Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question about straight razors

Flapjacks

New in Town
Hello all,

I saw a great post about straight razors here, and it seems like you all are very knowledgeable about them. I have been shaving with a Parker SR1, which has a disposable blade, for a little over a year now, and it is my first razor. I thought I'd start out with something inexpensive just in case I wasn't fit to shave with a straight edge. Now I'm so happy with the process and ritual of straight edge shaving that I've written a post about my love for it, which has gotten many of my friends to try it out!

I'm at the point where I am considering the purchase of a Dovo razor, which obviously has a non-disposable blade. My questions is this: what are the benefits/drawbacks of using a non-disposable straight edge blade over a disposable blade straight razor?

Thanks guys!

Flapjacks

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Benefits:

You NEVER have to buy another razor (in theory).
Just keep resharpening and resharpening, stropping and stropping. No buying new blades.
The razor (with proper care) will last for centuries.

Drawbacks:

The razor needs proper care. You can't just chuck it around like your disposable razor. It needs to be dried thoroughly after each shave, to prevent rusting.

I've never used disposable straight blades so I don't know the advantage of a "proper" straight razor over disposables.

Benefit of straight razor: cost. For £150 or so, the Dovo razor will last a lifetime, with the aid of a £30 strop. Gillette Mach3 disposables are at about £5 for 4. They're blunt after a single shave (at least with my beard hair). Very expensive in the long run.

bk

dnjan

One Too Many
I have a couple of "new" razors, but normally use a vintage razor. Recently picked up a German "Ern 38" razor (made in Wald, from their pre-Solingen days) at an antique store for under $40. My "travel" razor is a German (Solingen) stainless 4/8 razor I picked up on Ebay for about the same price, including shipping.

As far as I can tell, the only advantage of a straight razor with disposable blades is for barbershops in jurisdictions that require sterilization of implements that could possibly draw blood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo