Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Review - U.S. Authentic G-1

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
No seam fur collar , quite full sleeves and they seem to run long. Definitely not issue jacket so very educated guess ha ha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
Got an e mail from us wings re the uscg g1s I will put it on when I get on the desktop pc. It answers our questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deacon211

One Too Many
It does surely look like a USW G-1.

It's nice to see an actual Coastie wearing one....though I think she could go down a size!

On the Cockpit 100 Missions G-1 thread, you'll see that the Cockpit also claims to be a supplier to the Navy and the CG according to the website. That's why having an actual Coastie actually wearing the jacket is (to me) much more definitive.

Of course she could have gone aftermarket...but let's not go there. :D

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
Thank you for your email. I have attached a measurement chart for the Coast Guard Jackets. I have seen a few older Excelled G-1’s, but, I am not sure of the comparison as far as sizing. While Excelled is a supplier for G-1’s, they are not the sole provider. We have provided the goatskin G1 with Mouton Collars for years on a no bid contract. Different Bases order how many ever they need directly from us. We just shipped out several today to the Coast Guard Liason Station in Pensacola. There may be some bases that order through the system, but we supply jackets for numerous bases directly. Hopefully the sizing chart helps.

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
511e91c672a0625fe9e308d6b3a770d4.jpg
1e8be130ccc7e55af595461750a802bf.jpg
1d26b72c168dd35f2acec45e8aca88ae.jpg

All look live Us wings no seam except last one

Deacon211

One Too Many
That is fascinating stuff Peter! This was much as I surmised about the Coasty G-1s, though it seems to have been going on from much longer than I ever thought.

As I said before, I'm not surprised that the CG buys their own stuff aftermarket...if they got it through the NAVAIR supply chain they'd be wearing USN stamped G-1s just like the Marines do. It is interesting that each base buys their own and that it sounds like every base does it.

You would think that the Coast Guard would just buy bulk, like the Navy/Marines from one vendor. But perhaps circumventing the usual bidding process allows them to buy these nicer jackets without all the red tape.

They do wear them big though! Your Excelled fits much more flatteringly and much more like the older jackets. I'd love to see a brand spanking new Excelled from P-cola and compare the fit of the two.

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
This is from the other thread I posted on. My brand new Excelled 2008
0c42263b06f491a8e6d8ebb971232c6d.jpg
3753d1db4f4e99dd992e492b2857059c.jpg

Deacon211

One Too Many
It's a good looking jacket Peter.

I was actually hoping to see something recently issued, like a 2016, just to see the state of the art in fit and quality.

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
2008 was the last Dscp label the current issue is exactly the same just has a Dla quarterdeck label

df64e969c22a018d7ba288fab9d9ce3a.jpg

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
That Excelled G-1 could have been purchased two days ago for $200. They had a huge winter sale.

Skyhawk

Vendor
511e91c672a0625fe9e308d6b3a770d4.jpg
1e8be130ccc7e55af595461750a802bf.jpg
1d26b72c168dd35f2acec45e8aca88ae.jpg

All look live Us wings no seam except last one

That email is good stuff! So some of the USCG commands do Private purchases directly and do not go through the supply system. That would make the deviations from the specifications make sense.

However, these 3 Coasties appear to have the synthetic collars on them. Not as lucky as some I guess.

I would guess that the missing bottom seam could pass DOD inspection, it is a pretty minor deviation. I don't think that Goatskin and real fur would be acceptable for a contract jacket though. It is clearly stated as not allowed in the specs.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I would guess that the missing bottom seam could pass DOD inspection, it is a pretty minor deviation. I don't think that Goatskin and real fur would be acceptable for a contract jacket though. It is clearly stated as not allowed in the specs.

Well of course, without having a supply of Coopers, Schotts, Pharrs, and Excelleds (did I miss any?), I can't tell you what the labels all say, but there is a Cooper on the Bay with no blue label that specifically says "goatskin" according to the guy who is selling them. The same as my blue labelled Cooper. My Pharr says "genuine leather", so I'm guessing cow.

The Cooper that I had on active duty also looked a lot like goat in that it was grainy and pebbly while not looking rolled or pressed. The Pharr definitely looks like the "grains" are glued together...very likely because the grains are actually rolled or pressed.

So I don't know.

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
That Excelled G-1 could have been purchased two days ago for $200. They had a huge winter sale.

I've been tempted by that offer. I do wonder if those jackets are exactly the same as the issued ones. As Peter pointed out, the Cockpit issue A-2 he had and the civie version were different in the leather. And if in fact what Skyhawk is saying means that issued Coopers were no doubt about it cow, then their civil line and issue line were made of completely different animals.

That's kind of why I'd like to see a DLA Excelled from recent years out of curiosity.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I've been tempted by that offer. I do wonder if those jackets are exactly the same as the issued ones. As Peter pointed out, the Cockpit issue A-2 he had and the civie version were different in the leather. And if in fact what Skyhawk is saying means that issued Coopers were no doubt about it cow, then their civil line and issue line were made of completely different animals.

That's kind of why I'd like to see a DLA Excelled from recent years out of curiosity.

They are cow hide, with synthetic collars. With regards to grain, it is all over the place. I have goat that looks like a cow, and cow that looks like a goat!

Skyhawk

Vendor
Must be that mutant hybrid Goatcow I have been hearing so much about ;)

Yes the Coastie lady has real fur, I saw that. She could be a lucky member of a unit that private purchased them from USW. But the other Coasties have synthetic collars. It appears some units may get the spec ones, and some get the US Wings version.

In addition I just had this thought:

The USCG is a part of the Department Of Homeland Security, except when acting as a service in support of the Navy. The USN and USMC are different as they fall under the Department of the Navy. The DOD USN specs for the G-1 jacket may not have much meaning in the USCG because from what I understand, they are not governed by the Department of the Navy most of the time. The G-1 specs are put in place by the Naval Air Systems Command, Department of the Navy. The USCG or The Dept of Homeland Security are not mentioned anywhere in the G-1 specs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred