I love the woman I am with, I do not "love women" maybe it is just me and maybe I am not conveying it as his web site does. But he just seems weird. Appeals a lot to guys who want to be nice and are put off by some of the gurus who seem to advocate being mean or insulting. I can certainly understand their concerns. He does stress confidance and belief in yourself.

There are others I have seen on line. None that pop to mind.

I would like to stress that while some of what some of the gurus say is or seems manipulative and sleazy, much of it is about self esteem, being interesting, having something to say when you meet a woman, standing out and seeming to have status, as in people like you and respond well to you and not always being afraid of speaking your mind or saying something that might offend.

I have been doing some reading and perusing on line and plan to start practicing this summer when I am less busy. In other words, going out at night or day and instead of just keeping to myself or sitting with my friends in the corner, I want to approach people and meet them. Especially women. Seattle is a hard place to do to do that as they tend to be standoffish. It is called the Seattle Freeze and is well documented, although anecdotal.

I hope no one takes this wrong as in thinking I am out to be a cad in the old sense of the word. Far from it. I just want to power to meet anyone I want so will never feel like I am settling or will never see a woman I find attractive (so much more than just physical beauty) and have to wonder what could be or wish I could meet her. My goal is to believe I am worth knowing and that I am doing someone a favor by sharing myself with them. All people should feel this way. Then if someone doesn't like me, fine I will just move on to someone who dies.

Anyway, hope this is interesting to you.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
What Works and Doesn't Work on Me

...as far as men wanting to meet me. I haven't dated in a long time, but some men have made a good try and a good impression. :)

Confidence. The guys who make the best impression on me just come up and ask me for a dance or say "Hello, I'm Joe."

Respect. Respect yourself by taking pride in your appearance and manner. Don't be desperate and don't look at me like a piece of meat. Also, if I give someone the brush-off, I don't appreciate having to explain why I don't want their company. Does it really matter why?

Timing. I don't like hesitation, but I don't like guys going for the kill right away, either. One thing that's creepy is following someone around hoping to meet them. Either go up and say hello, or forget about it.

Interest. Showing some interest is important...but don't gush. And don't ask really personal questions.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
One of my friends is into this kind of stuff, and sent me a link to a forum about it. It was weird.. some of it was common sense stuff, just ways of opening a conversation etc. other stuff just came across as a bit creepy, and far from respectful to the women.

I think it depends on the guy using the info. Whether he uses it to help create a connection/overcome shyness and lack of confidence, or if he uses it in a cold, calculating way. There was too much talk of leading women on then discarding them to find someone new on that particular forum. And a lot of suggestions of practising learnt "skills" on ugly women first :(

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I like to get to know somebody pretty well before I start seeing them socially. (I won't even write a letter of recommendation for someone I've known less than a year.) A womanizer isn't going to stick around for someone who wants to cultivate a friendship first.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
...as far as men wanting to meet me. I haven't dated in a long time, but some men have made a good try and a good impression. :)

Confidence. The guys who make the best impression on me just come up and ask me for a dance or say "Hello, I'm Joe."

Respect. Respect yourself by taking pride in your appearance and manner. Don't be desperate and don't look at me like a piece of meat. Also, if I give someone the brush-off, I don't appreciate having to explain why I don't want their company. Does it really matter why?

Timing. I don't like hesitation, but I don't like guys going for the kill right away, either. One thing that's creepy is following someone around hoping to meet them. Either go up and say hello, or forget about it.

Interest. Showing some interest is important...but don't gush. And don't ask really personal questions.

I have alwasy said, I lvoe dancing because it is so fun, but also it gives you an easy to mee any woman in the room. It helps that I am pretty experienced anyway, so I can be very confidant and veen impress occasionally. If they can't dance I can sometimes teach them which they really love. But mainly, jut haveing an excuse to walk and having something to say "want to dance?" is the easiest thing in the world. If only everyone still danced. dance comunities can be kind of small.

Confidance is really important, but it does not good to tel someone to "be confidant" with no success. That is why I think these gurus are so effective. IF you can have a little success, you can beging to build confidance. Also, as you say, if someone isn't interested, don't let it bother you and move on. You should never have too muc htied up into one particular woman. Same for women, of course. there are plenty of fish in the sea.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
TheKitschGoth said:
One of my friends is into this kind of stuff, and sent me a link to a forum about it. It was weird.. some of it was common sense stuff, just ways of opening a conversation etc. other stuff just came across as a bit creepy, and far from respectful to the women.

I think it depends on the guy using the info. Whether he uses it to help create a connection/overcome shyness and lack of confidence, or if he uses it in a cold, calculating way. There was too much talk of leading women on then discarding them to find someone new on that particular forum. And a lot of suggestions of practising learnt "skills" on ugly women first :(

It can be creepy. Some men are quite angry at women due to their frustration and misdirecting it at women instead of bettering themselves.

In the community, it is commonly held that you should leave them better than you found them. Of course, some guys don't get it.

Also, I don't think they get that you should never practice on women you do not find attractive. Firstly, twhy be mean, secondly why waste your time, and thirdly, attractive women can be just as friendly or friendlier if you approach them right. Thirdly ,many gurus stress learning to appreciate everyone, then your love of life and people will shine through.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Fourthly, unless the "unattractive" woman is desperate for attention, she's going to know you're not really interested in her. In a small community, word of that kind of thing gets around.

I think it's better for everyone involved for a guy to look for a woman who gives him a warm, fuzzy feeling. That's exactly how I felt about the last guy I had a crush on.

"Leave them better than you found them" probably works better in theory than in practice, IMHO. [huh]

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
"Leave them better than you found them" probably works better in theory than in practice, IMHO. [huh][/QUOTE]

I suppose so. No one likes to be broken up with. And unless you marry someone you will have to break up with them or break things off if you aren't committed.

Certainly they will be hurt. But i guess the goal might be to have treated them well, shown them a good time, and maybe a few years from now, will they be able to look back on you positively as opposed to negatively.

I have always said, the one hurtful thing you can never blame someone for is not wanting to be with you. That is the one thing they can not be held responsible for. They either do or don't and that is their free choice. of course, you should not get started with someone you don't like in the first place.(leading them on) Anything else you do you are accountable for.

But I see nothing wrong with wanting to date a lot of people, and I intend to be quite ruthless (but kind) in moving on if someone is not right for me. That has been a problem in the past. Free them up to be with someone who will appreciate them.

that said, I alwasy expect to be honest, hounorable and do all I can to be thought well of down the road.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
I just want to power to meet anyone I want so will never feel like I am settling or will never see a woman I find attractive (so much more than just physical beauty) and have to wonder what could be or wish I could meet her. My goal is to believe I am worth knowing and that I am doing someone a favor by sharing myself with them. All people should feel this way. Then if someone doesn't like me, fine I will just move on to someone who dies.

You mean you want to be a lady killer! lol ;)

PrettySquareGal said:
You mean you want to be a lady killer! lol ;)
If that's the case, he darn well better not take an interest in anyone I know, and especially not anyone I care about or any of my students...

As for the thing about "practice", I'd say that's a "foul" unless she knowingly consents to the specific role of being your "sparring partner".

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The pick-up books just depress me. AFAIC, they all stand as subtle indictments, either of the men or the state of dating itself. There's something dehumanizing in all of them, not just to women, but to men too.

reetpleat, I'd probably be angry at women too if I was a little better socialized. Instead I'm angry at The Way Things Are, and there's no addressing that. I expect to turn out like Philip Larkin, the writer-poet-misanthrope, only without so many notches on my bedpost.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
If that's the case, he darn well better not take an interest in anyone I know, and especially not anyone I care about or any of my students...

As for the thing about "practice", I'd say that's a "foul" unless she knowingly consents to the specific role of being your "sparring partner".

I guess practice might not be the right word. I might marry the first girl I meet. But if I get shot down, am I going to say "never again" or will I say "well, it was good practice." I have no intention of being disengenuine. Anyone i talk to will be someone I want to talk to.

RP, an after-action review afterward's one thing--I'd say the prudent thing, actually. But when the intent from square one is only practice, leading the other side on, as some referred to, that's the quarrel--not accusing you personally, just referring to the concept in general.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Oh My.

I once had a very entertaining evening at a party that included a well known (read made his living at) "dating guru".

It was a group that knew each other by reputation rather than in person. I entered, and the first person I saw was said guru. I asked the things one likes to know upon arriving - where is the host, what do I do now, ect.

He was very subtle, but gave a "hey, I'm not interested in you, but I'm sure you're interested in me" vibe.
Perhaps he was very used to being hit on. I asked the next person my question and left.

As is my wont, I spent the night introducing myself to people, asking folks to come join my table, and by the end of the evening I was sitting at a table of lovely people having a very good time with each other.

The Guru? At an emply table. He left by himself.

[huh]

Oh, and Gentlemen: Ladies talk.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Miss Crisplock said:
Oh My.

I once had a very entertaining evening at a party that included a well known (read made his living at) "dating guru".

It was a group that knew each other by reputation rather than in person. I entered, and the first person I saw was said guru. I asked the things one likes to know upon arriving - where is the host, what do I do now, ect.

He was very subtle, but gave a "hey, I'm not interested in you, but I'm sure you're interested in me" vibe.
Perhaps he was very used to being hit on. I asked the next person my question and left.

As is my wont, I spent the night introducing myself to people, asking folks to come join my table, and by the end of the evening I was sitting at a table of lovely people having a very good time with each other.

The Guru? At an emply table. He left by himself.

[huh]

Oh, and Gentlemen: Ladies talk.

I sure would be curious to know who, but I assume you didn't say on purpose. I have always wondered if they are generally successful, or are sometimes very successful with certain women, and sometimes very unsuccessful. from what I see in most videos, is that they tend to be successful with women I have no interest in. I wonder how they would do with regular women, not LA club girls.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
I didn't say because

A) It wouldn't be kind. ...and

B) I've forgotten his name.

I think he spent the evening having less fun than he could have because he had an agenda that was different than the rest of the people there - couldn't care less about anyone who was not a target (including all the men and couples). The crowd may have been a problem as well - everyone had an area of expertise and like his some of them were social.

I'm sure he did a great deal of good for some gentlemen that find social situations intimidating.

But he didn't enjoy the party because in a manner of speaking he didn't have anything to bring to the party. He only had things he wished to take. That is not attractive.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Let me tell you about my best guy friend, one of the most popular guys I've ever met. He has a full social calendar and sometimes girls young enough to be his granddaughter want to date him, although he doesn't want to have a romantic relationship with anyone. No, he's not independently wealthy or particularly good looking or even tall.

His name is Joe. He's friendly, outgoing, and confident. He gives you his full attention when he talks to you or dances with you. He dances with newbies and doesn't hesitate to introduce himself. Basically, Joe has a positive attitude, a great interest in people and respect for women in particular. He doesn't look to take anything or make anyone feel inferior. And no, I don't think Joe ever read a book on how to pick up women.

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
Paisley said:
Let me tell you about my best guy friend, one of the most popular guys I've ever met. He has a full social calendar and sometimes girls young enough to be his granddaughter want to date him, although he doesn't want to have a romantic relationship with anyone. No, he's not independently wealthy or particularly good looking or even tall.

His name is Joe. He's friendly, outgoing, and confident. He gives you his full attention when he talks to you or dances with you. He dances with newbies and doesn't hesitate to introduce himself. Basically, Joe has a positive attitude, a great interest in people and respect for women in particular. He doesn't look to take anything or make anyone feel inferior. And no, I don't think Joe ever read a book on how to pick up women.

Joe sounds a lot like me. Some of us are just born with it.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24