Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A pictorial review of my new (vintage) Navy peacoat…(Yes, that tree is also in it!)

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hello everybody,

Today I’d like to show you some pics of my recently acquired Navy peacoat.

Here it is:

5335191027_b78366de47_z.jpg

Before I go into further detail I would like to thank Peacoat for sharing his knowledge and expertise with me. He was always willing to answer PMs and emails and without him I would have probably bought an inferior and over sized civilian coat. Thanks a lot!!
I would also like to thank Gary Wallace of www.vintagetrends.com for recommending a superbly preserved ’68 peacoat. When the parcel got lost and slipped off the tracking radar he even answered emails during Christmas holidays. The coat was safely packed and absolutely as described – in mint condition! Thanks Gary!

The coat itself is a 1968 model in size 38R, manufactured by Dale Fashions Inc.. I don’t know that brand and I have no idea if they are still in business or if they were a major/minor contractor to the US Navy.

Label

5334895627_147fc11a1f_z.jpg

The outer shell is made from midnight blue Kersey wool which is really thick and heavy but surprisingly soft with a velvet like surface. The pockets are lined with light grey moleskin. I would have preferred the earlier model with corduroy pockets but those are much more expensive if you want a decent one.
The fit is almost like if the jacket was custom made. It’s a trim military fit with high armholes, narrow torso and medium slim sleeves.

Trim torso

5335191035_8046be6f10_z.jpg

5335191039_fb103a1676_z.jpg

Not for the faint of heart! Upon arrival I carefully removed ALL anchor buttons (for the reason that they are anchor buttons) :eeek:. The were replaced by a full set of dark brown vintage NOS horn buttons. They are 1-2 mm smaller in diameter but considerably thicker. They work very well and I think that they are gorgeous. For a bit of contrast I’ve used Aero’s heavy duty olive drab thread.

Horn button, contrasting thread

5335507282_f75f25a92c_z.jpg

When the coat arrived it was quite wrinkled as it had stayed in a small box for almost two weeks. The wool felt a little dry due to the chemical cleaning process prior to shipping. I put it on a broad hanger and filled a spray bottle with hot water and two table spoons of fabric conditioner. I evenly misted the entire jacket, even the rayon lining and the result is absolutely remarkable. The wool is much softer now (with a fresh scent) and all wrinkles on the shell and the lining are gone. As you can see the jacket looks virtually brand new.

5335191041_6c0d83cde9_z.jpg

5335191037_0d87345f23_z.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Jan,
This Peacoat is absolutely fabulous and it fits you perfect. I think you did a nice job to replace the anchor buttons with the horn buttons. Also the contrasting od tread looks perfect. Congratulations!
Andy

CC-1

Familiar Face
You have the exact coat that was issued to me at NTC Orlando (Co. 048) in January 1969. I can attest it was a fabulous version even with the flannel pockets which did not rip or pill in over 25 years. Yours fits perfectly! The guy you got to model it looks great too :) My advice, don't wait to
shop for a second coat to replace this when it wears out. Now you have the experience and the time to back up your purchase and shop without pressure. Your coat will eventually wear out and you just don't know how fast time goes by. You will always look and feel right in a real pea coat. Years from now it will be hopeless to find one but now there are still great ones out there if you keep your eyes open. -luck, john

Aether

One of the Regulars
Very nice Jan.

Thanks to Peacoat's sticky I too am a convert to the Church of Kersey, a Peacoat really is an absolute must for any wardrobe.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
Looks good. I'd probably replace the buttons too. They remind me of seafood restaurants and make me think the coat might smell like fried shrimp.:D For future reference, you should state what suit size you normally wear.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Perfect fit. Another fine jacket. My peacoat is my go-to outerwear when the temps are 30-40 degrees. Mine doesn't fit quite as nice as yours and I had the sleeves shortened and torso taken in by a tailor. It's a Schott.

Nice tree. You do the gardening too? haha

Peacoat

Bartender
What a great coat with the "Church of Kersey" finish. Shoulders fit well, chest and waist are trim fitting, while allowing for a sweater underneath, and the torso and sleeve lengths are spot on. Overall an excellent fit. Couldn't have done better if I had fitted it myself! As CC-1 said, the model does a good job also.

Jack Burton: As I remember, Jan's chest size measures right at 39" (99 cm). I recommended he go down to a 38, rather than up to a 40. He nailed it! Congratulations, Jan, I know it took a while to get to you. I see your snow has mostly melted, but don't worry, there is still plenty of peacoat weather left there in north Germany. I don't even wear a peacoat unless the high for the day is in the low 30s. You will have enough of that over the next few months.

[Edit Note: Dale Fashions was a major supplier of peacoats for the Navy; I have at least one of them. Seems as though they were mostly in the 60s.]

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks fellas. Yes i am indeed very pleased with the jacket. It is very warm and almost windproof. The wool does have a nice weight behind it but is still surprisingly soft. It really is a quality jacket. Thanks to Peacoat i will have to look no further...

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Jan
I never expressed my admiration for your great taste (besides the fact that everything will look good on you! That's unfair!! ;) )
so I apologize now:
great style!!
I wish my peacoat look half that good on me!!

Ciao! :)

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks again everybody! But in fact the guy modelling the jacket isn't me. Just a fella who accidentally has the same measurements as I do! He is unemployed and homeless. I pay him 5 Eur per picture and another 10 for a cheap haircut and a shower at the local swimming pool prior to taking photos. However his teeth are all rotten away. That's why you rarely see him smiling...

This is the real me (with much better teeth):
resident-evil-zombie.jpg

As you can see I am also into 80s suits. Check the narrow lapel on my favourite suit jacket...

JanSolo

Practically Family
Those aren't Red Wings. And I bought these shoes because of their colour. They are Thorogoods. Here they are:
814-4200.jpg

Slightly cheaper than RWs but without doubt better made. I have owned both. they feature a rolled and cushioned top, solid brass hooks and eyelets, genuine double stitch welt, top quality oil-tanned leather etc.

Here's a useful link:
http://www.classic-kontor.de/shop/Produkte/Schuhe/Thorogood-Shoes.html

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
I really like that tree. Would you mind posting a picture without that guy with the shopping disorder standing in front of it?

PS: very nice coat indeed, Mr Solo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran