Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Poll: How many of us...?

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
I'm curious. How many of us collect only hats in our size, mostly with the intent of wearing them? How many have hats in sizes other than our own due to their unusual qualities and value as collectibles?

So far, I'm a hafta-fit-me kinda guy.

dlgilbert

New in Town
I will only buy hats that fit me with the sole intent of wearing them... so I guess I'm not technically a "collector." I'm just a guy who wears hats. ;-)

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Unless it's a very special hat -- e.g., it brings snowmen to life, or has extendable helicopter blades that pop out of the crown, I tend to stick with my size.

Simon

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
They have to fit or be easily adjusted to fit, otherwise I don't want them. Once in awhile I will buy a hat I find that is not my size if it fits someone I know will want it.

karol

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Fit is a must. I like wearing my lids. My only purchase that was too small was a Bowler Derby by Herbert Johnson for $10. Too good to pass up. Since then I've been trying to find one similar in quality that would fit, that won't break the bank.

Cheers!

Dan

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
At first , I bought hats in any size over a 7 that looked good. But since I've been wearing some of them I'll only buy a 7 /38 (my size) or a 7 1/2 . I've bought a few top hats for collecting purposes and very few of them are seen in big sizes . People of the past century had smaller heads .
A few months ago ,someone was selling a Stetson hat that was made in a limited edition of 10 pieces . It was made of ermine fur . I did some research on the hat and found out it was made in the late 1930's . The problem was ,it was a 7 . Too small for me but I was willing to pay 500.00 for it but the seller wasn't interested .He wanted 1000.00 but he had no sellers .

varga49

One of the Regulars
I'm relatively new at collecting, about a year now. At first I was buying for myself and a few others who wanted a good vintage hat to wear...about 40 hats later, ahem, I had only about 10 or 15 that fit me. My wife delivered the epiphany to me " only buy hats that fit you!!" Since then I'll only collect hats that will fit...among the ones that don't fit I have one excellent NIB Royal Stetson long oval,(kind of a sage green color I had never seen before) that I got from an ebay auction. It was too nice to pass up. It even came with an original hatpin. I have put several nice fedoras that don't fit me in our shop in town, but find that selling them is like selling puppies, you want them to go to good homes and be well taken care of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo